Snooping while Stealthed should reveal

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Snooping while Stealthed should reveal

Post by Kaivan »

The 3/8/2000 archive of the hiding page reflects that snooping is not under the list of skills that do not unhide you when used. Since their information is based off of the patch notes we can only conclude that their update to the hiding page was made off of one of two things:
  • The patch note before it was added as a latest update, when snooping was still on the tentative list of skills that would not unhide you.
  • The latest update patch note which originally included snooping, but was subsequently updated to reflect the fact that snooping continued to reveal you.
In either circumstance, it is clear that snooping revealed you while stealthing.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:The 3/8/2000 archive of the hiding page reflects that snooping is not under the list of skills that do not unhide you when used. Since their information is based off of the patch notes we can only conclude that their update to the hiding page was made off of one of two things:
  • The patch note before it was added as a latest update, when snooping was still on the tentative list of skills that would not unhide you.
  • The latest update patch note which originally included snooping, but was subsequently updated to reflect the fact that snooping continued to reveal you.
In either circumstance, it is clear that snooping revealed you while stealthing.
If snooping was on a 'tentative' list of things to change at the time that last patch was posted, then technically it hasn't been patched in yet, especially since both pages weren't updated again until a few months past the November cutoff.

If Ethereal mounts were on a tentative patch in 1999, but not implemented until 2002, would you expect to see them here? Nope.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying that the physical patch note itself was tentative. What I am saying is that stratics pulled their information regarding hiding from one of 2 places: the "Testing for next Update" section that included tentative changes (including snooping), or they pulled it from the "Latest Update" section when the patch notes were first released. In either circumstance, both the patch note itself (even in the earliest available archive), and the stratics page as of March 2000, both reflect the fact that snooping would reveal you, and we have information between that time which states that it works that way after the patch note.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

2. Snooping is nerfed. It is totally worthless to the Rogue. I can hide
and I can walk 16 spaces in stealth walking. But when I snoop a pack,
I'm revealed. It does me no good then to even stealth up to you.
The
only way to counteract this is by waiting next to the person you want to
snoop, snooping, waiting for his pack to open and then hiding again.
Hopefully you hide successful and the player does not notice.
If you're going to take this word for word then you should probably be considering the prospect of allowing stealthers to go further than 10 steps as well.

You have to take with one hand and give with the other here...

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It was never specified that he didn't use the skill twice. Any arbitrary number served to put his point of view across; that being: he could walk while invisible but a simple action like snooping revealed him.

Dude

Post by Dude »

Whats the point of stealthing & hidding, if being a thief and stealthing and hidding from people besides to run and get away from a monster or player? I think its dumb. You shouldn't be revealed at all. You might as well just walk up to ANYONE without hidding or stealthing. coz of this "Thieves guild members will show their Karma/Fame title" people already know and just makes it harder from players to become and RP as this char. If you want to snoop from someone without being revealed you have to run up next to the person then hide?!?! but they will just see you on the screen when you hide next to them so whats the point? Also using the Reveal spell when having 100% Hide + 100 Stealth + 100 Dex with un-hide you. which is also dumb coz whats the point of having detect hidden? Whne you can use a spell? The people RP and playing as a thief is ruined =\ I guess we just gotta do a drive by stealing or make new chars of something else :( I believe this is not "the way it was"

If you dont agree then fine....if you do write back. ty

by the Dude

Kai

Post by Kai »

I have played a thief since Beta and can guarantee snooping while stealth did not reveal you unless you FAILED the snoop. The message in the notes is referring to the possibility that snooping can in fact reveal you...not that it does every time but it is possible from being hidden (or stealthed) to get revealed if you FAILED and failed only.

When I popped out today while snooping someone I thought I had not counted my steps or something as in 13 years of playing this game this NEVER happened once.

QniDopi

Post by QniDopi »

yay we got stealthing fairly useless, since being on foot was making it usefull only for thieves and house griefers, now it's only good for the griefers.. Forcing people to use hiding before snooping backpack restricts thieves to stealing from bank macroers only.. Now all we have to choose, in the game known for it's freedom, is what do we want to be, gold grinder (tamer/bard) or are leet pvper (hally mage/dexer).. thieves getting suckier, archery sucks.. nice..

it'll be very nice if you nerf tamers, so the choise be much easier..
Last edited by QniDopi on Sat May 22, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Walking around completely invisible stealing whatever you please seemed balanced to you?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

QniDopi

Post by QniDopi »

this statement is obviously not true.. since there are a lot of restrictions in walking around and stealing whatever you want.. you walk - so you are slow, heavy stuff makes you get spotted and so attacked/gwacked.. being revealed when pressing the "steal" button.. what else do you want.. a thief spends 400 skill points for that (hiding, stealth, snooping, stealing), becomes freely murderable when become well known, ain't that a bit sad for one whole class.

Notice that, you seem much more frustrated from dexer thieves and probably house griefers.. This change will only result in mass preorientation of stealth thieves into dexer ones.. since being stealth one pays back no more.

