UOSA Tournament System

Topics related to Second Age
Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: UOSA Tournament System

Post by Menkaure »

Abyz wrote:I get what you are saying... I understand OSI never had an automated system. That doesn't mean WE can't. Razor didn't exist in era either, but we still use it. Taking player out of the world for an insignificant amount of time is a small price to pay for the fun of events. I understand you dislike events for some reason, Kaivan, and that's fine. I just don't see why you guys can't compromise on this... especially when it doesn't go against the spirit of era accuracy. If you want to make UOSA truly era accurate, disallow razor also.

Well said Abyz. And Kaivan, we all appreciate what you and Derrick and everyone do, and dont want to seem like we are complaining, but its something I think a lot of us feel strongly about. We all REALLY loved the events, and Im sure most of us would do anything to get them back (as I said before, we could hold a fund raiser to raise RL money for the vents to come back).
The thing is, Im all about Era Accuracy too. HOWEVER, theres one problem when you have a shard like this, that is true to era accuracy. It CANT evolve. For a shard to remain somewhat fresh, or somewhat fun or people who have played in for years, it has to evolve. That doesnt mean it has to be UOR, or anything like that. But it needs to evolve within the era accuracy rules. Events are perfect for that. The silver system is perfect for that.
When you have billions of gold and are a great pvper, then maybe the only reason you have left to play is because of the events. But, so what? Its better then just logging in every 2 weeks to refresh 15 houses, right? Tell me you at least see my point there!
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Scienter

Post by Scienter »

I'm on thin ice all the time so I'll do what I can.

I believe I read somewhere that events existed in era. They just weren't automated. The automation system was placed to support the lack of staff. Okay, this makes sense and it's reasonable.

We're using the same attributes T2A offers during events, such as halberd cycling and precasting. The only change is that you're using the T2A attributes and adding a different and more entertaining aspect to the shard. People play video games to entertain themselves.

I've injected a lot of resources to host an event, created a competitiveness outside the individual level by adding a sense of sillyness and patriotism towards the event (USA vs Canada), but I still can't achieve the success that automated events did. Even though my event is expense free and has larger prizes. Automated events also adds competitiveness against other shards.

The PVP population and event loving population is at the point where we're not interested in winnings and we're not asking for the same volume of events either. We like the system keeping stats and having a schedule to where we know and can count on.

-Scienter
Thank you,

-Scienter
"The Great One"
FT$
PM me with reflect bracelets or charged halberds!
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

Scienter wrote:We like the system keeping stats and having a schedule to where we know and can count on.
+1
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

+2
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Scienter wrote:I'm on thin ice all the time so I'll do what I can.

I believe I read somewhere that events existed in era. They just weren't automated. The automation system was placed to support the lack of staff. Okay, this makes sense and it's reasonable.

We're using the same attributes T2A offers during events, such as halberd cycling and precasting. The only change is that you're using the T2A attributes and adding a different and more entertaining aspect to the shard. People play video games to entertain themselves.

I've injected a lot of resources to host an event, created a competitiveness outside the individual level by adding a sense of sillyness and patriotism towards the event (USA vs Canada), but I still can't achieve the success that automated events did. Even though my event is expense free and has larger prizes. Automated events also adds competitiveness against other shards.

The PVP population and event loving population is at the point where we're not interested in winnings and we're not asking for the same volume of events either. We like the system keeping stats and having a schedule to where we know and can count on.

-Scienter

And Scienter has literally dropped millions and millions of gold. And his events give better prizes, are expense free and are truly fun and cool ideas. So why is it his get less sign ups then the server event ones? I can't even answer that one. But the events really would be beneficial in every way. For every person who doesn't want the events, there's 10 people who do. And Scienter, again, thank you for trying to keep this shard fresh and fun
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Double post. Apologies
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Pro

Post by Pro »

As a compromise, not necessarily automated but staff sponsored (trophy prizes and an official leaderboard) run by players.

Freeza

Post by Freeza »

Pro wrote:As a compromise, not necessarily automated but staff sponsored (trophy prizes and an official leaderboard) run by players.
What do you need prizes for? You will have bragging rights for winning! You just want more trammel neons!
Markmosthandsome wrote:
Finesse wrote:-f- disbanded no comment.
lol wtf I'm in the guild and Idk what's going on....

<Pristiq> Shut up prodigy you anti-intellectual simian.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Abyz wrote:I get what you are saying... I understand OSI never had an automated system. That doesn't mean WE can't.
By definition, if OSI didn't have it, it means exactly that we shouldn't have it.
Abyz wrote:Razor didn't exist in era either, but we still use it.
Yet another apples to oranges comparison. Razor is an important vehicle to connecting to the server, for which there is no suitable replacement. It also serves as the best replacment for UO Assist, which was available as a UO Pro program during the era. This is no different than saying that OSI didn't have an IP restriction and we do, so we should have automated events. One is necessary to the free server environment, and the other is not.
Abyz wrote:Taking player out of the world for an insignificant amount of time is a small price to pay for the fun of events.
And here it is. This is the type of statement that smacks of entitlement. There is no group of players that deserves a significant change in the mechanics for any period of time to favor them. Yet, you expect that we should make an exception for yourself, because it is fun for you.

