Goodbye this is just sad. Im sorry.

Topics related to Second Age
Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Goodbye this is just sad. Im sorry.

Post by Wise »

lotus39 wrote:
DrFaustus wrote:Let me know what your word of the day is tomorrow...

Oh snap, I can tell you now its going to be reprehensible.

Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Wise wrote:
lotus39 wrote:
DrFaustus wrote:Let me know what your word of the day is tomorrow...

Oh snap, I can tell you now its going to be reprehensible.

I hear this guy started scamming in UO
Attachments
madoff.jpg
madoff.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Hey, those folks didn't have to put their money in Madoff...

In no way am I condoning what the man did, but lesson learned.

But they didn't quit life, now did they?

Well, some of them might have!
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Domnu

Post by Domnu »

lotus39 wrote:
Well of course its over generalizing, there simply isnt enough evidence to say conclusivly if someone is or isnt.

Interesting though how many check marks you can put next to the average UO scammer, like I said Wrong is wrong, the only difference is you dont get prosecuted in UO and thats the justification.
The internet opens up a new behavioral environment. With purely symbolic inter-personal communications people are insulated from emotional norms and their behavior may qualify on a purely technical, diagnostic level, as socipathic, but those behavioral norms were not established through internet communications.

Careful about throwing jargon out there lotus. People can sometimes behave in a sociopathic way over the internet, but were you to meet them in person they may not be at all what you'd expect.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Domnu wrote:
lotus39 wrote:
Well of course its over generalizing, there simply isnt enough evidence to say conclusivly if someone is or isnt.

Interesting though how many check marks you can put next to the average UO scammer, like I said Wrong is wrong, the only difference is you dont get prosecuted in UO and thats the justification.
The internet opens up a new behavioral environment. With purely symbolic inter-personal communications people are insulated from emotional norms and their behavior may qualify on a purely technical, diagnostic level, as socipathic, but those behavioral norms were not established through internet communications.

Careful about throwing jargon out there lotus. People can sometimes behave in a sociopathic way over the internet, but were you to meet them in person they may not be at all what you'd expect.
Summary:
When people have anonymity, they are more inclined to be jerks. Theres some interney law about this, but I forget what it's called.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Domnu wrote:
lotus39 wrote:

Summary:
When people have anonymity, they are more inclined to be jerks. Theres some interney law about this, but I forget what it's called.

must be law 34 ;)
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Domnu

Post by Domnu »

More importantly, though... Mike, sorry that happened. You seem to have taken all this in stride, and that says a lot.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

It's John Gabriel's Greater Internet F___wad Theory.

(link has some bad language, so I didnt embed it as an image)
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com ... Theory.jpg

Domnu

Post by Domnu »

MatronDeWinter wrote: Summary:

It's more than just anonymity, though. I think it has more to do with the inability of symbols to signify that you are interacting with another human being. Anonymity has inspired some people to do some incredibly compassionate things for other people, which doesn't really happen over the internet. The problem is that most of the time we don't actually see (and I'm using this in a figurative sense, not just a literal "using your eyeballs" way) the other people that we're interacting with over the internet, particularly in UO.

I'd call it something sort of like internet-induced solipsism.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Domnu wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote: Summary:

It's more than just anonymity, though. I think it has more to do with the inability of symbols to signify that you are interacting with another human being. Anonymity has inspired some people to do some incredibly compassionate things for other people, which doesn't really happen over the internet. The problem is that most of the time we don't actually see (and I'm using this in a figurative sense, not just a literal "using your eyeballs" way) the other people that we're interacting with over the internet, particularly in UO.

I'd call it something sort of like internet-induced solipsism.
I agree. I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy.

I get what you are saying though, we sort of dehumanize opposite people on the internet.

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

[/quote]
Careful about throwing jargon out there lotus. People can sometimes behave in a sociopathic way over the internet, but were you to meet them in person they may not be at all what you'd expect.[/quote]

I have met plenty of folks from online and while what you say is true for sure. I also think that if your a scammer in UO you have a defect in RL too, I dont care how nice you are in person.

yesterday I wanted to buy out my Neighbor he has a house to mine I think a larger house will fit.

He literally just transffered the deed to me. Now I need money in game I could have screwed him out of the deed but I didnt, I understand and comprehend there is another human being on the other end of the virtual toon, he spent his time and effort to get that money, and that by all accounts would be allowable under game mechnics.
i.e. thief etc.

however taking it off screen to chat programs and setting up someone to rip them off is just foul crap and anyone who does it is foul both in game and in RL.

sure anyone who logs on to this shard should plan for the worst in people as its part of the culture in uo as in RL.

Point im trying to make is that anyone who scams in UO like this guy got scammed has a defect pure and simple, they are looking to screw people out of time.

They are also bad for the shard as they prey on the very population we need more of, new players.

This does not incluse the thief at the bank that steal a key and loots a house, the game has this built in it for a reason.

scamming is not a game mechanic

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:It's John Gabriel's Greater Internet F___wad Theory.

(link has some bad language, so I didnt embed it as an image)
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com ... Theory.jpg

LOL brilliant

Domnu

Post by Domnu »

lotus39 wrote: however taking it off screen to chat programs and setting up someone to rip them off is just foul crap and anyone who does it is foul both in game and in RL.
The term "sociopath," as you defined it, is a clinical one; it has specific diagnostic characteristics that are useful in identifying treatment for particular pathological behaviors. Using psychological terms as a way to bully and demean other people just makes life harder on yourself and everyone else by throwing labels and judgments around. People do bad things when they play this game, and when they're on the internet. It doesn't help discourage that kind of behavior to just go around calling names.

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

To put it bluntly, people do dumb sh** and act like assholes on the internet because they know they can get away with it without getting knocked the f** out like they would if they acted like that irl.
Last edited by Izual on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Domnu wrote:
lotus39 wrote: however taking it off screen to chat programs and setting up someone to rip them off is just foul crap and anyone who does it is foul both in game and in RL.
The term "sociopath," as you defined it, is a clinical one; it has specific diagnostic characteristics that are useful in identifying treatment for particular pathological behaviors. Using psychological terms as a way to bully and demean other people just makes life harder on yourself and everyone else by throwing labels and judgments around. People do bad things when they play this game, and when they're on the internet. It doesn't help discourage that kind of behavior to just go around calling names.

Sure and when you examine the average UO scammer they have a lot in common with the clinical defintion.

" Using psychological terms as a way to bully and demean other people"

I am not demeaning or bullying anyone? I am labeling a behavior in UO and the people who choose to engage in that behavior. Its not bullying its offering my opinion, you dont have to like it or agree.

"just makes life harder on yourself and everyone else by throwing labels and judgments around"

That may well be the case but I would argue that scamming noobs on the game makes life harder for that noob and the shard overall.

And if me labeling people who scam is making life harder on them, THEN GOOD.

"People do bad things when they play this game, and when they're on the internet. It doesn't help discourage that kind of behavior to just go around calling names.[/"

Sure some people do bad things in game and on the internet.
Of course it doesnt discourage it, because they have sociopathic tendencies the people who engage in scamming arent going to give a crap what I have to say about it.

Doesnt mean I am not entitled to my opinion.

The OP was about a guy getting scammed and quitting, scamming that guy just hurt the shard far more than me calling the people who did it sociopaths.

Scamming is not a game mechanic and the game mechanics dont stop people from scamming.,neither does common decency and respect for others time.

Whoever scammed dude I hope you get it back 10 fold, I hope Karma has something horrifc and nasty in store for you, because even though its a game you are still a POS.

and if you have a problem with that I dont give a sh**