Era accuracy discussion: Account Limits

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Era accuracy discussion: Account Limits

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Draxus wrote:
Wise wrote:and NO one mentions account abuse, I met and have talked to various players and just my feeling (and understanding how kids 12 - 16 work if there is an exploit exploit it) so I guarantee there are players with 5+ accounts, but derrick doesn't have the time to monitor IP connections and put inquires in as to roomates/siblings etc, which 80% of the time will be a lie anyways....
This isn't possible. Try to create a 4th account yourself, you'll get the message "There is some problem communicating with Origin." even if you log off your other accounts and try.
I remember a thread mabye a month ago, where some guy posted a screenshot of 4 clients macroing random skills and he said something like "Im comin to get you somebody!". Anyway, someone mentioned the 4 accounts, and he edited the picture to only show 3. Probably abuse of the staff allowing "family and roommates" have 3 accounts as well, how do they police who is legitimately using this?

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Creager wrote:What a mess that would be.

I respect the concept, although I don't find it feasible. You would probably have to wipe the server as Senses mentioned.

Especially with skill gains as they are, how much of the old population would you imagine continuing to play here after a server wipe? At least for me, it would be a waste of time to do it all over again, especially with the summer approaching as fast as it is.

In this scenario, the server would have to attract new players to re-populate. This would require extensive planning and effective promotion. Timing would be everything.

Why not just start a whole new server? A carbon copy of this one under a different name, then test the waters' so to speak.
no offence but this is a terrible argument, imagine if you gave it every time some voice advocated some kind or change "just quit and start your own server"

I mean why would I? or anyone else? UOSA is run extremely well, we are not talking about account mergers, or deletions or anything crazy like that,(not anymore after civil discussion) you would get your same 3 accounts you always had you can only log one it at a time, those who are still efficient a macroing characters will still macro characters just as efficiently, it just makes it a little more challenging.

Bottom line is, 1 account per IP IS era accurate

and players like Malice can argue all they want about how every Leet PVPer on OSI used multi clients, all thats saying is your all a bunch of cheaters, how is the argument multi-clienting should be more then allowed because back on OSI you could break the rules of the game (rules they had designed and we aim to follow to replicate era accuracy) and using a illegal 3rd party program to do so, so by the same means since if it was era accurate to cheat back on OSI, its also acceptable for me to bust out my Easy UO now? because it was era accurate to cheat with illigal 3rd party software.

1 account per IP no dontaions for extra, simple no controvery over minor things and its solved. like I said

ERA ACCURATE.

also you can have 4 accounts loged at once and many people do it, and if you have a dynamic IP address or move or use UO on a lap top on a different internet connection you can make as many accoutns as you please, I know this cause derrick gave me shit one time for having like 7 accounts (3 real accounts then I moved and accedently made 3 typo accounts with no characters on them) by randomly typing in my password as user name or something so I know its possible to create more then 4 accounts (I have no idea why you would need too though :/)
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Draxus wrote:
Wise wrote:and NO one mentions account abuse, I met and have talked to various players and just my feeling (and understanding how kids 12 - 16 work if there is an exploit exploit it) so I guarantee there are players with 5+ accounts, but derrick doesn't have the time to monitor IP connections and put inquires in as to roomates/siblings etc, which 80% of the time will be a lie anyways....
This isn't possible. Try to create a 4th account yourself, you'll get the message "There is some problem communicating with Origin." even if you log off your other accounts and try.
It's called having a friend make you accounts. Plenty of people do it I'm sure. You're allowed to create 3 accounts per IP, but you can actually connect with 4 at a time per IP.
Creager wrote: What a mess that would be.

I respect the concept, although I don't find it feasible. You would probably have to wipe the server as Senses mentioned.
There is no reason for a wipe. Shit changes, get over it. When I got here last Spring, people were about to GM magery and resist in town at the same time. Tailors could make oil cloths to 100 skill, making it extremely cheap to GM. People could lock down secures on steps. Farming gold was super easy with broken spawns. Did they fix and reset the server? No, because there is no reason to do this.

I probably abuse the multiple accounts more than anyone else. I have very elaborate razor macros that communicate with each other using Sys Messages and macros which start up other macros. I know how to control 3 UO clients perfectly at the same time without using razor macros (though they make it a lot easier). And I'm also one of the people in full support of this update. I'd love to condense down to 1 account total, which is a step beyond what is being suggested here.

So far there hasn't been 1 solid reason as to why it's not a good idea.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

One reason it's not a good idea is that there are already seemingly so few in the field when people are allowed to macro on two other characters at the same time. Forcing them down to one character is going to result in even fewer people in the field.

