Boats.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Zane

Boats.

Post by Zane »

What is the bug or exploit that allows people to take things off your boat that are otherwise to far to pick up.

I know decks aren't secure, but I also know there are spots that keep people from being able to reach them. If it's possible, and "era accurate", I want to know what it is.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Boats.

Post by Duke Jones »

I would assume anything on the edges (not on the same middle section as the mast) is fair game to be looted.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Zane

Post by Zane »

what about an edge that is blocked?

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

what do you mean? Can you give an example to clarify?
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Zane

Post by Zane »

Leave a boat parked alongside something like a mountain or the wall at serpent's hold or even another boat (that belongs to you of course) and the item(s) on the "protected" side should be inaccessible. If I'm wrong so be it.

I know there was an exploit in the very early days of UO that allowed you to take this stuff anyway, but I know OSI fixed it long before the period this server uses. Is there another one I don't know about that is in play?

This time it was a lot of ore that was taken. Previously I've had a rather large pile of leather hides taken from a center tile of a boat that I just chocked up to a bug. Now I'm starting to wonder. I didn't really play T2A on OSI (I played before it), but if there is an era accurate exploit that allows this sort of thing I'd like to know even if I don't get to know the exploit.

Zane

Post by Zane »

OK, this is not an exploit regarding boats in the way I thought. I now know my hold was accessed as well.

I know my keys were secure. I am very, very annoyed right now.

fatmagic

Post by fatmagic »

Zane wrote:OK, this is not an exploit regarding boats in the way I thought. I now know my hold was accessed as well.

How did they access your hold if it wasn't an exploit - and your keys were secure?

Zane

Post by Zane »

fatmagic wrote:
Zane wrote:OK, this is not an exploit regarding boats in the way I thought. I now know my hold was accessed as well.

How did they access your hold if it wasn't an exploit - and your keys were secure?
Keys were/are secure. The theory was not tested, so I'm not entirely sure if it is accurate. Not even sure it would be considered an exploit. My reluctance to reveal basically comes down to 3 things... 1. It wasn't my theory, and I'm hesistant to reveal if he doesn't want it to be. 2. Not sure of era accuracy so it could create an issue either way. 3. It's not that useful. If it was used on me, it would have had to be purely by chance and/or set up a long time ago.

To be honest, if I didn't speak with Derrick about it, I would have sooner thought someone assumed unattended resource gathering (which I don't do... anymore lol, and I only got busted once).

fatmagic

Post by fatmagic »

Ok fair enough! As long as it's not a "common" thing. I would hate to buy a boat for mining, and find out my ore will get stolen all the time! And hopefully it will be fixed it's truly a bug / exploit / non-era accurate.

Zane

Post by Zane »

fatmagic wrote:Ok fair enough! As long as it's not a "common" thing. I would hate to buy a boat for mining, and find out my ore will get stolen all the time! And hopefully it will be fixed it's truly a bug / exploit / non-era accurate.

Let me put it this way... either it would be seriously uncommon... or it's a bug/exploit that is unknown to most.

As far as your fears, it's part of the risk. As Derrick said to me, boats aren't considered "secure".

I understand that, it was the not knowing how it happened that got to me. Having at least a possible answer (along with knowing there's nothing I can do to change things) made it reasonable to just move on and keep mining.

And for the record, to be safe (even though I knew keys were secure) I dry docked my boat and relaunched. Along those lines... it does say that all keys for the boat are removed when you do that... and I've moved my boat... so if it happens again, we'll know there's a bug/exploit and I'll do whatever I can to find it.

Return to “New Player Help”