Events - The most inaccurate thing on the shard.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Tron

Re: Events - The most inaccurate thing on the shard.

Post by Tron »

events are great. noone forces anyone to participate, and they never happened often enough to take away from world pvp. matter of fact they always had the opposite effect of actually grouping players together and the pvp would happen afterwards, most often in bucs.

i would miss events if they were removed from uosa. some people - like myself - have been playing events and saving trophies - not buying any - for over a year to EARN their own reward. i might be mia atm, but events are the one thing i miss about playing right now.

also, we did something like this before. we took out just the rewards for events and the participation went to like 5-10 people per event. i was for the removal of rewards if events got to stay, and that was tried. it just made the events dull and noone enjoyed them. so we put back in rewards and events were fun again.

it seems like noone is ever happy though and this gets brought back up every few months.

we dont have 3k players on this server like osi did, its nice to have the events out there to help bring everyone together too.
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Faust

Post by Faust »

Watatsumi wrote: This makes no sense at all. Your picking and choosing what is "policy" and what is era accurate. Why not make a "policy" decision not to have a broken pvp system for of tank mages? Why can't it be policy to make poisoning worth a damn? If you can't replicate events from T2A don't replicate them at all, stop making stupid excuses. This has nothing to do with your so called "social engineering" of the shard. The fact is and you admitted that automated world events happened in T2A. Knowingly putting in these Uogamer type of automated instances were never part of OSI, disregarding era accuracy, bravo. Just admit they won't be taken out not because of era accuracy, but because people will leave because they need their stupid color sandals and masks to make this shard even less of a T2A experience. Everytime I see Choppa or other's inaccurate outfits it makes me want to puke. Black sandals and black tubs should be the only thing on here.
Please don't let us go back to the other thread about events that you were humiliated in when it came to the automated Trinsic invasion event that was based on the storyline leading up to Trammel. We all know you kept your mouth shut after that, so please don't try to re-hash this stupid argument back up once more. I don't know what to tell you if you don't like the policy and game mechanic decision that was setup by the staff here.

There were numerous special items handed out in the several events ranging from numerous different shards during the entire history of Ultima Online dating back to the start of the game.

Day of the Dead - 1999
ImageImage

Dungeon Month Gem

Crystalline Blackrock(infinite teleport charges) - October 1998

Reference: http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/IA/Catsk ... ndex.shtml

There is an entire list of several items ranging from the early days of Ultima Online ONLY for the Catskills shard. There is even an ice blade that is in fact a NEON color that you are ranting on about in your post. Again, the staff on this shard can decide whatever direction they want their shard to go in when it comes to these type of policy decisions. Sorry, son this isn't an accuracy issue for the countless time.

Watatsumi
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Watatsumi »

Faust wrote:
Watatsumi wrote: This makes no sense at all. Your picking and choosing what is "policy" and what is era accurate. Why not make a "policy" decision not to have a broken pvp system for of tank mages? Why can't it be policy to make poisoning worth a damn? If you can't replicate events from T2A don't replicate them at all, stop making stupid excuses. This has nothing to do with your so called "social engineering" of the shard. The fact is and you admitted that automated world events happened in T2A. Knowingly putting in these Uogamer type of automated instances were never part of OSI, disregarding era accuracy, bravo. Just admit they won't be taken out not because of era accuracy, but because people will leave because they need their stupid color sandals and masks to make this shard even less of a T2A experience. Everytime I see Choppa or other's inaccurate outfits it makes me want to puke. Black sandals and black tubs should be the only thing on here.
Please don't let us go back to the other thread about events that you were humiliated in when it came to the automated Trinsic invasion event that was based on the storyline leading up to Trammel. We all know you kept your mouth shut after that, so please don't try to re-hash this stupid argument back up once more. I don't know what to tell you if you don't like the policy and game mechanic decision that was setup by the staff here.

There were numerous special items handed out in the several events ranging from numerous different shards during the entire history of Ultima Online dating back to the start of the game.

Day of the Dead - 1999
ImageImage

Dungeon Month Gem

Crystalline Blackrock(infinite teleport charges) - October 1998

Reference: http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/IA/Catsk ... ndex.shtml

There is an entire list of several items ranging from the early days of Ultima Online ONLY for the Catskills shard. There is even an ice blade that is in fact a NEON color that you are ranting on about in your post. Again, the staff on this shard can decide whatever direction they want their shard to go in when it comes to these type of policy decisions. Sorry, son this isn't an accuracy issue for the countless time.
How many of these items were bought and sold with gold? NONE. They were very rare items and if you got them you held on to them. Bring in the era accurate OSI economy where gold was only worth the regs you could buy with it. The fact is the only people with these items on this shard are the ones that win at the flawed tourney system or the people who farm 24/7. I would never back down from a war of words with you. You have proven yourself a moron time and time again. And just because you can pull a few pics of items with unique names doesn't mean colored trammel items were rampant across osi shards. The reason i hate these things is because i never ever say them on an OSI production shard. And there was never a stupid system to buy said items. ERA INACCURATE. Keep posting about trammel invasions and pics of items that are not the even the ones i am talking about to prove you non existent point. You know a trophy economy never existed on any shard. Hence era inaccurate. You lose, but you are probably used to that.

benny-

Post by benny- »

Saying that automated events occurred during the era, thus they can occur here is really a stretch. To some extent, yes perhaps there were some automated events, but these were in the form of town invasions and the like, themed events that were random and extremely rare (being held up in Trinsic during the battle against Jonar [sp?] is one of my fondest memories of UO, heh). To say that because there was some automation used for these (such as turning on a monster spawn), or that because some of these events differed from server to server, so we can then do any form of event whatsoever and still be like the era is nothing but ridiculous.

There is nothing in the least era accurate about 3-5 events being run every day, 29 planned and scheduled events a week for years on end in the form of capture the flag, bagball, and other games that have nothing to do with UO.

Seriously, why not add poker machines at this point?

And to those who'd suggest there's nothing wrong with events because they are optional....

The reason why suggestions like these are brought up is because they have an affect on the server in it's entirety, whether you can see it or not. It's obvious that when these are run every few hours every single day, they are going to detract from the game. While it's not true of all players, you will see time and time again players merely killing time between events. Players waiting for the safe and player-friendly form of a ctf to satiate their need for pvp. Or players who refuse to participate in actual field pvp and instead prove their pvp status by only participating in the controlled environment of an automated tourney, where the rules are fair and balanced and to their liking.

This is nothing at all like old school UO, where players were left with only the devices of the game and had to create their own excitement....where risk vs reward was everything and there were no safe and friendly ways to play the game in such a safe and controlled environment.

In the end, events are usually introduced as a way to give players something to do...a way to attract players to play on a server by offering them something different from regular UO. Considering the shard's (great) stance on era accuracy before all else, I don't see why the gameplay needs to be dumbed down here just to accommodate players who want something other than the t2a experience.

Events need to be slowly phased out while an equal effort is made to stimulate activity on the shard, until the entire focus of gameplay here is simply playing the game.
- Elisud

nightmare

Post by nightmare »

Wow make my drags like they were on osi and I will show you pvp when you come and try to gank me while I farm 24/7 which is what I did on osi and I killed tons of pks and had all the pvp I wanted while farming. Us "nerds" as you like to call us played t2a and spent more time actually playing the game than you did and yes we did by and sell these rares that no one ever bought or sold on osi. I would only hop on my pvp char a few times a week to fight in guild wars which was mainly on the weekends. I always looked forward to the new rares that came out on osi and your trying to tell me that I cant have that on this shard because we cant have anything new. Like I said earlier bringing new rares in as time goes by is era accurate and people farming to get their hands on those rares is also era accurate. Whats not era accurate is the pk ratio on this server. I see as many on here as I did on osi and we have way less people playing. So maybe we should look into this as well if your going to be as era accurate as possible. Infact correcting this might bring more players out. I have learned to live with the fact that my tamer is screwed on this server maybe you guys can do the same with the events.

