What happened to the events? Derrick can we get them back?

Topics related to Second Age
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: What happened to the events? Derrick can we get them bac

Post by Kaivan »

HardCore wrote:You make it sound like there is a big list of ingame mechanical issues that need worked on. The only one I know of is the LoS issue.
LoS is not an issue, it's arguably the most accurate mechanic on UOSA.
HardCore wrote:Out of curiosity, can you guys share what is on your plate? I know all the patches put in are great, and some of the things you couldn't share because we could take advantage of the issue before the changes, but just some general ideas on what the big mechanical problems are would be cool to know. As far as I can tell as a player for years here, I don't know of any real pressing issues. Everything seems to be working great.
There's a long laundry list that Derrick has kept for quite some time, but some of the issues that I know of just from looking at the first page of the Accuracy forum are mind blast, gate travel, begging, creature spawns, magical charges, reactive armor, and housing to name just a few.
HardCore wrote:And yes, I would like to see events get moved to the top of the list. I have an idea, maybe we should change the events schedule part of the website to say suspended or something instead of having the schedule still up since that is actually the part of the site I have saved in my website favorites so everytime I visit the forums I have to see the list of events first and cry.
An update to indicate that events are not available is probably a good idea, however moving fixes for events to the top of the list is not. Our energy is better spent on issues pertaining to the major goal of UOSA.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

HardCore

Post by HardCore »

Thank you for the responses on my questions, as well as all the other threads you've been diving into.

My LoS mechanical issue comment was more of an inside joke, that only I know.

But yes, updating the event schedule page would be a good idea. Wouldn't want to mislead any newcomers. :)
The Core [PEE]: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/236
<Vega-> I'm about to go to the gym but that is worth missing a couple reps for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw

CmaN

Post by CmaN »

Kaivan wrote:
HardCore wrote:You make it sound like there is a big list of ingame mechanical issues that need worked on. The only one I know of is the LoS issue.
LoS is not an issue, it's arguably the most accurate mechanic on UOSA.
HardCore wrote:Out of curiosity, can you guys share what is on your plate? I know all the patches put in are great, and some of the things you couldn't share because we could take advantage of the issue before the changes, but just some general ideas on what the big mechanical problems are would be cool to know. As far as I can tell as a player for years here, I don't know of any real pressing issues. Everything seems to be working great.
There's a long laundry list that Derrick has kept for quite some time, but some of the issues that I know of just from looking at the first page of the Accuracy forum are mind blast, gate travel, begging, creature spawns, magical charges, reactive armor, and housing to name just a few.
HardCore wrote:And yes, I would like to see events get moved to the top of the list. I have an idea, maybe we should change the events schedule part of the website to say suspended or something instead of having the schedule still up since that is actually the part of the site I have saved in my website favorites so everytime I visit the forums I have to see the list of events first and cry.
An update to indicate that events are not available is probably a good idea, however moving fixes for events to the top of the list is not. Our energy is better spent on issues pertaining to the major goal of UOSA.
Not to sound like a dick, or by any means ungrateful for the work that goes on here (both seen, and unseen), but what form of energy expenditure are you talking about?

This is clearly something that has almost complete support, with little to no opposition. There is a laundry list of positive reasons to get this system back in place (no tangible rewards required).

If the server needs developer support, it simply needs to ask. Your response, while 'official', and appreciated, just implies this secret heavy hand that really isn't doing anything.

Again, you have my apologies, but you also my honesty and support both now and in the future.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

CmaN wrote:Not to sound like a dick, or by any means ungrateful for the work that goes on here (both seen, and unseen), but what form of energy expenditure are you talking about?
In many of the instances that I listed, the information on exactly what is or isn't accurate is not known yet, and it requires time to determine these things, especially given the fact that some of them need to be pulled from the demo core. Beyond simply discovering exactly what is or isn't accurate, we also need to consider coding and testing many of the changes that just need to be delivered. For that we rely exclusively on Derrick (by his own choice) to work on that, which limits the speed at which any of these changes can be done. Finally, some of these changes (e.g. housing changes) require some sort of design in terms of how it's delivered. This requires additional coding and testing time.
CmaN wrote:This is clearly something that has almost complete support, with little to no opposition. There is a laundry list of positive reasons to get this system back in place (no tangible rewards required).
While there may be a large number of perceived bonuses reaped from operating the event system again, the issue is with time management. When time presents itself to work on something for UOSA, that time should be spent on furthering the overall goal of UOSA, not on something that arguably detracts from it (some design changes can help alleviate this problem, but this requires extra work).
CmaN wrote:If the server needs developer support, it simply needs to ask. Your response, while 'official', and appreciated, just implies this secret heavy hand that really isn't doing anything.
I'd hardly consider it a "secret heavy hand" when we don't drop everything else and simply start working on an event system that only some people want (there is not a consensus on the desire to have events back). In fact, evidence suggests that Derrick simply doesn't have the time to deal with many changes at all, a position backed up by the frequency of patches over the last two years.

Beyond that, Derrick does not reach out for developer's assistance for a number of reasons, but you will have to ask him for the specifics as to why. It's not my place to speak for him, although he has kept the code very close to himself (I've only seen small parts of it myself).
CmaN wrote:Again, you have my apologies, but you also my honesty and support both now and in the future.
I don't think an apology is necessary, but I do think that some perspective on the issue is important.

