Boat Blockades. "This must come to an end!"

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Chad-

Re: This must come to an end!

Post by Chad- »

DarkWing wrote:
Chad- wrote:whats he blocking thats so important you care so much
for one ... he is blocking mining resources ...

second .. my Pirate can't get back there and PK him

he has free mining with no risk of being PK'd
You got owned get over it. Was a smart idea. Why should he be punished for doing a good idea? Its not like he blocked half of brittania its a little mountain side :/

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Boat Blockades. "This must come to an end!"

Post by SJane3384 »

I also think this is wrong. Say a player wanted to block off an entire island, so they had no neighbors (just wilderness). This player decides to place a bunch of small houses, each with a guildstone in it, and then let the smalls fall thereby blocking house placement. You can 100% bet that if another player decided they wanted to place a house, they could page a GM and have those guildstones removed.

This is very similar. These are people taking a specific part of the game that was not meant to be owned by players and making it own-able. It also creates an unfair advantage economically. If one player or guild was able to have uninterrupted mining (afk or not), how are those of us who have to play fight or flight with the PKers every so often to compete?

As for the bank boat argument, a bank boat is NOT blocking anyone else from using the bank. So there's no unfair advantage (eg having your very own bank). There is also still risk involved, so it's not the same. Going AFK in a private cove is no big deal, because no one can access you. You can go have dinner, go to bed, whatever, and you know that when you come back your stuff will be safe. Not so for a bank boat. Yesterday, for example, I literally walked away for less than a minute. When I came back, I had been PK'd and the person brought their alt to loot me and was recalling out.

Derrick wrote:Player creativity will atrophy when staff are looked to to solve in-game problems. These coves are accessible in the curent configuration.
I guess I don't understand how this will atrophy player creativity on a large scale. It's taking one person's unfair advantage away. It's not like telling people they can't find innovative ways to PK, or telling people they can't RP.

Also, how is the cove accessible? We can't place boats from other boats, so there's no teleporting/recalling past them. There's no landmass to walk across and get there. The boats are kept locked at all times, so there's no sailing them away. When the person comes to refresh the boat, they can simply sail along the other side with the keys (and if a PK comes, retreat into the cove where the other boat is unable to follow).

As a side note, I sent an email to EA saying the following, regarding the current policy:
I was recently reading through your policies, specifically about boat placement and blocking off resources (eg a cove for mining). Just wondering, has this always been OSI/EA's stance? I seem to remember back when I started playing (UO: Second Age) that this was not so....
Who knows if they'll email me back (and if they do whether it will be relavent and not a canned response), but it was worth a shot.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

Ooompa Loompa

Re: This must come to an end!

Post by Ooompa Loompa »

DarkWing wrote:
Ooompa Loompa wrote: Therefore I see nothing wrong with PVP avoidance, and it can actualy be IN the spirit of the shard.

if you want PVP or PK avoidance .. go play a Trammel Ruleset Shard
Why would I play a trammel ruleset shard when I just said I like the Felluca ruleset? To repeat myself though I like the excitement a Felluca ruleset shard has to offer....I don't like the trammel ruleset.....therefore I will not play a shard with trammel ruleset. Perhaps if you want a shard that is ALL PVP/PK you should play on a PVP/PK shard. This is a T2A shard and it embraces all styles of gameplay.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Derrick wrote:Player creativity will atrophy when staff are looked to to solve in-game problems. These coves are accessible in the curent configuration.

In the past other sides of mountains have been blocked and people fretted, but eventually those boats moved or decayed.

i don't see how these coves are accessable beyone the blockades

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

I have not thought about how to kill these people much but i guess you just wanted to pk them maybe summon some water elements on the other side and instruct them to go kill maybe ??

I can't think of to many other way to get around the boat unless there is a tile that you can tele on to in the rock shore .

I like I'm sure everyone else will keep thinking about this problem and when I or anyone comes up with a way a player can get at these people I will post it for all. (If Derrick says theres a way I'm sure there is just not thinking it though enough)

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Chad-

Post by Chad- »

place the boats past his boats than recall fo your key obviously

Pro

Post by Pro »

Already said this in IRC but here's what you do;

You need 2 chars (one that can gate) and 2 boats.

1. Take your boat out to their blockade.
2. Open up a gate to your other character who should have a boat on them.
3. Move your first boat
4. Go in with other character
5. Place on other side
6. Recall off key.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

As I told DarkWing on IRC today, I've added 4 more boats to the inside of the cove in question.. yay! I broke through the blockade and blocked the blockers

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

there is now a Poll going on this ..

Vote for your Answer

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12805

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

DarkWing wrote:

In the past other sides of mountains have been blocked and people fretted, but eventually those boats moved or decayed.

i don't see how these coves are accessable beyone the blockades

dexter4321

Post by dexter4321 »

Darkwing if you have a problem with UOSA I suggest you go elsewhere. You will change nothing here.

Zane

Post by Zane »

dexter4321 wrote:Darkwing if you have a problem with UOSA I suggest you go elsewhere. You will change nothing here.
Actually, even though our pirates will be in warring guilds, I plan on speaking with Darkwing very soon about combining our efforts to combat this regardless of whatever action is or isn't taken... So yes, he can change something... At least I hope he can or our efforts will go to waste.

dexter4321

Post by dexter4321 »

For one thing this whole idea is just stupid and worthless and no one really gives a damn other than some roleplaying pirates that are not going to be here in a month or so. The other thing is the reason why this thread is even getting as much attention as it is is because the principle of the thing. You are trying to take away from the creativity and freedom that is Ultima Online.

This is a game where you can do anything you want, if you got a problem with that.. then either change a shard or go play a different game. Your trying to put down more rules and restrictions in a game that's sole purpose was to create as much freedom as possible.

If it wasn't for the ultimate freedom that is Ultima Online, the game would have never came to be. It's the logic of what you are doing, you are trying to destroy what Ultima Online represents and twist it to your own selfish desires.

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

dexter4321 wrote:For one thing this whole idea is just stupid and worthless and no one really gives a damn other than some roleplaying pirates that are not going to be here in a month or so. The other thing is the reason why this thread is even getting as much attention as it is is because the principle of the thing. You are trying to take away from the creativity and freedom that is Ultima Online.

This is a game where you can do anything you want, if you got a problem with that.. then either change a shard or go play a different game. Your trying to put down more rules and restrictions in a game that's sole purpose was to create as much freedom as possible.

If it wasn't for the ultimate freedom that is Ultima Online, the game would have never came to be. It's the logic of what you are doing, you are trying to destroy what Ultima Online represents and twist it to your own selfish desires.

1) A lot of these players have been here a lot longer than you.
2) Only two of these people are RPrs, the rest of us just think it's unfair.
3) This game is NOT one where you can do whatever you want. In fact, if you've seen my previous post, OSI has actually disallowed this. If you were supposed to be able to do whatever you want, you could place houses in the middle of towns, or on someone else's front door, or (similarly to this problem) blocking the entrance to a dungeon. You would be able to kill whomever you wanted in towns. You would be able to use bugs like duping to make 10gp into a million.

So, if you want a game where you can truly do anything you want Dexter, go play Second Life. Otherwise, the rules and spirit of OSI's original intentions should be carried out.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

dexter4321

Post by dexter4321 »

Why do you think OSI failed in the end? Why do you think Trammel was invented? Why do you think OSI went down a road that it's only destination was it's inevitable destruction? It is things like this that created Trammel and ruined OSI.