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

Tron wrote:...
also, we did something like this before. we took out just the rewards for events and the participation went to like 5-10 people per event.
haven't been around at that time, but i am not surprised. you may enter events because they are such a great social bonding experience and fun to you, but most peeps are in it for the money. events are just an endless and risk free form of farming for a certain group of players that (to my knowledge) did not exists in era. and of course they have an impact on the shard in it's entirely. trophies are a currency here, goddamnit.

@faust
i do not have a problem with special items given out for special rare quests and events (like turkey hunt, xmas-tickets, scavenger hunt, defeating some nemesis, whatever). but could you point me to a source that something similar to the trophy turn-in system was active on any production shard in era? tyvm.

once again, i am not so much opposed against events, but the associated trophies and the turn-in system is messed up imo.

nightmare

Post by nightmare »

I was thinking about those rares I used to buy and just how much they cost. Back on osi they were worth alot and not as much because they were rare but more because they cold be and were sold for real money on the net. That is another inacurrate part of this server. Dont get me wrong I am glad we cant do that here. . There is no way to make things t2a accurate. We are going with a frozen time in t2a which was Octoberish of 99. That is 1 small part in all of the t2a experience as there were alot of changes throughout the years of t2a that we dont get to take part in on this server. From the beggining to the end of t2a there were alot of things added and taken out. Also I remember setting up guild wars back in the day where we would all meet at say 2pm on Saturday and go fight said guilds at said places. Why not try and do that here? Would solve alot of your pvp problems. Infact thats where some of our biggest rivals came from and those rival fight spilled out into the rest of the week. I remeber these 3 people that we absalutly hated and always fought them whenever we saw them. 1 of whom long story short is now my brother in law :) "Awesome guy in rl". I would love to see that kind of pvp on this server and even with the events this can be done infact probably more so as you can just hook up after the event.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Watatsumi wrote: How many of these items were bought and sold with gold? NONE. They were very rare items and if you got them you held on to them. Bring in the era accurate OSI economy where gold was only worth the regs you could buy with it. The fact is the only people with these items on this shard are the ones that win at the flawed tourney system or the people who farm 24/7.
I bought a bright orange platemail chest piece I forget what the name on it was, on Great Lakes server for 250k,
It was a unique quest item. I think there was a full platemail suit created. 250k was alot of money at the time. Was right around when meditation was introduced.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

LifeForce wrote:...

@blackfoot
i do not have a problem with special items given out for special rare quests and events (like turkey hunt, xmas-tickets, scavenger hunt, defeating some nemesis, whatever). but could you point me to a source that something similar to the trophy turn-in system was active on any production shard in era? tyvm.

Faust

Post by Faust »

BlackFoot wrote:
Watatsumi wrote: How many of these items were bought and sold with gold? NONE. They were very rare items and if you got them you held on to them. Bring in the era accurate OSI economy where gold was only worth the regs you could buy with it. The fact is the only people with these items on this shard are the ones that win at the flawed tourney system or the people who farm 24/7.
I bought a bright orange platemail chest piece I forget what the name on it was, on Great Lakes server for 250k,
It was a unique quest item. I think there was a full platemail suit created. 250k was alot of money at the time. Was right around when meditation was introduced.
/owned, by Blackfoot

Watamambi, can preach his views all he wants but the facts remain that the events here are a policy decision making them unique in nature to this shard just like the several that were unique to the many production shards that existed on OSI. The events are not an era accuracy decision and that has already been confirmed by the staff here. Again, the way the events are handled here definitely should be up for discussion but them not being era accurate isn't at all. The frequency and type of events that happened on each shard were unique in their own way making it an impossible task to replicate. However, that doesn't mean the process like automation didn't exist on production shards when history has proven this argument to be contradicted.

Sorry, son.

Thanks,
Faust

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

LifeForce wrote:
LifeForce wrote:...

