Change isnt always a bad thing..

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Do you support this post?

yes
40%
no
56%
not sure
4%

Total votes: 52

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Change isnt always a bad thing..

Post by Zelek Uther »

There will be many reasons why people are drawn to this shard.

I represent the following demographic:
* Played T2A in 1999 (for about 3 months, quit to travel overseas)
* Misty-eyed and nostalgic about reliving that experience
* Excited about having the opportunity to accomplish and explore more than I did originally (e.g. own a house)

When I first logged in to this shard I was almost beside myself with excitement... "wow, this looks just like I remember!"

I haven't been this excited about anything for a long time.

I'm here for 1999 T2A.
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The problem with nostalgia is that it wears off, which is the main reasons shards like this have trouble keeping players for extended periods. When nothing changes and you essentially "win the game", you get bored.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

That's where events come in.

Everyone knew what UOSA was when they created an account here. I started an account here because I knew I would be satisfied with the shard's ideological goal. If for some reason I ever become bored, I will take it upon myself to make UOSA interesting or I will find something else to do. Since UOSA is not a business, I am not sure player retention is the ultimate goal of the staff here.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I have definitely gone through periods of being extremely bored and not playing, but I always end up finding a new goal to set for myself and it renews my motivation to play. I don't think (trivial/minor) changes to the shard's mechanics or more/less events would affect that motivation, really.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

mdubb

Post by mdubb »

Corbin wrote:The problem with nostalgia is that it wears off, which is the main reasons shards like this have trouble keeping players for extended periods. When nothing changes and you essentially "win the game", you get bored.
That's why I wish UOSA didn't allow UA macroing. It turns the game into Macroing Online: T2A, and when you get done macroing, you just take your bard or whatever, and win the game. I see more people with 6 figure balances at the brit bank here in an hour, than I'd see on OSI shards in a week, before the advent of power hour and Trammel. The only difference between UA macroing and power hour is that you might waste more resources on macroing depending on what you train. The ability to dodge PK's by going to Trammel was only half the problem that ruined UO:R. The other half was everyone and their mother suddenly having the ability to macro a PvM god in a month or two.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

mdubb wrote:That's why I wish UOSA didn't allow UA macroing. It turns the game into Macroing Online: T2A, and when you get done macroing, you just take your bard or whatever, and win the game. I see more people with 6 figure balances at the brit bank here in an hour, than I'd see on OSI shards in a week, before the advent of power hour and Trammel. The only difference between UA macroing and power hour is that you might waste more resources on macroing depending on what you train. The ability to dodge PK's by going to Trammel was only half the problem that ruined UO:R. The other half was everyone and their mother suddenly having the ability to macro a PvM god in a month or two.
I certainly agree with this. There are so many reasons to get rid of macroing, but it won't happen simply because that is how the shard was born. New players would not like going up against an horde of 7x GM characters.

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

Corbin wrote:
mdubb wrote:That's why I wish UOSA didn't allow UA macroing. It turns the game into Macroing Online: T2A, and when you get done macroing, you just take your bard or whatever, and win the game. I see more people with 6 figure balances at the brit bank here in an hour, than I'd see on OSI shards in a week, before the advent of power hour and Trammel. The only difference between UA macroing and power hour is that you might waste more resources on macroing depending on what you train. The ability to dodge PK's by going to Trammel was only half the problem that ruined UO:R. The other half was everyone and their mother suddenly having the ability to macro a PvM god in a month or two.
I certainly agree with this. There are so many reasons to get rid of macroing, but it won't happen simply because that is how the shard was born. New players would not like going up against an horde of 7x GM characters.
Yeah I agree, that is something that would have to be implemented at the creation stage of a shard. Otherwise new players would be at severe disadvantage to those who already have finished characters.

mdubb

Post by mdubb »

Yeah, being one of those new players, I would certainly do an about face, and bitch to high heaven if it suddenly became against the rules. It just reminds me of why I quit OSI in the first place. GM'ing things like smithing and taming were almost like a badge to tell people you were insane and unemployed, then suddenly there's a GM weapon vendor in every house, and ten guys selling dragons at Brit bank. The thing I miss most was how engaging things were when everyone couldn't do everything by themselves. Instead of just being your own smith or carpenter, you found someone else to help you with that stuff, and it led to a lot of interesting encounters.

BizzyBeast

Post by BizzyBeast »

First about macro'ing.. I have to say to some people that is THEIR nostalgia. My brother, for instance, was the macro king on OSI (catskills). Even making complicated macros to detect a GM asking if he is there and say a multitude of random phrases like "What? GTG DINNER!" and then logging out.

I cant even imagine someone actually manually doing anat or eval.

And speaking of that I hear all this era accurate bullshit, which I think is just too funny. Its kind of like an old english book club bickering over tea.. 'Why I do say old chap, the smell of fresh leather is the only fancy that gets me jollys going.'. Its so old and boring to watch these awkward people say it over and over and over.. I want Derrick's vision deep inside of me, this shard isnt for you, its Derricks. Derrick Derrick. lol.

Im trying so hard to find patch notes that made skills gain at this rate. Or maybe im simply off and it is accurate, but I highly doubt it. Im looking for things like bag ball is it you call it?

