Suggestion - Make AFK Macroing inside town illegal

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
sirrayiv

Suggestion - Make AFK Macroing inside town illegal

Post by sirrayiv »

Macroing has always been illegal in UO...

That said, It should be illegal here too!!!

I propose that macroing anywhere AFK in a town or guard safe zone become illegal ASAP. Players will still be able to safely macro inside their homes. or take the chance and macro outside of towns.

This IS the way it was back in the day on OSI servers....and even then sometimes, players would get reported.

I also propose that any player who is murdered has 10 minutes to report it, before the murder gump disappears from his screen. This will simply allow player justice to occur without people taking murder counts for killing afk'rs.

Macroing has always been looked at as cheating in the eyes of OSI, and since it was widespread and EA/OSI was more concerned about making a profit then banning macroing, they never enforced it. However by making these simple changes, it would allow Players to police themselves....which is the way things ought to be.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Suggestion - Make AFK Macroing inside town illegal

Post by Kaivan »

I'll go ahead and quote what was said in the taming thread here:
Kaivan wrote:I see no reason to change our entire policy on macroing in town due to a few people who spam guards too frequently in their macros in high profile areas. The reality is that players can still be killed in areas that are not next to the bank, where they are allowed to have guards more frequently in their macros, and players who are at the bank are required to keep their guards macros within reason. Beyond that, changing the murder gump to only appear for a short period of time is not accurate and gives unprecedented power to players who choose to attempt to kill afk macroers.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

LOL!

In one post:

(1) Wants "Era accuracy" by making AFK macroing illegal.
(2) Wants "Era inaccuracy" by putting a timer on the murder gump.

Way to go.

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

Putting a timer on the murder gump should be implemented so that players can Police themselves without getting the GM's involved.

Making AFK macroing illegal in towns or guarded zones should be implemented for more reasons than I care to explain.

If the majority of players disagree with this, than its only because they are part of the problem. I am convinced that if this were implemented, it would make this Shard a far more interesting and fun environment for everyone.

r0b
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by r0b »

I'm fine with the way it is now. If someone kills me while i am AFK macro'ing overnight, I'll need to give them the count.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Players can police themselves whether there is a time out on the murder gump or not. A timeout on the gump simply allows you to avoid the consequences for your actions.

If you cannot provide any reasons for why AFK macroing, specifically in a town, is an issue, there can't be any legitimate argument made against it.

Finally, this is partly a policy decision, and partly a mechanics decision. The mechanics themselves are not open to debate unless it is an issue of accuracy, and policies are not open to debate unless a credible reason for why the change needs to be made becomes clear.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Kaivan wrote:Players can police themselves whether there is a time out on the murder gump or not. A timeout on the gump simply allows you to avoid the consequences for your actions.

If you cannot provide any reasons for why AFK macroing, specifically in a town, is an issue, there can't be any legitimate argument made against it.

Finally, this is partly a policy decision, and partly a mechanics decision. The mechanics themselves are not open to debate unless it is an issue of accuracy, and policies are not open to debate unless a credible reason for why the change needs to be made becomes clear.
They are just validating their reasons for townkilling and looting...that is all.Ghosts can call guards...follow them around and get them whacked.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

sirrayiv wrote:Players will still be able to safely macro inside their homes. or take the chance and macro outside of towns.
So new players that do not have homes are forced to macro in a less safe manner?

I guarantee you that you have macroed in town, so stfu just because you want to grief players without taking counts.
This will simply allow player justice to occur without people taking murder counts for killing afk'rs.
What is this justice you are speaking of? Since macroing is LEGAL then there is no justice to be served.

Admit it, your only interest in this is to pk afk people. You said as much with "I am convinced that if this were implemented, it would make this Shard a far more interesting and fun environment for everyone." since the only ones that would be having more fun are the ones that are killing for no reason.

Grow up, get a life.

Just like the guy that wants to burn off murder counts while not logged in -- if you want to kill players you need to deal with the consequence of that.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

See thats it right there...they don't want L33T pvp they want to PK newbs and rezz in statloss without much worry. They are in fear of getting PKed in their homes macroing and want you to feel that fear.