So your statement seems so absurd.. what you say never happens because of stealth thieves.. it's impossible..

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

QniDopi wrote:this statement is obviously not true.. since there are a lot of restrictions in walking around and stealing whatever you want.. you walk - so you are slow, heavy stuff makes you get spotted and so attacked/gwacked.. being revealed when pressing the "steal" button.. what else do you want.. a thief spends 400 skill points for that (hiding, stealth, snooping, stealing), becomes freely murderable when become well known, ain't that a bit sad for one whole class.

Notice that, you seem much more frustrated from dexer thieves and probably house griefers.. This change will only result in mass preorientation of stealth thieves into dexer ones.. since being stealth one pays back no more.

So your statement seems so absurd.. what you say never happens because of stealth thieves.. it's impossible..
How do I seem much more frustrated from them? I never mentioned them. Thieves take zero skill or effort to build, cost nothing to maintain (or build) and have been stealing insanely large things for far too long on this shard through many inaccurate means. It really was the most inaccurate template up until this point, all other templates have seen a lot more focus (taming, pvp) so I really do not think the complaint is warranted whatsoever.

QniDopi

Post by QniDopi »

Why do you seem frustrated from other thives?

Answer: what you mentioned can't be true about stealth thief since once he steals he becomes visible and stealing 2nd time from the same target is quite impossible (if the target is aware of what it should do). So if someone wants to do what you said, about running and stealing around more looks like a dexer thief..

They take no effort to be built..
Answer: So? That's why you get one action for 400 skill points, ain't that enough? If the hardiness for gain is an spect of how usefull one skill should be why don't we make magic resistance make the player invulnarable for 10 sec or whatever imba stuff like that.. after all it is hard to gain, let's overpower it.. these 4 skills are free, let's nerf them..
A stealh thief loses enough on the battlefield because of the 2 more skill required (at 100). This change just makes it absolutly inplayable outside cities, and makes all stlth thieves bank bonded - only there people stand still long enough so you could use hiding before snooping..

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

QniDopi wrote:Why do you seem frustrated from other thives?

Answer: what you mentioned can't be true about stealth thief since once he steals he becomes visible and stealing 2nd time from the same target is quite impossible (if the target is aware of what it should do). So if someone wants to do what you said, about running and stealing around more looks like a dexer thief..

They take no effort to be built..
Answer: So? That's why you get one action for 400 skill points, ain't that enough? If the hardiness for gain is an spect of how usefull one skill should be why don't we make magic resistance make the player invulnarable for 10 sec or whatever imba stuff like that.. after all it is hard to gain, let's overpower it.. these 4 skills are free, let's nerf them..
A stealh thief loses enough on the battlefield because of the 2 more skill required (at 100). This change just makes it absolutly inplayable outside cities, and makes all stlth thieves bank bonded - only there people stand still long enough so you could use hiding before snooping..
Accuracy. You need to adapt from your cookie cutter "hit steal macro key and run" gameplay.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Hemperor wrote:Thieves take zero skill or effort to build, cost nothing to maintain (or build) and have been stealing insanely large things for far too long on this shard through many inaccurate means. It really was the most inaccurate template up until this point, all other templates have seen a lot more focus (taming, pvp) so I really do not think the complaint is warranted whatsoever.
Are you stupid?

I gained magery and meditation just like anyone else. It took me longer to GM Hiding and Stealth than it took you to GM resist. Stealing is a 10-second delayed use-based skill much like eval, only with harder restrictions because it is difficulty based and not used based. Tracking takes forever, and on top of that, I still had to macro a melee skill (wrestle) to be able to defend myself. I am killed on sight by virtually everybody (Well they try at least), and if I try to change my name using the disguise kit that is a "perk" of the skill, all of my macros reset. I play on foot, I dont off-screen or use any stupid macros (not even by-type), magic weapons, or sync dumps via vent, and you tank-mage types still complain. It's almost hilarious at this point.

I can promise you it takes much longer to make a thief, and arguably just as much, if not more "skill" to play, than it does to make a leet-pvp-tank-mage. Your ignorance is astounding. You are sitting here telling me that the thief-class is the most inaccurate, as you log on occasionally (for events) and play your OMG leet 3-second hally-exploit-refreshing tank mage. LOL

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

QniDopi wrote:yay we got stealthing fairly useless, since being on foot was making it usefull only for thieves and house griefers, now it's only good for the griefers.. Forcing people to use hiding before snooping backpack restricts thieves to stealing from bank macroers only.. Now all we have to choose, in the game known for it's freedom, is what do we want to be, gold grinder (tamer/bard) or are leet pvper (hally mage/dexer).. thieves getting suckier, archery sucks.. nice..

it'll be very nice if you nerf tamers, so the choise be much easier..

There's no nerfs. There's only "what it was". I honestly never played a thief so I couldn't tell you if that's how it was. Those making the changes seem pretty confident that's how it was. So if that's how it was, then that's how it was. Quit crying like an 8yr old with a skinned knee.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!