@blackfoot
Are you saying if the trophy turn in prizes were awarded directly to the players in one shot directly from the events your ok with it? Instead of how we do it now where you have to participate in many events before getting a prize.
If we we do the orc 300 event for instance and players should get a 1/100 chance at a unique green orc mask instead of a trophy.
So just bypass the trophy part of it and get directly to the items?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

/owned, by Blackfoot x2

:lol:

Hopefully, someday people will come to the realization that policy and mechanical aspect of the game when replicating are two completely different issues. :roll:

One can be replicated and the other cannot due to multiple production shards that existed since policy varied from the different staff on each shard and game mechanics were static for ALL of the shards, simple.
Last edited by Faust on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightmare

Post by nightmare »

Faust wrote:
BlackFoot wrote:
/owned, by Blackfoot

Watamambi, can preach his views all he wants but the facts remain that the events here are a policy decision making them unique in nature to this shard just like the several that were unique to the many production shards that existed on OSI. The events are not an era accuracy decision and that has already been confirmed by the staff here. Again, the way the events are handled here definitely should be up for discussion but them not being era accurate isn't at all. The frequency and type of events that happened on each shard were unique in their own way making it an impossible task to replicate. However, that doesn't mean the process like automation didn't exist on production shards when history has proven this argument to be contradicted.

Sorry, son.

Thanks,
Faust

Very well said!!

benny-

Post by benny- »

Faust wrote:/owned, by Blackfoot x2

:lol:

Hopefully, someday people will come to the realization that policy and mechanical aspect of the game when replicating are two completely different issues. :roll:

One can be replicated and the other cannot due to multiple production shards that existed since policy varied from the different staff on each shard and game mechanics were static for ALL of the shards, simple.
benny- wrote:Saying that automated events occurred during the era, thus they can occur here is really a stretch. To some extent, yes perhaps there were some automated events, but these were in the form of town invasions and the like, themed events that were random and extremely rare (being held up in Trinsic during the battle against Jonar [sp?] is one of my fondest memories of UO, heh). To say that because there was some automation used for these (such as turning on a monster spawn), or that because some of these events differed from server to server, so we can then do any form of event whatsoever and still be like the era is nothing but ridiculous.

There is nothing in the least era accurate about 3-5 events being run every day, 29 planned and scheduled events a week for years on end in the form of capture the flag, bagball, and other games that have nothing to do with UO.

Seriously, why not add poker machines at this point?
I agree with you Faust on a number of issues, but on this you're dead wrong.

Ill say this again......you're trying to say that automated events, totaling 29 a week, held regularly and scheduled 3-5 times a day in the form of bagball and capture the flag can be considered era accurate and shouldn't even be discussed because events differed from server to server on the OSI shards during the era. That is completely idiotic.

Yes you can recite your same replies over and over. Saying that the staff do not enforce policy because policies differed from shard to shard or saying that it's not a mechanical issue therefore its not an issue of accuracy, or the other handful of excuses you use for such issues, but in the end, it's very clear that there is a vast difference between the events of then and now.

In the end, these are events that have nothing to do with the era. If you want to argue that theyre fun and give people something to do, that is a valid argument. One that I dont agree with but it is an argument. But don't try to say that these events are accurate, that is complete and utter nonsense.
- Elisud

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

Faust wrote:/owned, by Blackfoot x2 :lol:

hmm, i do not feel owned at all. but i do start feeling the need to repeat myself. and that usually means a chitchat is entering the vicious circle of internet discussions.

so i will save us some time, sum up our two sides the best i can and we can all agree to disagree, okay?

:wink:
LifeForce wrote: @blackfoot, faust
could you point me to a source that something similar to the trophy turn-in system was active on any production shard in era? tyvm.
both of you ignored this question. but that's okay because we all know there wasn't. the two of you (and others, too) think the event/trophy-system is fine, because this is a "policy" decision that does not change aspects of the original game mechanics. i think to have the stated goal "to (n)ever change any aspect of normal gameplay to particularly favor any playstyle" and bypass this by inventing an automated event system that favors certain playstyles by giving 'em the opportunity to amass a lot of trophies (equals rares equals money) every day is messed up. it simply makes the stated goals look somewhat pointless and shallow. and (personally) i think this is kinda sad, because derrick (and i think we can all agree here again) puts a tremendous amount of effort in this server and does a great job in many aspects.

and as you can also see by many posts in this threads (or the poll here: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14403) other people think (for one reason or another) that there is something wrong with the trophy-system, too.

so maybe (just maybe) there should be more discussion on this.

hope this sums things guys. i'm out. peace.