Urk/bloodrock orcs completely inaccurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Do you think bloodrock orc stats should be adjusted to be more era accurate?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:03 am

Yes
45%
Don't care
24%
No
31%

Total votes: 49

Sandro

Re: Urk/bloodrock orcs completely inaccurate

Post by Sandro »

Simple solution.

Reduce the speed back to normal for the custom orcs, and make their normal attack archery, so that speed is irrelevant to their effectiveness.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

tanmits

Post by tanmits »

If this actually caused Urks to not get completely destroyed by the end of every event, I may be on board. But even with the enormous number of chieftains that were spawning around Skara we got our asses handed to us once all the PKs and oranges were dispatched.
S&S Yew: fully stocked bulk reagents, weapons, armor, explosion traps, and fishing spoils. Also, temporarily carrying POTION KEGS!

Charla

Post by Charla »

The Cove invasion is still going on as far as I can tell. the last time I attempted to go there with my miner, she had to recall

fast. Where are the Urks at Cove??? Haven't seen any, just game spawned Bloodrocks???

The problem as far as I see it, is one. The orcs keep respawning, so how can human's win. Most of the people I know who

enjoy this type of even, went to Skara for couple days, killed bloodrocks until they got tired of it, didn't seen any Urks there.

Now they are talking about doing the same thing with Vesper.

Westra

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

tanmits wrote:If this actually caused Urks to not get completely destroyed by the end of every event, I may be on board. But even with the enormous number of chieftains that were spawning around Skara we got our asses handed to us once all the PKs and oranges were dispatched.
Yes and this is exactly why Skara should have been lost.

You go to Urk fort most of the time you hardly see any Urks there, usually there is 0. One person can overtake Urk fort, how is Urk going to hold 3 towns when they can't even hold their fort?

Also Skara is broken, It has not been handled the same way Cove was and because of this guards keep coming back on, healers wont heal while other vendors will sell. If bloodrock really won Skara why aren't the npcs all dead like in Cove? Why do the guards keep coming back on?

Also, why would the 2nd most populated (Skara) and soon to be the 3rd most (Vesper) populated towns lose anyways? Doesn't make any sense at all.

While the poll is just about monster inaccuracies. I do really think that the second part of this staff run event has been handled really poorly. In the future events like this should have clear cut scenarios where a winner is announced after a specific goal is met.

E.g. an RP post with screenshots showing a win or loss of a town. In this case Urk has posted a screenshot so NPCs should be gone and guards should be off starting at server up. Town criers should constantly be yelling things like Cove & Skara is over run by bloodrocks until the towns are taken back with an RP post & screenshots.

How can Lord British stand by while his towns are taken for so many Sosarian days? He woudln' t do this and nothing like this ever happened on OSI. Aside from the completely inaccurate monsters that never existed on OSI. IMHO this second stage of the event is not being handled properly at all.

At the least please fix the inaccurate monsters.

Thanks!
Dren
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

This is more than enough reason to not let this happen to Vesper. We must anhilate them.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Used Kotex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Random thoughts.

Post by Used Kotex »

1) Players might be more interested in "defending" cities if there was Decent Lewt to be had. 120gp from an Orc Lord that kicks like a Balron and moves like an EV ??? *yawn*

2) Urks were part of this?? I saw 0 <Zero, Ziltch, Nada> Player Orcs the 6-8 hours I was in Skara.
I did however, survive 2-3 Red Sweeps. Hooray, at least there was Ganking.

3) Is this whole shard going to be given over to Urks? Should I quit now and avoid the rush like an LA Baseball fan???

I don't mean to just b*tch about the Event, I appreciate the effort that was put into by staff, but I keep asking Why??

I know there were people trying to participate. They were killing Orcs like madmen for hours, getting killed, looted, PK'd and coming back. And what was the payoff? Nothing it seems. The Orcs just kept respawning.. no cool items showed up. No reinforcements from Lard British to end the thing. No statue for Participating. No commemorative Orc Mask. Just a good sized dent in my Reg Pile.

Woot. Allright! I'm Outti! I gotta go defend Vesper!

Not.
Yeah, I'm still in DCT... So's yer sister !

Sandro

Re: Random thoughts.

Post by Sandro »

Used Kotex wrote:1) Players might be more interested in "defending" cities if there was Decent Lewt to be had. 120gp from an Orc Lord that kicks like a Balron and moves like an EV ??? *yawn*

2) Urks were part of this?? I saw 0 <Zero, Ziltch, Nada> Player Orcs the 6-8 hours I was in Skara.
I did however, survive 2-3 Red Sweeps. Hooray, at least there was Ganking.