They make no mention of afk macroing at all being made illegal.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

sirrayiv wrote: If the majority of players disagree with this, than its only because they are part of the problem. I am convinced that if this were implemented, it would make this Shard a far more interesting and fun environment for everyone.
I will likely never have to macro on this shard again (except for perhaps carto and murder counts...)

That being said... new players should be able to receive all the same advantages town macroing has given everyone else here.

Should it be enouraged? no. Should AFK guard spamming be acceptable? no. But banning town macroing would really not be fair to any new player.

It would be great if there was some way to encourage non-town macroing. Almost every skill can be macroed in the safety of your 8x8 with restocks. (Magery casting on trash barrel, provo, ei/ anat on alts or your horse, etc, etc.) But players with houses still town macro that stuff. Even my hiding and stealth macros were out in the wild or in very remote town locals.

Seeing 95% of people at banks being afk does suck... My guess is most of them have smalls but just town macro bc that is what they are used to.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:See thats it right there...they don't want L33T pvp they want to PK newbs and rezz in statloss without much worry. They are in fear of getting PKed in their homes macroing and want you to feel that fear.

They make no mention of afk macroing at all being made illegal.
huh?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

He didnt say macroing anywhere afk should be illegal sticking to his alledgement that it was that way on OSI so should be here but proposed only in town. He must have a house and a couple blue characters he wants to macro.

Alot of newer players macro afk in town because they have no home, thereby making a plenty of easy easy to kill new characters being they havent ascertained the skill level of players now when they venture out.

Reds macroing afk in their homes are in plenty of danger from everyone not just other reds, so most avoid statloss. But with a horde of gimped newbies to kill they can over look that.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote: They are just validating their reasons for townkilling and looting...that is all.Ghosts can call guards...follow them around and get them whacked.
You know archaics... Most people (like me) find no enjoyment in townkilling afk people. If i townkill an afk'er it is bc 1 of 2 reasons.

Afking something in a stupid place.. like on a bank ruin or glow reag shop... If macroers had any regard for the people around them and that they arnt entiltled to any spot they like id have zero problems

or

AFKing something like rare spawns. Having scavenger set up for something and leaving it logged in at a rare spawn.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Macroing may have been illegal on OSI servers, but since the beginning we've had no issue with it aside from AFK resource gathering. This stance on macroing is not something that's likely to change.
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

People get townkilled anywhere, no matter where they are.

I have let myself get attacked acting afk to guardwhack, I have let myself been killed to call Guards as a ghost as I followed townkillers around. They didnt even know what I was doing.

I think a more proper thing to request is to stop cluttering up Brit Bank macroing. But that happens to be the most guarded area in any city available to newbie characters...and even then they are not safe.

Unlike you though Hoots, alot of people enjoy killing people just starting off on this shard Who would otherwise be defenseless against people who can make a horde of killer/griefers in the safety of their homes.

I tried to do it the other way, and its hard. If you think going into a PK central dungeon is difficult, I was Pked 12 times in Vesper Graveyard trying to get money my first day on my own, I was thinking maybe a little stronger NPC armor could help me. I never played UO before. I just needed to survive the intial attack so I could run. It was an endless quest as I was ganked over and over. Then when I came back in nothing but my death robe and my practice sword having nothing else...the red said "sup"

He told me to mine for strength and play music for dex...and laughed at how low my stats were.

I wanted to be a warrior not a craftsmen. But I went up to Minoc anyway following the sign I just first came across.

The next day I was taken into covetous to kill some harpies with my friends who introduced me to UO who I finally got to play with for the first time.

They were teaching me, I kept dismounting in war mode, but I tried. I was overjoyed at how much gold I was making after so much trouble before. Then the PK came and targeted me first with a flamestrike. I died instantly.

I ran out as a ghost to find there were 5 to 7 more reds outside waiting for us to run out, though my friends had gated out. It was ACE.

I feared the dungeons I feared the graveyards, I roamed the countryside and even there they found me.

I continued on. I didnt know anything about macros. I was running around brit casting any old beneficial spell trying to get my magery higher.

I didn't know what was going on, no one was there to help me.

That said down the road I learned a bit, some things I still need to...but what I know is these new players need all the help they can get. And its okay if you want to haze them in, but give them a chance to explore this world too and let them train the skills they need to.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.