Another good reason is that new players are already at a disadvantage. Now, we're going to take away their healer character for macroing up their initial character? Seems like a classic case of the "I've already got mine's."

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

[EDIT]

New players will not join or stick with a shard that takes two full years to get situated on. No way. This applies to most people, I think. After wandering around as a ghost I found at least 50% of houses have no security and I think you'll find at leat 95% of new players could not build provokers and fund a house and a tank mage within a week.

And give extra thought to these next comments:

Many times in life (not just UO), you give people what they think they want and guess what happens....? I have seen this 1 account per IP rule instated on other freeshards, Angel Island for example, and in every case it added no benefit to or had a negative effect on server population.

UOT2A is doing GREAT..... don't mess with a good thing. That's what big businesses do - Home Depot for instance - work their way up from one store into a world leader in their industry, then turn their back on and change everything that got them to that point, then go to shit. <-------- Don't do that.

Other than the above, no, there's absolutely no reason not to limit accounts per IP.
Last edited by EVeee on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

Fwerp wrote:One reason it's not a good idea is that there are already seemingly so few in the field when people are allowed to macro on two other characters at the same time. Forcing them down to one character is going to result in even fewer people in the field.

Another good reason is that new players are already at a disadvantage. Now, we're going to take away their healer character for macroing up their initial character? Seems like a classic case of the "I've already got mine's."

Your retarded, your healer can also be the character your macroing, and people aren't going to decide not to field so they can macro.

New players will not join or stick with a shard that takes two full years to get situated on. No way.
It will not take 2 years to get situated, I can get a provoker up AND I can farm enough gold for a house and a tank mage easily in a week.
Some current players will leave when they have to choose 2 out of 3 of their hard-earned accounts to flush down the toilet.
1 client open per IP, you can still have all your accounts.

I have seen this 1 account per IP rule instated on other freeshards and in every case it added no benefit to or had a negative effect on server population
Name some names, because I have never seen a free shard with this implemented.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

EVeee wrote:New players will not join or stick with a shard that takes two full years to get situated on. No way.

Some current players will leave when they have to choose 2 out of 3 of their hard-earned accounts to flush down the toilet.

Players wont stick to a shard where everything is handed over to them either...

you would still have access to all 3 accounts, just could only log in one at a time

One reason it's not a good idea is that there are already seemingly so few in the field when people are allowed to macro on two other characters at the same time. Forcing them down to one character is going to result in even fewer people in the field.

how does that make any sense? having to afk macroers and 1 7x fighting in the field is the same amount of field fighters as 0 afk macroers and one 7x fighting in the field.

also I will GLADLY VOULDENTEERLY Wipe all my skills to their originals on all my accounts if this was implimented. IT WILL NOT affect the skill gain rate, just because right now you can macro up 3x characters so you can get your PvPer, theif and Mule all macroing at the same time so that 2 weeks in you can have 3x characters, this just makes it so you have to choose which characters you are really dedicated to, you wont see hardly as many PvPers with crafters which is not the case now, I would bet money that almost every leet pvper on the shard ATM has a crafter of some sort, so they can either 1. undercut prices and ruin the economy or 2. farm their own ingots and baords and a 3rd or 4th account use said resources to make their own weapons, armour, kegs, poision etc and then go field fighting....

as I remeber it just wasn't worth it on OSI to do this, it was cheeper to buy what you needed from other players or gun to the britian forges, etc, which is not the case now.... we live in a lonor market where PvPers dont need other players to craft for them, and crafters have to work their asses off to compete with dirt cheep prices from players who have so much money the only thing left to do is well make a crafter.....

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

how does that make any sense? having to afk macroers and 1 7x fighting in the field is the same amount of field fighters as 0 afk macroers and one 7x fighting in the field.
Yeah, obviously, but that misses my clear point, which was that their field character would in fact NOT be in the field as often, because they would be macroing...
Your retarded, your healer can also be the character your macroing, and people aren't going to decide not to field so they can macro.
First off, it's "you're retarded." Secondly, I'm in fact not retarded, and I see no need to resort to ad hominem attacks. It is in fact very hard to macro up a 7x with only one character. As it stands now, a character with veterinary and healing is pretty much required. Moreover, if people were forced to only have one account, you would in fact see people decide to macro rather than field while they complete other characters. This seems obvious enough to me. Do you think people will only make one character or something?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

New players will not join or stick with a shard that takes two full years to get situated on. No way. This applies to most people, I think. After wandering around as a ghost I found at least 50% of houses have no security and I think you'll find at leat 95% of new players could not build provokers and fund a house and a tank mage within a week.
If you write a good enough guide, and they read it they will.

also I will GLADLY VOULDENTEERLY Wipe all my skills
Hell I will to.

