Multiclienting Compromise?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

How many clients should be allowed at a time?

30%
14%
56%

Total votes: 64

Orsi

Re: Multiclienting Compromise?

Post by Orsi »

Yes, I am Canadian and I paid $15/mnth. It was a major factor in restricting clients to one per person. There is absolutely no reason why someone should have 4 clients up at once. It is exactly what which ruins the game for everyone else; having one account to macros off red, one account to play on your blue, one account to gate everywhere, and one account to ghost scout. All those things gut the community out of the game. Red stat loss becomes a joke. Your personal gate chauffeur makes you even more anti-social (get a friend to gate you) and the ghost scout is just ridiculous. These are the most important non-era accurate changes to be made, not the technical number crunching.

The whole point of the game was to make people interact, but Razor and multi-clienting is making everyone into a one-man show. It isn't entirely about sweeping the dungeons, doing hit and runs and logging off.
Last edited by Orsi on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Orscythicus wrote:Yes, I am Canadian and I paid $15/mnth. It was a major factor in restricting clients to one per person. There is absolutely no reason why someone should have 4 clients up at once. It is exactly what which ruins the game for everyone else; having one account to macros off red, one account to play on your blue, one account to gate everywhere, and one account to ghost scout. All those things gut the community out of the game. Red stat loss becomes a joke. Your personal gate chauffeur makes you even more anti-social (get a friend to gate you) and the ghost scout is just ridiculous. These are the most important non-era accurate changes to be made, not the technical number crunching.

The whole point of the game was to make people interact, but Razor is making everyone into a one-man show. It isn't entirely about sweeping the dungeons, doing hit and runs and logging off.
Agree 110%

This is an MMO; if you don't feel like interacting and depending on the community, then you might want to re-valuate why you play.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

Hey whaddya know my wife now wants to play UO so can I have three more accounts please? I'll create a new char and immediately kill it and I now have a ghost scout. I'll just leave UO open on her laptop 3 feet from my computer.

Oh, and my wife has never had any intention of playing UO. What regulations/checks are in place to prevent people from lying and using the 4th account for themselves?
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

zzyzx wrote:Hey whaddya know my wife now wants to play UO so can I have three more accounts please? I'll create a new char and immediately kill it and I now have a ghost scout. I'll just leave UO open on her laptop 3 feet from my computer.

Oh, and my wife has never had any intention of playing UO. What regulations/checks are in place to prevent people from lying and using the 4th account for themselves?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

jcalvert86

Post by jcalvert86 »

zzyzx wrote:Hey whaddya know my wife now wants to play UO so can I have three more accounts please? I'll create a new char and immediately kill it and I now have a ghost scout. I'll just leave UO open on her laptop 3 feet from my computer.

So because I share my home with a sibling who does occasionaly play, I shouldn't be allowed my 3 clients open?

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

I say one account that has to be approved unless you can prove you have another person playing in your household. This is UO not super fuzzy carealot online where dreams come true and pks are made of yummy chocolate.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Duke Jones wrote:This is an MMO; if you don't feel like interacting and depending on the community, then you might want to re-valuate why you play.
I'm 28 years old, I have a family and a job. I don't feel like depending on the community. If I had to go out and find 2 other people to macro resist or wrestling or swords with, or to go hunting with, by the time I found one of them I'd be going to bed.

Interaction is great. Dependency on others as a requirement is ridiculous. The game was designed to be able to be played and enjoyed alone, with just some aspects expected to require dependency (Order/Chaos, killing an Ancient Wyrm, Khaldun, etc.).

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Zorce wrote:The way I understood it when I joined was that you could have 4 accounts per house hold but only 3 were allowed to be connected at the same time.
Sorry for the confusion on that one. The per person account limit is three. There are four connections slots per IP available for two reasons, one being that many players play from the same location, the other is that somethimes when you disconnect the connection hangs and doesn't time out for a while, reducing the number of available slots.

Players should not be running 4 clients on their pc ever.

You should not have more than three accounts which you play as your own.

The printed shard rules are here:
Subject: Shard Rules and other information
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

Mikel123 wrote:
Duke Jones wrote:This is an MMO; if you don't feel like interacting and depending on the community, then you might want to re-valuate why you play.
I'm 28 years old, I have a family and a job. I don't feel like depending on the community. If I had to go out and find 2 other people to macro resist or wrestling or swords with, or to go hunting with, by the time I found one of them I'd be going to bed.

Interaction is great. Dependency on others as a requirement is ridiculous. The game was designed to be able to be played and enjoyed alone, with just some aspects expected to require dependency (Order/Chaos, killing an Ancient Wyrm, Khaldun, etc.).
Exactly but I do not think it was designed with multiclienting in mind. Also depending on others is not a requirement it's just easier.

sps420

Post by sps420 »

I may be all alone on this but I run 2 characters, 2 clients. I have no real desire of running multiple characters at a time but if I die, it's nice to be able to run my other character over to collect my gear or seek revenge depending on the case.

Derrick, despite all the whining from players about accuracy and exploits, this is an awesome shard with a great community! Everybody has their different intentions and different play styles and that is what makes this so diverse.

sps420

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm glad you're enjoying the shard :D

Actually despite what you'd think from reading these threads, two clients per IP is above the average on Second Age.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

Orscythicus wrote:Yes, I am Canadian and I paid $15/mnth. It was a major factor in restricting clients to one per person. There is absolutely no reason why someone should have 4 clients up at once. It is exactly what which ruins the game for everyone else; having one account to macros off red, one account to play on your blue, one account to gate everywhere, and one account to ghost scout. All those things gut the community out of the game. Red stat loss becomes a joke. Your personal gate chauffeur makes you even more anti-social (get a friend to gate you) and the ghost scout is just ridiculous. These are the most important non-era accurate changes to be made, not the technical number crunching.

The whole point of the game was to make people interact, but Razor and multi-clienting is making everyone into a one-man show. It isn't entirely about sweeping the dungeons, doing hit and runs and logging off.
I paid for 3 accounts on OSI. The only difference here is we don't "HAVE" to pay for an account.

What you call anti-social I call independence.

I admit, without the currency factor, this can get out of control, but my point is there were multiple clients on OSI too... just had to pay for it and reasons why multiple clients are attractive is not to be anti-social but not wanting to depend on someone who may or may not be online for you 24/7.

I sometimes wonder when players are going to realize it is not 1997 anymore, the game has evolved, the players have evolved, the technology has evolved.... and simply accept the fact that some compromises will need to be made.

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

jcalvert86 wrote:

So because I share my home with a sibling who does occasionaly play, I shouldn't be allowed my 3 clients open?
You shouldn't be allowed to use your siblings accounts was what I was getting at there.
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

orionsune wrote: I sometimes wonder when players are going to realize it is not 1997 anymore, the game has evolved, the players have evolved, the technology has evolved.... and simply accept the fact that some compromises will need to be made.
Isn't that what the official production servers are for?

We WANT 1997 gameplay. We want to isolate the way the game was for that time. If you want the game and technology to evolve and develop, I hear kingdom reborn is looking nice.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Zorce »

Better cancel that high speed internet service and blow the dust out of the old 56k modem :D