Server Save Message - Does this matter?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sinatra SUN-FoW

Server Save Message - Does this matter?

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

I am not sure if this has been discussed nor how much anyone really cares... old OSI server saves were totally different than the bright yellow text that we see now... Just curious if this was of importance, I know that it sounds silly but I have screens of the old save messages on OSI shard Atlantic before November 99. It is a grey type with pretty big lettering. It also did not say how quickly the world was saved on. I love this shard, thank you for all the hard work - just trying to help!
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

Dagon

Re: Server Save Message - Does this matter?

Post by Dagon »

more detailed last save /server going down messages were added a couple months ago because there were some mentally challenged people that couldnt understand what was going on or why they lost connection and their macros messed up, etc.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:I am not sure if this has been discussed nor how much anyone really cares... old OSI server saves were totally different than the bright yellow text that we see now... Just curious if this was of importance, I know that it sounds silly but I have screens of the old save messages on OSI shard Atlantic before November 99. It is a grey type with pretty big lettering. It also did not say how quickly the world was saved on. I love this shard, thank you for all the hard work - just trying to help!
Can you attach these screenshots to this message?

I never remember seeing any warning at all on OSI.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

During the very early days OSI actually used the yellow text but in much larger letters until they started doing world saves before server wars that started using the standard grey text that are used in system messages such as skills, etc...

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

OSI only saved once a day..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Faust

Post by Faust »

Alatar, normally this was true. However, a world save was always done before a server went down with a standard world save message. There were many instances of them doing this in the early days when there was a problem that required immediate attention. Baja had several problems in '99 with issues and crashes where this happened quite frequently in spurs.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Faust wrote:Alatar, normally this was true. However, a world save was always done before a server went down with a standard world save message. There were many instances of them doing this in the early days when there was a problem that required immediate attention. Baja had several problems in '99 with issues and crashes where this happened quite frequently in spurs.
Ah, I was unaware they had an actual message displayed when saves occured. I don't think I ever witnessed an actual save, I only knew they were done when the server downed.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Faust

Post by Faust »

I think that I still have an old screen shot of the large yellow message on my dead PC.

I will try to post it whenever I get around to cleaning up the mess on that hard drive(s). I'm not actually sure which hard drive it may be on and keep putting off the work. :/

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Np, here this the screen shot - it has a date tagged on it as well.

It is rather big so I provided the URL

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1405/s ... 6at111.png
Attachments
screenshot19990126at111[1].png
screenshot19990126at111[1].png (688.76 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
Last edited by Derrick on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: attached so we don't lose it

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Sandro wrote:
Faust wrote:Alatar, normally this was true. However, a world save was always done before a server went down with a standard world save message. There were many instances of them doing this in the early days when there was a problem that required immediate attention. Baja had several problems in '99 with issues and crashes where this happened quite frequently in spurs.
Ah, I was unaware they had an actual message displayed when saves occured. I don't think I ever witnessed an actual save, I only knew they were done when the server downed.

You are right but the message only occurred once a day. Then shortly after there was a time period where nothing would save and servers would go on down time

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I dont remember any message at all, that's why everyone playing in the late night/early morning on pacific would be frantically asking if it was saving before heading off to the GY. Not to doubt you, I am a little hazy when it comes to details, but are you sure that the picture isnt from SPHERE or WOLFPACK server(s)??

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I think some of you are wrong.

I remember back around 1998 it was definetly a grey text like the screenshot above and all it would say to indicate server wars was like "The server will be going down shortly".

I think it did it twice, and it was the 2nd one that meant it was saved.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

I am 100% sure this occured that pic is from OSI straight T2A era. There were server wars that did occur. It would be something to the effect of a the server will be going down shortly anything after this message will not be saved.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

MatronDeWinter wrote:I dont remember any message at all, that's why everyone playing in the late night/early morning on pacific would be frantically asking if it was saving before heading off to the GY. Not to doubt you, I am a little hazy when it comes to details, but are you sure that the picture isnt from SPHERE or WOLFPACK server(s)??
100% sure I took this picture when I was playing on Atlantic in 99. Running around with my guild the Pluggers

Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mordalf »

I think the server save message is a good idea. It lets those of us with bad ISPs know that our internet isn't puking again. And it lends to the staff's sanity because they don't get pounded with, "my game keeps freezing", and "is this what they meant by time warping" and other such messages.

Though I do agree that the Yellow Neon, and the system timer display do make the message seem somewhat long and as if it takes up more space on the screen than it needs to. What I would suggest trying, if at all possible, change the color of the text. Also, if its not important for debugging and monitoring the system, and again if possible, drop the timer info from the message as well. Other than that, IF IT AN"T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!! You put the messages in for a reason, it seems to be doing its job, lets leave it at that. No matter how era accurate we want this shard, it has to be playable, and maintainable for it to work. From what I can tell it was a major maintenance and player relation issue that made you put the message in, so for the sake of keeping the problem under control leave it be.
GM editor (I've clicked edit enough times)