Elph

Post by Elph »

Having coded for a server I ran back in 2006, I can say I understand why he wouldn't look for help. People tend to code differently, and it can be difficult for someone to work on code after someone else has done so. Not to mention the element of trust that comes with allowing someone to code, if a mistake is made, and the person can't fix it, and the code is done in an odd way, it can turn out to be a total waste of time.

Brules

Post by Brules »

So if the issue is valuable resources (yours, Derricks and the few staff we have's time - valuable resource) are being reserved for the items that pertain to UOSA's main goal - era accuracy - would you all not be open to asking for some volunteers to assist with reworking the event system? I know there are many a tallented coder out there who have worked with/on/around Run UO that might volunteer for it.....since events are a non critical, almost seperate thing from the core of UOSA - would this not be a solution to provide what everyone wants?

All of the framework is there - I have to think the fixes required to turn the system back on are minimal compared to the overall code of the event system......

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Brules wrote:So if the issue is valuable resources (yours, Derricks and the few staff we have's time - valuable resource) are being reserved for the items that pertain to UOSA's main goal - era accuracy - would you all not be open to asking for some volunteers to assist with reworking the event system? I know there are many a tallented coder out there who have worked with/on/around Run UO that might volunteer for it.....since events are a non critical, almost seperate thing from the core of UOSA - would this not be a solution to provide what everyone wants?

All of the framework is there - I have to think the fixes required to turn the system back on are minimal compared to the overall code of the event system......
Not really, because there is more to consider than fixing the bugs. Also, whether the code is directly related to the core functionality on UOSA or not is really irrelevant. It still exposes the code base to someone other than Derrick, which is something that he has not done before.

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

All I know is with each passing month we are losing valuable player base. aka the people who made this game diverse, and entertaining while creating sustainability. It seems everyone loved that there was something organized, competitive, and constructive to do while logged in and of coarse the reputations that came with it... Granted there are still a few old timers around that are doing all they can to help keep events alive while trying to help newbs stick around. But what about them!? I mean no disrespect and I'm all for era accuracy and the "energy" it consumes, its what makes this shard the best imho. But who is going to give a shit about it when everyone who knew the era is gone?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I'm sorry to say but events have no real effect on the population, evidenced by the fact that our average player count has had no significant change in the last year without events.

HardCore

Post by HardCore »

Let's all meet up and talk about this tomorrow morning at 5am during Double Domination! http://my.uosecondage.com/Events/Schedule

Then my favorite event CTF Warf at 2pm! See you all there! Yar.

Saturday
5:00am Double Domination
5:00am 1v1 Pure Dexer Tourney (non-free-use)
11:30am 1v1 Magic,Pots&Poisons Tourney [non-free-use]
2:00pm CTF (Wharf)
5:00pm 2v2 Non-Free Use Tournament

CmaN

Post by CmaN »

Kaivan wrote:I'm sorry to say but events have no real effect on the population, evidenced by the fact that our average player count has had no significant change in the last year without events.
I really think you're making dangerous assumptions. There are people, few, but people including myself who do work to get people here to offset losses and actively promote population. That doesn't change the fact that having this in place could only be beneficial to online player count, which is a big factor both in player retention and new player signups.

I'm concerned about such an illogical statement, coming from someone who generally has a pretty sound view on things. I think your other statements, in relation to this matter, are indicative of your negative opinion of events in general; irregardless of any reasoning.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

The events tended to be aimed at a minority of people who tended to always win. The tourneys, for instance, nearly always had the same winner. The last one that I came to watch had 5 people that even signed up.

Known responses to what I just said: The event isn't the problem...it's not the good pvper's fault that everyone else sucks.

Known reply: Lack of support backing events being reinstated. (other than the usual suspects)
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

HardCore

Post by HardCore »

Start small.....CTF's only. Those were the most fun.

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

That looks like a busy schedule - lets meet in the middle and re-instate just a few competitive events. They don't have to run all day..
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

CmaN wrote:
Kaivan wrote:I'm sorry to say but events have no real effect on the population, evidenced by the fact that our average player count has had no significant change in the last year without events.
I really think you're making dangerous assumptions. There are people, few, but people including myself who do work to get people here to offset losses and actively promote population. That doesn't change the fact that having this in place could only be beneficial to online player count, which is a big factor both in player retention and new player signups.

I'm concerned about such an illogical statement, coming from someone who generally has a pretty sound view on things. I think your other statements, in relation to this matter, are indicative of your negative opinion of events in general; irregardless of any reasoning.
nicely put. but i wouldnt be concerned. the number he is referring to probably support his claim might be real. however..... the amount of people who are afk macroing or such would be decreased, and the real number of IP's hes probably referring to might not necessarily change. but the amount of people actually playing would be higher, and seem like more. either way, events brought MUUUUCCCHHH more energy to the shard. rivals, trash talk, pvp, stealing, AND... PVM!! people who arent interested find time to get out in the dungeons during prime pk time when they otherwise would avoid certain spawns. its literally a different uosa imo when events are around. I SEENT IT

EDIT: as much as id like events to come back, im ok with whatever they have to do first. there is not, and will not ever be another shard out there as long lived and interesting as uosa. im here for the long hall, cus simply, theres nothing else worth my time. uosa, or nothing imo