Wis Quas

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
corr]

Wis Quas

Post by corr] »

On UOSA the reveal spell seems to work on an extremely large area. Is this the way it was? I tried looking at stratics with the archive.org site but I can't find anything regarding the range of the reveal spell. Based on memory alone I would say it is too much.

romm221b

Re: Wis Quas

Post by romm221b »

corr] wrote:On UOSA the reveal spell seems to work on an extremely large area. Is this the way it was? I tried looking at stratics with the archive.org site but I can't find anything regarding the range of the reveal spell. Based on memory alone I would say it is too much.
Its not to big and its directionally based. If you reveal infront of you and hes behind you, it usually won't reveal him enless you reveal right on yourself.
[12:40] <Derrick> all healthcare is free in britainnia. I guess it does work in some places.
[12:40] <Layt> boom. health reform in 30 seconds. take a page from Derrick's book obama
My IRC name: Zebulone
My Characters: Zeus,Muay Thai,Rem Jr

corr]

Post by corr] »

romm221b wrote:
corr] wrote:On UOSA the reveal spell seems to work on an extremely large area. Is this the way it was? I tried looking at stratics with the archive.org site but I can't find anything regarding the range of the reveal spell. Based on memory alone I would say it is too much.
Its not to big and its directionally based. If you reveal infront of you and hes behind you, it usually won't reveal him enless you reveal right on yourself.

Generally when I reveal in the center of a patio or tower, it'll catch people near the walls. The radius has got to be at least 5 tiles.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I thought the radius changed based on your magery level.

Also, semi-related: I believe when casting Reveal, your Magery is compared with the Hiding skill of those hidden. So you can cast Reveal, but if they're a GM Hider, you may not reveal them. But, if you're a GM Mage, you reveal even GM Hiders every time they're in your radius.

However, Detect Hidden seems to be seriously neutered. I've got a GM Detecter, and I've failed numerous times to detect GM Hiders, when I target the square next to me - the very square they're standing on! I feel like Detect Hidden should follow the same comparison rule that Magery does - I.E. at 50 skill, you can fail to detect a GM Hider, even if you target right on top of them. At GM Magery/Detect, you never fail due to a skill difference. Just my recollection.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

On the subject of the Reveal spell, the range should be like any other spell and only reveal anyone who is 2 tiles out from the target tile. This function is supported in the demo code, and no patch notes point out any changes to the spell during T2A.

As for detecting hidden, the unfortunate reality is that the skill is working as intended. Here is the information that talks about the change to the skill from 9/16/98 patch notes:
Detect hidden changes:
  • Radius of detection based on your skill level in it. The radius you can detect hidden in will now increase based on your skill, up to almost the full screen for a grandmaster.
  • Better hiders will be harder to find than poor ones.
  • Chance of detecting based on checking your skill vs the hidden person's hide skill. The better you are at the detect hidden skill, the better you will be at finding even the better hiders. You can expect to be totally unable to find a grandmaster hider if you are just a neophyte at the skill.
  • "distance" effect making it harder to detect people farther from the center of your search area. The farther the hidden person is from the center of your search area, the harder it is to find them.
Unfortunately the skill only works with a 50/50 shot of detecting the other player. A very common tactic during T2A and later during UOR after the introduction of auto hiding when moving through Moongates was to use the Detecting Hidden skill on a character with 0 hiding. If you had 0 Detecting Hidden skill, you would maintain the same 50% detect ratio that a GM detector would have on a character with GM hiding. This particular tactic was very effective on players who cast invisibility and did not have any hiding.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kaivan wrote:Unfortunately the skill only works with a 50/50 shot of detecting the other player.
Distance is supposedly a factor though. So a GM Detector cannot always have a 50/50 shot of finding a GM Hider, right? It should be 50/50 at a particular distance, but more than that at a closer distance and less than that at a farther distance.

Also... since Detect Hidden is targeted, and is "almost a full screen" at GM... theoretically, if I target the farthest tile possible from me, would I detect people who are literally off my screen? Because they could be off my screen, but still well within the screen of my target cursor.

corr]

Post by corr] »

Kaivan wrote:On the subject of the Reveal spell, the range should be like any other spell and only reveal anyone who is 2 tiles out from the target tile. This function is supported in the demo code, and no patch notes point out any changes to the spell during T2A.
Right not that is not how it is. Is it going to changed as how you describe it at any point?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

You're correct, the 50/50 chance is only on the exact tile that the person is hidden on. Naturally when using the skill on someone who is hidden with no skill in hiding, you would need to target the tile that they are standing on in order to attempt to detect them.

