Are there mechanics used in Magic Untrap I'm not aware of?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Stan Livingstone

Are there mechanics used in Magic Untrap I'm not aware of?

Post by Stan Livingstone »

I have no problem untrapping vendor strongboxes around town, but I keep fizzling on metal chests. Is it that metal chests in town can't be untrapped or do I need better Magery (it's in mid 30's now)?

Thanks

Freeza

Re: Are there mechanics used in Magic Untrap I'm not aware of?

Post by Freeza »

Stan Livingstone wrote:I have no problem untrapping vendor strongboxes around town, but I keep fizzling on metal chests. Is it that metal chests in town can't be untrapped or do I need better Magery (it's in mid 30's now)?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure magic trap is a second level spell (requiring 20 magery to cast). Only have 30 magery allows for a high chance to fizzle. Around 50 magery you should cast it 99% of the time.
Markmosthandsome wrote:
Finesse wrote:-f- disbanded no comment.
lol wtf I'm in the guild and Idk what's going on....

<Pristiq> Shut up prodigy you anti-intellectual simian.

Stan Livingstone

Freeza wrote: I'm pretty sure magic trap is a second level spell (requiring 20 magery to cast). Only have 30 magery allows for a high chance to fizzle. Around 50 magery you should cast it 99% of the time.

I fizzled 15 straight times and never got the spell off on metal chests and fizzled maybe 4 times on 3 strongboxes.

Something doesn't add up. Can someone test this if that possible?

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

Stan Livingstone wrote:
Freeza wrote: I'm pretty sure magic trap is a second level spell (requiring 20 magery to cast). Only have 30 magery allows for a high chance to fizzle. Around 50 magery you should cast it 99% of the time.

I fizzled 15 straight times and never got the spell off on metal chests and fizzled maybe 4 times on 3 strongboxes.

Something doesn't add up. Can someone test this if that possible?
Metal chests have a higher level (harder to untrap) trap.
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

Stan Livingstone

zzyzx wrote: Metal chests have a higher level (harder to untrap) trap.
Does that mean I need higher Magery and/or Detect Hidden or that I just have to suffer through all the fizzles?

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

Stan Livingstone wrote:
zzyzx wrote: Metal chests have a higher level (harder to untrap) trap.
Does that mean I need higher Magery and/or Detect Hidden or that I just have to suffer through all the fizzles?
You'll never be able to untrap it even with 100 magery. All your magery skill will do is prevent fizzles from just casting the spell. You are fizzling because you are failing to remove the trap I believe, not because you are failing to cast the spell.

Magic untrap only works on simple traps. You will need the "Remove Trap" skill to remove the more difficult traps.
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

I may also recommend you just back away from the chest and use "telekenisis" to open it. This will trigger the trap but you will be at a safe distance.

Remove trap is good for stealthers because you can use the skill without becoming unhidden.

Stan Livingstone

Thanks for the info.

I think I might go the remove trap route even though it's not part of "teh leet" templates :lol:

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Remove trap is an Elite skill, depends on how you utilize it. Elite doesn't always apply to combat mind you.

Very few people have it GMEd on this shard. Because they arent in professions that would use remove trap much.

Here are some examples with alternate skills that would use remove trap/detect hidden. Most are house looters, deviant vegabonds, or treasure hunters. Just because a chest is unsecured it doesnt mean its not trapped and trying to telekenesis on it in a small will kill you something major.

Most temps with the Remove Trap skill have these skills as a base

Remove Trap
Detect Hidden
Stealth
Hide
Magery...primarily for transportation
Lockpicking.
*Alternate skill(s)

and for the alternate skills

*Steal - primarily for rare hunting you probably could go 50/50 with another skill. (In fact needing only 50 detect hidden for remove trap you could actually choose one more to GM or choose two from below also at 50 if you dropped it...such as tracking, meditation, or item identification which arent completely useless below GM levels)

*Item Identification-for better identification and prices when selling magic items to NPC vendors

*tinkering- for placing chests where the spawned ones were. Eventually we might be able to trap spawned chests if that is ever fixed. But putting chests down you trapped in your own house well that's legit and won't give you a count.

*Cartography- although near useless against spawn this temp would be your ultimate crowbar. Keep invisible ready to prepare yourself against the unearthed mobs.

*Tracking- Nothing like stealthing through dungeons nabbing treasure from chests then finding a solo hunter up to his gorget in spawn hidden from view with tracking. With tracking and detect hidden they know they can run but they can't hide.
*Pop* they come out of hiding with little health and the spawn eats them alive. One summoned Vortex and you are dry looting remains. Another use for this is to avoid asking the house owner if he is at home.

*Meditation/wrestling/resist-all viable skills if you are expecting too much confrontation you dont think you will get out of easily.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Return to “New Player Help”