Does anyone actually hunt in dungons?

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Papa

Does anyone actually hunt in dungons?

Post by Papa »

Does anyone actually hunt? I mean not PK's! I have been training up by char, finally got strong enough to do some dungon hunting and every time I recall into a dungon I am there less than 5 minutes when a PK shows up. I loose more in restocking than I ever do hunting and what is the point of this shard if the only thing people do is PvP?
Dont call me a Trammy, I was around way before that and what I remember is enough people hunting Reds that you could actually hunt. Now NO ONE is down there, I know because I have run out of enough dungons as a ghost to know no one is down there.
So where is the fun in that? Everyone just AFK resource hunting and scripting up their skills? I love the idea of this shard and I really miss T2A but this just doesnt work.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Does anyone actually hunt in dungons?

Post by Chaos »

hiding between kills will save you alot .. pk will run in look around .. even if they see activity .. they rarely try and reveal ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

It's very unfortunate, but it's due to the fact that the penalty system for reds here is neutered, at best. As it stands there's very little, if anything that keeps the red/blue ratio in check.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Lor

Post by Lor »

I find that actually forming a group and fighting the reds works pretty well.

Werthers Chewbackas

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

If you're strong enough to get into a dungeon then try not being a pansy and attempt to kill the red.

If you're on a candid camera reality show, Hiding won't help because the PvPer can just check this TV to see where I am.
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Papa

Post by Papa »

Werthers Chewbackas wrote:If you're strong enough to get into a dungeon then try not being a pansy and attempt to kill the red.
Unfortunately the red does not wait until you are back at full health / mana to ask you if you want to fight. Nor does he usually come alone. Oh no sir, wait until your all ass and elbows in a lich mob or knocking down a blood and the run up behind you, explosion, para, ebolt, run run run... mind you your original target does not care your being attacked by a red. The dragon does not auto target the dirty red, oh no, now you got a red or two and the mob you were originally fighting all trying to kill you.

Keep in mind you no longer have your best armor on either because 5 minutes ago this same story played out and you lost everything.

Pansy, no I think not. I would call the pansy the one who does not come alone. I would call the pansy the red who can only pick on someone at half health.

Lor

Post by Lor »

It sucks when that kind of thing happens, but it's always going to happen, because that's the way T2A was. People complained a lot and they made newer versions of UO, and it made it more lame.

I say you get used to it and make a good recall macro or join a guild that is anti-pk so you can get back at them. Complaining about it doesn't help anything.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

There are many places to hunt in dungeons (and many places to hunt above-ground). Most of the big-money-making spawns have PKs patrolling them frequently. Don't go to those, or make precautions.

It's tough to survive a PK coming when you're at half health from a lich and your Magic Reflect is down from a lich spell. But you also can't expect to hunt liches in the Lich Lord room or in the Britain Graveyard without constantly being harassed.

Try the graveyard near Yew that spawns a lich or two. I used to hunt there and never saw a PK even once.

Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

Mikel123 wrote:There are many places to hunt in dungeons (and many places to hunt above-ground). Most of the big-money-making spawns have PKs patrolling them frequently. Don't go to those, or make precautions.

It's tough to survive a PK coming when you're at half health from a lich and your Magic Reflect is down from a lich spell. But you also can't expect to hunt liches in the Lich Lord room or in the Britain Graveyard without constantly being harassed.

Try the graveyard near Yew that spawns a lich or two. I used to hunt there and never saw a PK even once.
It takes YEARS to get loot this way.

I have also recently been trying to hunt in dungeons and had the same experience. I was even using hide, but 3 times out of 5 dungeons I attempted using this method, the PK that ran in was either using tracking, ghosting or detect hidden. 3 Differen't PK's were all able to reveal and nail me even before I could get my emergency recall macro off. Never once did I come upon a single PK either. The first time it was two from the guild RIP and the second two times it was from PEE members. All while I was on my cart/bard.

The main reason in my, very newbie to this shard, opinion is because no one that is any good wants to anti-pk because all of there good characters are either already red or they don't have the balls. The only way to hunt effectivley here is going to be in large groups if your going to the main hot spots where you can actually effectivley make money.

Unless someone starts a successful anit-pk guild this will not change in the near future and there is no one with the balls to join this anti-pk guild, if it were to be created, because they would be afraid of being griefed by the 10 million pk guilds that already exist. Talking about your proverbial double edge sword.