As for the distance that the skill works at, the radius of detection is from the center of where you targeted (probably using a formula to determine the range of radius = skill / 10) out until the maximum range, with a decreasing chance to detect a hidden person the farther from the center you were. So, in this case, it could theoretically be possible to detect a hidden person well of your screen if you targeted the skill at the maximum allowable distance, and they were within the radius of the skill's effect.
corr] wrote:
Kaivan wrote:On the subject of the Reveal spell, the range should be like any other spell and only reveal anyone who is 2 tiles out from the target tile. This function is supported in the demo code, and no patch notes point out any changes to the spell during T2A.
Right not that is not how it is. Is it going to changed as how you describe it at any point?
By all means it should be. Its technically an accuracy issue.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kaivan wrote:You're correct, the 50/50 chance is only on the exact tile that the person is hidden on.
Do we have any proof of this? Or how the chance scales as your target is farther and farther from the hidden person? Do we just use RunUO default? The patch note is pretty vague, and since it was 9/16/98, I'd assume the demo code for Detect Hidden will not be helpful.

Sorry to kind of sidetrack here, but I just don't remember this skill being so awful back in the day. I suppose it's possible I was always detecting non-GM-hiders back then, I dunno...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The current Reveal range is MagerySkill/20 and success is based, on magery + detect hidden, vs Hiding + stealth.
The range and difficulty are both RunUO default. I believe the difficulty formula to be correct. Not sure about the range.
Last edited by Derrick on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo: Reveal, not detect
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

ultra
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ultra »

I know this is an ancient thread, but it's already here--why make a new one, right? ;) Reveal is broke.... You could not cast Reveal and it pop someone 5-8 tiles away from where you click the ground. It had to be cast directly on the person hiding. I couldn't figure it out what the deal was until I tested it out myself with my GM Mage vs. my GM Hider. I was like wtf, these pks must be the luckiest pin-pointers in the world, even with tracking. Being one tile away from Wis Quas saved my tail so many times and this was between 97-2000. Tab + Teleport + hide in front of a player attacking you, seems to be "borked" too. It works with NPC's though....

Edit: Confirmed - Reveal spell only reveals targeted tile. It has always been that way and never changed. Detect hidden has a radius bonus but the spell does not. http://www.uoguide.com/Reveal

s20dan

Post by s20dan »

You could not cast Reveal and it pop someone 5-8 tiles away from where you click the ground. It had to be cast directly on the person hiding.
Thats exactly how I always thought it was supposed to work. I can't find any patch notes that indicate a change to its range so therefor it must have remained the same.

And the only info I could find was this:

http://www.uoguide.com/Reveal
Reveals the presence of any invisible creatures or players within the targeted tile. Chance to reveal is enhanced with the Tracking and Detecting Hidden skills. Targets with high Hiding and Stealth can resist being revealed.
http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/magic.shtml
Reveals a hidden player. Useful against stealthing thieves, Orc Scouts, a hiding orange, or people that are up to no good.
Reveal will always reveal players hidden by the Invisibility spell, but against players using the Hiding skill it will check the hiders Hiding and Stealth skills against your Magery and Detect Hidden Skills.
And:
http://stratics.com/community/threads/w ... al.126837/

The last two don't mention range, however they do mention how difficult it should be to detect a GM hider.

My memory of reveal is that it would only reveal people on the tile you targetted it at.
I only ever used detect hidden in my house where it would detect anyone present with 0 real detect hidden skill but I don't recall what era that was in. It's something that still worked last time I was on OSI.
Does it do that here?

EDIT//

I suppose I should have finished reading ultra's post as he had already found the info on UOguide. :)
ultra wrote: Edit: Confirmed - Reveal spell only reveals targeted tile. It has always been that way and never changed. Detect hidden has a radius bonus but the spell does not. http://www.uoguide.com/Reveal

ultra
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ultra »

s20dan wrote: I only ever used detect hidden in my house where it would detect anyone present with 0 real detect hidden skill but I don't recall what era that was in. It's something that still worked last time I was on OSI.
Does it do that here?
Yes. It works here.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

To interject, here is the information we know about reveal from the era. First, reveal has a two tile radius around its target area. This is verified in the demo, and no patch notes change that distance during or after T2A. Second, reveal does not account for player skills when revealing players, and will always reveal a player who is within range. This was changed with the January 2005 patch that states the following about reveal:
Reveal uses Magery and detect hidden vs. hide and stealth

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

My post above is inaccurate to current mechanics. Reveal does not check skills on Second Age: I was looking at AOS code when I checked this and made the post back in 2010.

I will be fixing the range on this soon. Thanks for the Bump ultra.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."