Yeah, obviously, but that misses my clear point, which was that their field character would in fact NOT be in the field as often, because they would be macroing...
The point is that people will not be macroing unless there AFK, and when there on they will be fielding, people usually prefer fielding to macroing, and so you will see less macroing and more fielding.

You have the priorities of the players mixed up.
First off, it's "you're retarded." Secondly, I'm in fact not retarded, and I see no need to resort to ad hominem attacks. It is in fact very hard to macro up a 7x with only one character. As it stands now, a character with veterinary and healing is pretty much required. Moreover, if people were forced to only have one account, you would in fact see people decide to macro rather than field while they complete other characters. This seems obvious enough to me. Do you think people will only make one character or something?
First of all thank you for the grammatical correction I'm always trying to improve my grammar.

Ok heres how you can macro a character to 7x with one client.

1. Start with 50 healing 50 resist.

2. Go train anatomy, magery, and meditation.

3. Set a razor macro to cast spells on yourself then heal yourself. ( you want the whole razor code?)

4. Summon daemons while spamming all stop and attacking nearest non friendly and you will have all gm combat skills in a day.

Overall its going to take you about a week thats how long it took me.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

At what point do you drop the 80+ skill points in anatomy and healing?

This is a highly inefficient way to macro up a tank mage, compared with the current method that employs two characters.

Also, I understand players' priorities just fine. I am simply saying that it is a fact that if players tend to make more than one character, and they are allowed to have only one account, you will see fewer characters in the field because they are macroing their alternative characters. Surely, they don't "prefer" macroing, but if they want more than one character, as I think we can all concede is the case, this is the likely outcome.

backdown00

Post by backdown00 »

Fwerp wrote:At what point do you drop the 80+ skill points in anatomy and healing?

This is a highly inefficient way to macro up a tank mage, compared with the current method that employs two characters.

Also, I understand players' priorities just fine. I am simply saying that it is a fact that if players tend to make more than one character, and they are allowed to have only one account, you will see fewer characters in the field because they are macroing their alternative characters. Surely, they don't "prefer" macroing, but if they want more than one character, as I think we can all concede is the case, this is the likely outcome.
To this point, after OSI/EA would make a change in game, you would always see less PVP because people were re-macroing to change up some skills. Macroing has and always will come first. Everyone wants to be done "macroing" so they can play, they look forward to it, but they refuse to play "incomplete" characters.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Fwerp wrote:At what point do you drop the 80+ skill points in anatomy and healing?

You drop it when your gaining combat skills, since you don't need it for that, the daemon wont hurt you, so the only difference is that it takes 16 seconds for a bandage to apply rather than 6, not to bad.

After they make a hally mage, if there a pvper, they will want to play it they can macro their crafter or whatever other alternative they can do so when they sleep.

o this point, after OSI/EA would make a change in game, you would always see less PVP because people were re-macroing to change up some skills. Macroing has and always will come first. Everyone wants to be done "macroing" so they can play, they look forward to it, but they refuse to play "incomplete" characters.
I'm not saying people will be fielding with 60 magery or anything, I'm saying people will finish their tank mages go out and field, when there tired of uo or decide to watch some tv or whatever then they will macro their alternative characters.

I'm saying people aren't going to be like "Oh boy I don't feel like playing my tank mage today because I would rather have my guy macro alchemy all day", people are going to be like "My alchemist has been macroing for ten hours I think he needs to take a power nap while I play my hally mage for a few hours, then maybe later I'll let him continue macroing".

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

aye or just not macro an alchemist at all!

Apok
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Apok »

the only reason i play here is the fact that we can have three accounts each allowing us to have fun with one account well the others macro. We all have lives and takes eons to gm charecters solo. i would not play here. Also the extra Charecter slots allows me to make charecters i would have never played or made in the past. Like a tamer or thief ect..

So when we all started playing here on the front page of the main web page it says " three account limit per ip".

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Apok wrote:the only reason i play here is the fact that we can have three accounts each allowing us to have fun with one account well the others macro. We all have lives and takes eons to gm charecters solo. i would not play here. Also the extra Charecter slots allows me to make charecters i would have never played or made in the past. Like a tamer or thief ect..

So when we all started playing here on the front page of the main web page it says " three account limit per ip".

If it aint broke dont fix it.

I think we already concluded that it is NOT any harder to macro characters with 1 account then it is with 3 just less conveinant.

secondly thats half of what would be prevented everyplayer having 1 of every character (for my argument its crafter characters)

lastly, it is broke, its not era accurate, and there are obvious issues with it the way it is now. so it at least should be looked into if not fixed.