So being new and not really caring, Im saying THERE IS THINGS CHANGED. STOP BULLSHITTING. Its not impressive and huffing D-mans bird isnt saving this shard.

Lets just be honest about the shard.. Its a gateway. OMG THIS IS SOOO FUN, AS I REMEMBER.. Oh nothing new.. Oh PvP is almost non-exsistant and horribly unbalanced. Oh GM hallys hit for 60s without anat.. Oh there is no classes but everyone is tank mage the no classes class.

Its funny how these points are very easy to remember.

The sad truth is the shard is fun just like dec 99 to like a few weeks after.. How ironic that it only takes a few weeks for that fun to wear off.

Soon as IPY2 hits, with the SAME ERA, but with people actually talented (I seriously dont mean to offend you Derrick, but it simply seems to boil down to this) enough to make progressive changes.. Man I just feel bad for anybody standing around nut hugging going "Yah dec 99 baby! Wohooo!" and stare blankly as it echoes off the empty brit walls.

Sorry, I know this will sting some people, but you gotta hear it. Its almost like an intervetion that you dont have to thank me for.

Get with the times or continue (again sorry to be truthful and blunt) to steadily fall below the popular shards list. I dont care how much bullshit someone can swallow... Derrick being ok with 2 people, isnt real, its like telling your kid gumdrop dream candy world comes when they fall asleep. He wouldnt of made it a public shard if he didnt want it to be active and have people playing it. REGARDLESS of Derrick only wanting 1 person playing it... You dont. LOL.. Quit bullshitting, lower the pop gets, THE LOWER THE POP CONTINUES TO GET.

So dont get too mad at me force feeding some truth down your throats, instead put your heads together and figure a way to save your beloved shard before boredom kills it. Go to Hybrid and you see poker, factions, NEVER ENDING PVP, HUGE chunks of active people.. You gotta chug 9 red pots to get to brit bank.

Just like 99 OSI UO... Active. But those guys queered it way too much with blessed this and that, etheral who nots and alot of crappy stuff that bogs down the oldschool UO feeling. So it sucks, but its never boring. Where as UOSA doesnt suck, but is frequently boring.

~Truth Prophet

*Chins up, to scoff at the incoming haters who cant stand truth or being put in their place*

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

BizzyBeast wrote:tl;dr
Ok, so I read some of it and the ignorance is massive.

While your brother may or may not have been the "macro king", it doesn't take away from the fact that it was still a ban-able offense, as it should be now.

I highly doubt the people who actually played IPY would ever go back considering the guy who ran it didn't exactly leave on good terms with his players; what with him stealing their donation money and all...

Know what else you see on Hybrid? Neon... lots and lots of neon. Which is one of the reasons I left EA shards to begin with. Know what else they have on Hybrid? UOGamers. A piss poor, absolutely corrupt staff.

Fourth, you've also obviously failed to notice our numbers are higher lately than they have been in a while.

For some Truth Prophet, you really don't know much. But then, according to you, you'll be gone in a week if you're not already. so it really doesn't matter, does it? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Many of us are working to make the shard better, and it will be far better without your type here for sure. :)

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

I played IPY.

The staff was crooked as hell. The shard attracted the absolute worst types of players.

I would never give up UOSA for IPY 2.

With that said, removing AFK macroing is an awful idea. If you think its fun to run around on an undeveloped character then take it upon yourself to do.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

I learned from this thread that change is always a bad thing.

BizzyBeast

Post by BizzyBeast »

Corbin wrote:Please pay attention to me Bizzy!
Sorry, im sure whatever you posted was awesome, but im the Truth Prophet.. I dont have the time to be reading insignificant posts from somebody like Corbin Dallas multipass.

Do continue to enjoy the glorious beacons of truthful light, that are my posts though. For the time being they are free of charge.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

BizzyBeast wrote:Sorry, im sure whatever you posted was awesome, but im the Truth Prophet.. I dont have the time to be reading insignificant posts from somebody like Corbin Dallas multipass.

Do continue to enjoy the glorious beacons of truthful light, that are my posts though. For the time being they are free of charge.
gg toolbox... you the one screaming pay attention to me

khamaileon

Post by khamaileon »

i agree with the fact that when you own 5 keeps,5towers and 5 smalls,15 7x characters,and a number of dragons,and a chest full of vanqs,game can become boring.actually none of these is my goal,but i understand it is for most.if you go to the shard statistics you can see how we had a peak of population about a year ago,and then slowly decrease.thats could be because 6 month are,more or less,the time needed to accomplish all of the above.real t2a lasted 2 years and none of us has had 1/10 of the above.then they decide to change the game forever,even though it could possibly be the same for other 10 years before anyone was actually "winning".
macro and multi client makes our t2a experience more than 10 times shorter,thats the thruth.a change is needed,imo,but in the right direction.no neon no strange addons no alteration in pvp system no shit.
just shard start over with 1 account and no razor,or 3 accounts and siege(while siege is more easily accomplished than 1 acc and no razor,however it would not be the t2a we all remember).that way we'll really see who can win the second age,and who should quickly found a gate for trammel :P.
this is basicaly my greatest e-dream.(this and snooping issue being fixed :P)