Cartography Inaccuracy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Cartography Inaccuracy

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Chests are only to be dug up by the cartographer who decoded the map
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 01/19/1999
hiicha wrote:I've purchased several tmaps that didn't say tattered and was still able to dig them up, even though I knew they were previously decoded.

The maps only become useless when someone digs up the chest, which is a *duh*.
"When you find the location of the treasure, you can use any mining tool to dig for it. How wide an area you search with a given attempt will depend on your Mining skill, but your skill will not advance from digging. IMPORTANT: The person who used the cartography skill on the map must also be the miner. "-patch quote
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Cartography Inaccuracy

Post by Hicha »

What that means is that Player A cannot decode a treasure map then hand it over to Player B so they can go dig it up. Only the player with the appropriate cartography skill can dig up the treasure map.

It does not imply that once decoded, only the person who decoded it first can dig it up.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

How do you get that from that? Doesn't it say in Large text....Important the person who decoded the map must also be the miner, or to say the one who dug it up?

This places an important emphasis on cartographers, having their services...not their wares being more in demand and having them play more an active role in the scheme of things.

I don't think treasure hunters should be put on the backshelf as your stay at home type alongside your crafters and merchants.

This is verified again in the T2A wikki on cartography.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?title=Cartography

Under the "Where Can I Find Treasure Maps?" section the last parargraph states...
Be very wary when purchasing these maps -- maps that have been decoded or dug up already are labeled differently than virgin maps. If you are thinking of purchasing one, the map must read "a tattered treasure map" when you single-click on it. If it does not, then do not attempt to purchase it. It will be useless to you.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:How do you get that from that? Doesn't it say in Large text....Important the person who decoded the map must also be the miner, or to say the one who dug it up?
I think the implication that's being made, and this matches the current implementation, is that the map can be re-decoded, by another treasure hunter of sufficient skill.

A character without sufficient cartography skill cannot dig the map.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

check the edit with link in the prior post...it says if a map has been decoded or dug up it will say something rather then decoded. Then it warns if the map does not say "tattered" it is of no use to you. It doesnt say if this map says "completed by"don't buy it because that's obvious.

This is speaking directly to people with the cartography skill. So even to them it says, the map is useless.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:check the edit with link in the prior post...it warns if the map does not say "tattered" it is of no use to you.
Point well made. Thanks.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

I always remember that if a map was decoded it was useless to anyone besides the persont hat decoded it... I don't ever recall being able to re-decode a map like hiicha described above in his post.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Faust wrote:I always remember that if a map was decoded it was useless to anyone besides the persont hat decoded it... I don't ever recall being able to re-decode a map like hiicha described above in his post.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?title=Cartography

In decoding a treasure map section in the last paragraph it says the first person to decode the map must be the one to dig up the treasure...meaning it couldnt be passed over to any other player even if that character had cartography.

If you had a map and decoded it just for gain but were too lazy to dig it up it was useless to anyone else.

Faust

Post by Faust »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote: If you had a map and decoded it just for gain but were too lazy to dig it up it was useless to anyone else.
Yes, that is the way that I remember it working...

If the map was decoded only the person that decoded it can use it making it useless for anyone else besides the original decoder from that point on.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The same patch that introduced named treasure maps by level also introduced the changes to who could decode a map. Here is the particular line item noting the change:

Treasure Map Changes Aug 20 2001 2:32PM CST
  • A treasure map will be able to be used by those who do not own it, providing that they have enough cartography to decode it.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

These changes, removing level information from maps, and allowing only the decoder to dig up the chest will be in the next publish. The publish is on hold to give an opportunity for people to know what's coming, as the existing maps will not be grandfathered.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

eek... so there is literally no way to know what level a map is until you dig up the chest itself and see what spawns?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

You wold be able to tell if you had a lower level cartographer that couldn't decode it.
I do remember guessing what level map it was by how many times i had to attempt on my GM. 5's were usually pretty obvious. I also recall getting a group of guys together to do a 5, and having it turning out to be well less than that.

It's my personal recollection as well that creatures did not also drop the same level map, and that it was possible to get a level 4 or 3 from a Titan; but this is a personal recollection and could easily be incorrect. I've seen nothing to verify this.

Werthers Chewbackas

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

Treasure maps were ruined by a player who didn't have enough skill to decode it if it was double clicked on. This should be added.
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Werthers Chewbackas wrote:Treasure maps were ruined by a player who didn't have enough skill to decode it if it was double clicked on. This should be added.
I have never heard of anything like this. Please elaborate.