The unbalancing (and repetitive) effect of Free Use.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

The unbalancing (and repetitive) effect of Free Use.

Post by Hemperor »

I propose to remove free use from every single event.

Not only are the same 15 people dueling on test shard everyday all day, but then they log on to SecondAge for some more unlimited free fun.

When majority of the action a lot of players (and newbs) see is events, why give free use? This never happened on OSI, if PlayerA can't afford the amount of resources he wants, he should be limited and how well he performs should reflect that.

After all, he is contending for an 18k~ trophy point.

This would completely fix tournaments in my opinion, although there is already a topic about that, so I won't go in depth...Mini heal spam is just as useful (lame) in every other event.

The consumption of resources (and the loss of durability on items) is a necessary gold sink in UO, it should exist in events as well. Timmy who just started here 20 minutes ago shouldn't have the same chance at getting an 18k trophy point as Faust because he showed up with a single greater heal pot.

My opinion, yours?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Anthrax

Re: The unbalancing (and repetitive) effect of Free Use.

Post by Anthrax »

I respect your opinion on the situation at hand, but tbh, but taking away free-use events, would make events even more shitty, cuz when u run outta regs, but u win..... ur gonna be stuck in the next round with no regs, and thats no good.....

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Unless there's time to restock at the bank in the tourney arena between fights.
What's the point anyhow? It isn't like you are going to be looted. Might as well stock up to 300 ea reg.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Pretend this isn't about tournaments, Faust already has a topic going on that which solves those problems. This is about every other event.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i duno, imagine a 20 minute ctf with all mages having no regs just running around with hallies :D
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

BlackFoot wrote:i duno, imagine a 20 minute ctf with all mages having no regs just running around with hallies :D
Things happen, that's called switching it up! If PlayerA is running low on heal regs because the other team has been dumping on him relentlessly for the past 10 minutes, trying to get him to drop the flag, that makes sense to me!

What happens when you run out of regs on the field or during a gank? Should Derrick step in then and call a timeout?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

haha yea derrick helps me out all the time, why do you think i win tourny matches :P

you could try it the way the non free use tournys are now though, kinda mix some free use with non free use ones

survival and tournys are non free use now, which game would you suggest trying it out in first?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I'm hoping that all tournaments are eventually replaced, currently they are no skill "whos hally will hit in sudden death" bashes. But again, there is already a few topics open on the issue.

It's more the mentality, all events should not have free use.

Why is it in in the first place?

Does it represent the era in anyway?

Does it disturb that natural "gold" flow?

Important questions when discussing free use.

GomerPyle

Post by GomerPyle »

the events are for fun, this isnt the place to implement a gold sink. dont be such a party pooper. free use is in because in the field you have the opportunity to recall and restock - in events you do not. events are not a battle of who can stock themselves better... you win events by outplaying other people, not by outstocking them. also note that there are a couple non-free use events in the schedule.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I support this message.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Faust

Post by Faust »

hiicha wrote:I support this message.
We are in agreement.

Strange, eh?

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

20 min ctf you wont run out of regs cap. I support this idea.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Faust wrote:
hiicha wrote:I support this message.
We are in agreement.

Strange, eh?
Not really, we do both strive for accuracy. We just butt heads on certain accuracies.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Faust

Post by Faust »

GomerPyle wrote:the events are for fun, this isnt the place to implement a gold sink.
We are in need of a gold sink.

This shard is hitting a new record high item count each and every day. This has been hitting Derrick hard if you haven't noticed. I remember awhile back he absolutely refused to even ask for donations but this has changed since those days for this reason alone. It's not that he's greedy and anyone that knows him knows that this isn't the case. He is hands down the best admin any shard could have. High item counts puts more stress on the hardware in return costing more money for better hardware. Pretty simple process to understand.

I know removing items that are considered resources(items with an amount) isn't as good as removing non-resource items but it's still better than nothing. We would be removing reagents, bandages, potions, ammo, gold, and everything else that is being left out.

Something is better than nothing.

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

If you can't afford to pvp without free-use, then you need to spend time doing other things in order to get the money.

There are very few things in this game you need to spend money on after you've played for a bit. Why not add a couple more? Pots, Bandages, and Regs won't really hurt anything and they won't bankrupt players. It will, however, force people who want to participate to dip into their ever growing piles of money.