Any group of players would be justified in protesting a system where we opened an automatic moongate that allowed those that prefer to PvM to hop in and kill an instant re-spawn of the most powerful mobs that didn't attack back and where no other players can interfere with their farming. The same complaints would be true if there were moongates opened to an area of specially spawning NPCs that sold infinite amounts of resources, and could purchase an infinite amount of materials, where nobody could be harmed. Or if there were a period of time where stealing wasn't a crime, because stealing from others is what thieves enjoy. Or if special areas were set up so that tamers could go and tame an instant non-aggresive spawn of dragons, white wyrms, and nightmares, because having many powerful pets is enjoyable to them. After all, regardless of whether these are small changes, or only happen for a small period of time, it favors a specific group of players over everyone else. Given the goals of UOSA, I would expect that everyone would respect the fact we are impartial to each interest, and would consider these types of requests to be very selfish.
Abyz wrote:I understand you dislike events for some reason, Kaivan, and that's fine. I just don't see why you guys can't compromise on this... especially when it doesn't go against the spirit of era accuracy.
I dislike automated events that present the type of safe zones that you want for the same reason that I dislike my previous examples, or the inclusion of non-era mechanics for the sake of fun for a specific group of characters: it goes against the goals of the server, and favors one group of players over another.
Abyz wrote:If you want to make UOSA truly era accurate, disallow razor also.
See my previous comment for why this is a silly statement.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

montier

Post by montier »

I don't PVP.. I suck at PVP..

I think that the events are a good idea in principle.. I think automated occurrences(The Stable Plague) and events in the world could be great for the community. If you used the right perspective i think you could justify it.

Player accommodations, such as player towns... count free zones, and others existed in the era. I think the case could be made for this being some sort of player accommodation.. There isn't time in the day to have regular GM run Events.. Could we pretend that the events are run by a fictional GM named "Sally"? And if sally was running the events.. It would be completely era accurate wouldn't it?

I do think it would be too much to ask, to ask the real GMs to be running events all the time.. but if "Sally" did it.. Just a thought..

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Kaivan, why were events even brought then taken away? Its like we got a taste of greatness but our parents threw away the cookie jar after 1 cookie.
Why were they in play for so long?
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Actually, it's more like the kids got ahold of the cookie jar, they all got morbidly obese and some others found ways to get more out of the cookie jar than it was ever intended to provide (statloss free res).

Automated events should not ever exist here again and should not have in the first place. The pumped a currency that should never have existed into this era to suit aquisition of items that may or may not have existed in era. The entire thing from soup to nuts is completely NEA. Yes, you will never get the turnout at a Player Event that you would at a scheduled automatic event for one simple reason, consistency. Player events will never hold a candle to the schedule, timing and accessiblity that autoevents did/could.

Regardless, it's not going to happen so beat the dead horse all you want. You will not be riding it to town ever again.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

No one is asking for a daily silver machine to be brought back. However, me and the other entitled assholes (according to Kaivan), think the server could benefit from a weekly tournament tracked on myuosa. No one cares if we have to use our own resources AND get no prizes. It's consistency and tracking that we want... using a system that is already half in place.

If you'd have to put in a weekly PvM automated event to make is fair... go ahead and do that... just make players use up their pet/regs/time and give them nothing for it but a rating for number of monsters killed or w/e... we wouldn't mind that one bit. In fact that'd be a great idea... but they didn't have that on osi and it doesn't help you connect to the server.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Blaise wrote:Actually, it's more like the kids got ahold of the cookie jar, they all got morbidly obese and some others found ways to get more out of the cookie jar than it was ever intended to provide (statloss free res).

Automated events should not ever exist here again and should not have in the first place. The pumped a currency that should never have existed into this era to suit aquisition of items that may or may not have existed in era. The entire thing from soup to nuts is completely NEA. Yes, you will never get the turnout at a Player Event that you would at a scheduled automatic event for one simple reason, consistency. Player events will never hold a candle to the schedule, timing and accessiblity that autoevents did/could.

Regardless, it's not going to happen so beat the dead horse all you want. You will not be riding it to town ever again.
Jesus, no one cares about the silver or prizes. The events were fun. That's all. Is it that much to ask for? Capture the flag was awesome, so was last man standing. So were the tourneys. It took a large part of the shard away. And as I said before, how will this shard evolve now? If we keep gunning for complete and total era accuracy, it can't.
What harm could one or 2 events a week do ? Lets just keep them out and have 450/520 people that are online continue to afk macro and gather. Because, hey, that's era accurate.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Are you guys blind, or just mildly retarded? I really don't want to turn this into trash talking, but for starters, Kaivan called no one assholes, but you are certainly sounding entitled.

No, the shard will not evolve. That is practically stated in the mission statement. The intention here has nothing to do with improving UO or providing anything to the players aside from AS ACCURATE A REPLICA OF THE CHOSEN ERA AS POSSIBLE!

Yes, PvP events were fun. Monster bash events were fun too. Same with Survival games (barding), etc. Aside from fun, they were also one very very MAJOR thing......NEA.
Stomping your foot on the ground saying 'but but but', will never change the mission statement.

You want ot change the mission statement? Offer Derrick so much money for the shard that he cannot refuse it, and change the mission statement to whatever the hell you want. :)
Est Sularus oth Mithas