In the meantime, I will be working my crafters and my cartography! :P

There is only one place so far that I have had any success hunting and it isn't nearly ideal enough for me. The only thing I haven't tried so far is some of the places in T2A.
ICQ = 16868447
Newbie Smith at your Service! Comming soon: GM Smithy goods at decent prices! Vendor's Restocked daily!

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

A big difference from era and here also has to do with the time it takes to build characters. When you can build a full fleeting army of 7x hally mages in the same time it used to take to make a single 3x mage, nobody cares if one of their main 5 characters has to sit afk ghosting due to stat loss, they have 4 more.
Now when they died in stat on their single main and had to go play a mule for 7 days while the counts ticked off; this turned many people away from being true murders and would more or less play with a 4 count limit to remain blue, making the rampant pking more of a free shard thing.

fugleebeast

Post by fugleebeast »

I played for a couples years back when T2A first came out. I remember when you didn't have the up/down arrows next to your skills, maxing stats took longer than 2 hours, and you never saw someone parading 5 Nightmares through town.

I've been playing on this shard for a couple of months now and have been having a pretty good time. It's fun having a house again, experiencing the PvE, and dabbling in a bit of PVP. That being said, the PK/Murderer situation on this shard is crazy.

Back in '98, I'd see a Red once every other day or so. I'd occasionally get PK'd, would run away sometimes, and would be able to fight off my fair share of them. On this shard, I have to use my escape macro about every 15 minutes; it doesn't seem to matter where I'm fighting. Anytime that I leave town my fingers hover over my escape macro; Liches, Ice Fiends, 2 screens away from Delucia trying to get some damn leather, they're everywhere. If there was a Red outside of town back in T2A, you'd get 4 or 5 people rushing out there trying to kill him.

It's frustrating not being able to really experience the PvE portion of the game because of the Murderers. I got jumped by 4 reds the other day...4! Wtf is with that? You can bet that they were all either 7X GM or close too. Four reds against a half-health Bard? That's sporting.

I have no problem getting killed in the game. I got used to that 10 years ago and plan accordingly; backup armor in the bank, extra runes and regs, it's no big deal. In fact, I successfully escape from Reds probably 90% of the time. It's frustrating as hell though and is not Era accurate at all.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Duke Jones wrote:It's very unfortunate, but it's due to the fact that the penalty system for reds here is neutered, at best. As it stands there's very little, if anything that keeps the red/blue ratio in check.
Explain.

I think its too harsh, and not acurate. Its always 20% unless you are like under 10 shorts. At OSI it was not exactly 20% (it varied quite a bit, sometimes youd drop to 86 or someshit) however I am not sure how that was calculated.

Also Derrick does not believe me, but I am POSITIVE you could use the auto res option in t2a and receive *ONLY* 10% loss. This is why I had this option enabled, where other people would disable.

If anything this shit is extremely favoring the non murderers.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

fugleebeast wrote: It's frustrating not being able to really experience the PvE portion of the game because of the Murderers. I got jumped by 4 reds the other day...4! Wtf is with that? You can bet that they were all either 7X GM or close too. Four reds against a half-health Bard? That's sporting.
Theres a reason why there are limited repeat pkers. Even here. Think about it, how many people actually res and come back for more (taking stat)? There is only a handful of people who are career pkers on this shard.

Even as you say, with 3 accounts, if a 7x tank picks up 25 quick counts on one day, and dies. 25*8=200h which is a straight week+. Do this on all 3 accounts and you are macroing time constantly. It does not add up.

You always see a cocky mage go on a rampage, but they *will* die, and macroing off the time will make them stop. The best pvper on the shard died at 80 kills, and I sold him the mare before he went on a rampage. He said to me: "I will not die".

Macroing off those 80 kills or ressing sure made him stop from doing it again.

The penalty of pking is extremely harsh. Playing the victim only makes you look like a tool because the loot that you lose due to a pk does not compare to the inevitable death that will come to the pk due to client crash, client error, con loss, gankage or ownage.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Werthers Chewbackas

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

The only thing favored IS the murderer. If you're never red you can murder innocents your entire character's life and still be a townie.
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Werthers Chewbackas wrote:The only thing favored IS the murderer. If you're never red you can murder innocents your entire character's life and still be a townie.
no idea