Combat changes needed (Archery)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
potamus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Combat changes (Archery)

Post by potamus »

Iced Earth wrote:Archer Fencer
Archer Macer here, I've stopped people dead in their tracks forcing them to dismount 'all follow me' and then chug a fresh, when this happens they tend to die. :lol:

Faust

Post by Faust »

The other system was not even remotely close to being accurate... The swing timer didn't even use the original OSI code that is in use now. The code was based on date stamps(RunUO) default, not an actual counter like OSI used. Swings would hold in a held state, yet another mechanic that didn't exist until the UOR era. There were no such thing as swing states that represented the different combat phases with in the swing timer itself. I honestly can't imagine anyone saying the old system was more 'accurate' compared to this new system.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:can't imagine anyone saying the old system was more 'accurate' compared to this new system.
I don't think anyone has claimed that it's not more accurate. However Accurate is not synonymous with better for everyone who plays here, we are however bound to uphold the current system, unless we do find that something is wrong with it as we did yesterday.

I wouldn't take personally any statement that berates the current system compared to the last from a personal preference perspective. I am however very happy to see that people are pleased and excited with the proper era functionality.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Eaglestaff wrote:I was going to test the accuracy of this on the demo but I couldn't get it to work. Ive noticed on test center that if you fire a bow shot at someone while they are in range and then they move out of range before the damage applies the shot always misses. Is this accurate? Also, if they move out of range when the shot is fired and then they move back within range you dont do the the rapid fire phantom arrows thing, it just wastes the shot with no chance of hitting. Is this era accurate?
I spent the morning testing Archery on both the demo and Test.

To get the demo working, I followed the instructions in this post:
http://forum.joinuo.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=574

To get UODemo+ working, which I think you need to connect with a second client, I followed the Method 1 instructions in this post:
http://forum.joinuo.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=327

Then I installed UoDmClnt.exe into my UO directory, and created a UoDmClnt.cfg file with the following line:
DemoServer=[my local ip],10016

Replace [my local ip] with the local network IP of the machine that's running UODemo+, but don't use 127.0.0.1

Here's the wiki page for UoDmClnt:
http://uodemo.joinuo.com/?title=UoDmClnt

I then started UODemo+ on one machine, which starts the server and a client that loads Avatar as the character. Next, I started UoDmClnt.exe on that same machine and started a new character with higher strength and so I could make more arrows and a regular bow for testing. Finally, on a second machine, I started UoDmClnt.exe and created the archer, then snooped to get his dex to 60.

On both the demo and Test, if my target char moved out of range before the arrow got there to hit, the archer would miss. I think this is 100% accurate. I remember running right next to someone before stopping for that very reason -- they could run out of range if I tried to fire from too great a distance and they were running away. (The max. range for a regular bow was nine steps away on both the demo and Test.)

Also, the archer will always miss if they start running again before the damage is dealt, although the next shot will often fire sooner than the normal delay in such a circumstance. That second shot can hit if the archer stands still until the arrow hits.

My conclusion from this morning's testing is that archery is fine. (And Faust, I'm pretty sure I was wrong about that extra tick in the damage delay. After testing, it seemed the demo and Test had the same delay from the time the arrow got to the target until damage was dealt.)

Faust

Re: Combat changes needed (Archery)

Post by Faust »

Glad to see everything turned out to be same for your test. :D

I sure would hope the same results occurred since the same code was used by me with this project that is used in the demo itself. :wink: