In game racism was a perma ban on OSI.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
platy

Re: In game racism was a perma ban on OSI.

Post by platy »

Off topic, but still in consideration of the screenshots,
Anyone else notice he got in trouble for bringing an ostard from the new lands to the old lands?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

platy wrote:Off topic, but still in consideration of the screenshots,
Anyone else notice he got in trouble for bringing an ostard from the new lands to the old lands?
It wasn't allowed, you needed to use bugs to take any animals from new lands -> old lands or vice versa. There were signs at all the T2A entrances saying "QUARANTINE AREA... NO PETS ALLOWED PAST THIS POINT" or something like that. Not sure why it's not like that here since we're going for era accuracy. AFAIK only the moonglow teleporter disallows pet travel.

Era accurate, but inconvenient, I guess.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

FireflyWash
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by FireflyWash »

DarkWing wrote:
Derrick has also stated that he would love to have more players Join the Server!

having a clean Civil server is a Great Way to attract and Keep New Players!!!

Hate to say it, but I agree with DarkWing.

People (even newbie PvP'er) do not want to log on, start their bard to fund their player, get immediately PK'd and deal with a player following them around spamming n*****fa***t for the next 20 minutes.

**I agree with Matron**

Pro

Post by Pro »

You're all exaggerating the problem of racism the only people on this server who I've seen be consistently racist are a few of ACE and Dagon and I've been playing here for a year now (pretty active too)

platy

Post by platy »

nightshark wrote:
platy wrote:Off topic, but still in consideration of the screenshots,
It wasn't allowed, you needed to use bugs to take any animals from new lands -> old lands or vice versa. There were signs at all the T2A entrances saying "QUARANTINE AREA... NO PETS ALLOWED PAST THIS POINT" or something like that. Not sure why it's not like that here since we're going for era accuracy. AFAIK only the moonglow teleporter disallows pet travel.

Era accurate, but inconvenient, I guess.
I know, I've brought this up many times now.. I get shut down everytime- well not so much shut down, as nothing gets changed..

ehafh

Post by ehafh »

judging by no reply from the staff, i'm guessing nothing will be done.

a pity if this is the case.
“Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”
- Will Rogers

Pac

Post by Pac »

Pro wrote:You're all exaggerating the problem of racism the only people on this server who I've seen be consistently racist are a few of ACE and Dagon and I've been playing here for a year now (pretty active too)

Agreed, some people just aren't content unless they're complaining about something though so they come up with this.

ehafh

Post by ehafh »

i don't believe it's a case of extra work, because in the game you can send a chat log of the past x amount of journal.
it's not hard to review that. and i'm sure that many people would step up and be more than willing to do this.
maybe a new seer?

i see a lot of people saying perma ban, because those words were in my title i suppose.
well.. afk macro's don't = perma ban instantly i see no reason to leap to conclusions that this would.
there could easily be devised a system, warning, 1 day ban, 1 week, perma.

but some insight into why the moderation is unwilling would be interesting.
why is it not ok on irc and the forums then? kind of hypocritical.

and again, the all or nothing argument with rules is unfounded.
that's not the way this server has ever been as far as i can tell.

i don't expect anything to change, as it seems the majority is very comfortable with being selfish.
people saying what about idiot and moron = bad words, wow you're seriously moronic.
and maybe you should look those words up because they actually have to do with intelligence quotients.

have fun staving off potential new players, and donations. :roll:
and ruling with a double edged sword for irc and forums.
“Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”
- Will Rogers

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Pro wrote:You're all exaggerating the problem of racism the only people on this server who I've seen be consistently racist are a few of ACE and Dagon and I've been playing here for a year now (pretty active too)
Which is why I sat for 20 minutes at Brit bank last night watching several players engaging in racist comments, acknowledge it, and laugh about it. I now wish I would have recorded the whole thing so I could paste the video here.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Racism Breeds Hatred and Distastes!

and this Hatred and Distastes isn't Always Directed at the individual that is Being Racist!

it also goes towards the Community that allows it to go unpunished and those in charge of the community!

This is a DIRECT reflection on the type of Community and Staff we have on this Server!

we will only be as successful as our Weakest Issue! and right now Racism is at the Top of the List!

I fear that we Shall Never be the BEST Server out there as long as The Racism goes Unpunished!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

ehafh wrote:i don't believe it's a case of extra work, because in the game you can send a chat log of the past x amount of journal.
it's not hard to review that. and i'm sure that many people would step up and be more than willing to do this.
maybe a new seer?

i see a lot of people saying perma ban, because those words were in my title i suppose.
well.. afk macro's don't = perma ban instantly i see no reason to leap to conclusions that this would.
there could easily be devised a system, warning, 1 day ban, 1 week, perma.

but some insight into why the moderation is unwilling would be interesting.
why is it not ok on irc and the forums then? kind of hypocritical.

and again, the all or nothing argument with rules is unfounded.
that's not the way this server has ever been as far as i can tell.

i don't expect anything to change, as it seems the majority is very comfortable with being selfish.
people saying what about idiot and moron = bad words, wow you're seriously moronic.
and maybe you should look those words up because they actually have to do with intelligence quotients.

have fun staving off potential new players, and donations. :roll:
and ruling with a double edged sword for irc and forums.

the reason it isnt allowed on the forums is because search engines index these threads. its kind of a highly debated subject but some SEO experts say that a website which contains "racially hateful text or links" can be penalized by some of the major search engines in their page rankings (Google in particular). in-game speech is a different story.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i would rather see derrick put his time into the development of this shard then waste it trying to police a bunch of idiots having a heated conversation in game. thats my opinion and im stickin to it. once again i do not condone racism, but i do think that UO requires its players to have a certain degree of "thick skin". unfortunatly some of you are lacking that, and putting it on derrick and staff saying its a negative reflection on them just isnt fair. you play for free people, it may not be the perfect game for everyone, but you play for free. if you cant handle someone trash talking you to the far extremes of the english language, after murdering you and your horse in game, then maybe this isnt the game for you.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

ClowN wrote: the reason it isnt allowed on the forums is because search engines index these threads. its kind of a highly debated subject but some SEO experts say that a website which contains "racially hateful text or links" can be penalized by some of the major search engines in their page rankings (Google in particular). in-game speech is a different story.
this is true .. and we have Non Staff Member Moderators to police the Forums!

but the Hypicritical part is IRC .. the STAFF does not allow racism and Distasteful Names in the main Chat Rooms but yet they Allow it in Game!?

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

The IRC ban for racism stems from the general rule of not harassing other players or being a dick. #secondage is supposed to be a safe haven for new players to come and recieve help, and for veteran players to discuss the game without disruption. Of course, our community being the way it is, there is some disruption and general discourse, but it doesn't happen often. Racism and complete douchebaggery is perfectly acceptable in #secondagepvp, which is (mostly) unmoderated.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

of you are offended by racism...in a wizard game... learn how to use your filters.....

:P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]