3) Is this whole shard going to be given over to Urks? Should I quit now and avoid the rush like an LA Baseball fan???

I don't mean to just b*tch about the Event, I appreciate the effort that was put into by staff, but I keep asking Why??

I know there were people trying to participate. They were killing Orcs like madmen for hours, getting killed, looted, PK'd and coming back. And what was the payoff? Nothing it seems. The Orcs just kept respawning.. no cool items showed up. No reinforcements from Lard British to end the thing. No statue for Participating. No commemorative Orc Mask. Just a good sized dent in my Reg Pile.

Woot. Allright! I'm Outti! I gotta go defend Vesper!

Not.
Well said.

Every post I've seen so far on these boards shows little to no motivation to attend these invasions. Doesn't seem like the payoff is quite enough to make it worth the time/risk.

And I am still confused as to why the largest guild on the server needs automated, custom spawn, to back them in a town siege.. Isn't that suppose to be Bloodrock's speciality, massive numbers, aka "the Hoard" ?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

The payoff is the event itself. If you're a bean-counter, or some kind of robot economist, stick to elder gazers during the event and make more gp's.

As for the custom spawn... given that there's more non-bloodrock than bloodrock players, and they actively hamper their ability to fight, it stands to reason that they'd need some help with numbers in an event where they comprise one team, and "everyone else" is the other team.

Lastly... I agree, juicing up the stats on monsters does not make for a good event in and of itself. But I see an awful lot of complaining, and not a lot of ideas/suggestions being put forth. I guess I can count "MOAR GLD PLS" as a suggestion, which would help get more folks out to the event. But beyond that, I don't really see any positive coming out of these threads.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

I'm not going to comment on the fact that we don't sit in Skara and Cove 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The whole concept is completely absurd.

As for rewards. If you phat loot and l33t rewards, you should ignore the Bloodrock oriented seer events and focus on joining the IDOC drops, the scavenger hunts, and the noob item give aways.

Any event/concept I pitch won't include trammel masks and other gifts to bribe people into attending. If you want to do attend, do it because its fun to do so. If its not fun to do so, they don't attend. If you don't want your city conquered and shut down...I guess thats a pretty good reason to show up. If you didn't show up to defend skara because there was no loot offered, then you have no place to complain.

Sandro:
The spawn in Skara was meant to focus the battle at and around the docks. Except for a few that were lured, the docks had only playing orcs...no spawn. Attached is the rough plan I had submitted for spawns. I had made it very clear I didn't want massive spawns all around as it takes from the fun.

In the the next Vesper raid, the spawn should be light and only exist to symbolize 'which islands we've taken over'. In addition, there may be heavy spawn popping up around hordes of dragons to keep them in check. The reason here is to keep the event fun for everyone. Insta death for orc or human due to era inaccurate quantities of dragons would be boring for everyone and the overall goal of the events is to provide entertainment.
Attachments
616520-skara_1__super.gif
616520-skara_1__super.gif (135.31 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Ronk wrote:Insta death for orc or human due to era inaccurate quantities of dragons would be boring for everyone and the overall goal of the events is to provide entertainment.
I don't see how its NEA to own multiple pets, looks like that's just your pitch to get spawn added.

I actually offered a better solution to the "pet hoards" a while ago but didn't seem to get anywhere.. Raise the damage done by spawn (event spawn only) to anything 'tamed' or 'hired' to 200% and leave damage to players at the normal 100%. This will put more focus on tamers keeping their animals alive while not having the staff dump orcs on them every 10 seconds.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

There is nothing Era-Inaccurate about this event and I thank the Urks and staff for putting on this large scale event. I think its great.

However, I do think the speed needs to be set to normal on the orcs. It works fine being sped up at the Urk Fort with a handful of them, but in the towns it gets to be a bit overwhelming for those without uber pings. Yeah, that's me, terrible ping.

So, personally, I have not attended these events as the speed of the Orcs coupled with my poor ping makes it a foolish endeavor. I have never had any issues at the Urk Fort, as the numbers are balanced out with the speed. In the town invasion, though, I think that "balance" has been skewed.

Anywho, regardless of anything, I think this event is a great thing and I thank everyone involved for doing this. Its things like this that make playing here fun. Wish my ping were better!

Again, there is nothing Era-Inaccurate about this event, so we can get off that topic....

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I get that the event itself is the payoff, but there's no meat to it. No matter how many orcs we kill, the towns remain the same.
We've swept Cove 100 times since it was taken over and, as has been said, NPC spawn is all that remains.

At least consider having some real Urks in the 'overthrown' cities from time to time, it really couldn't hurt.
If you've 'taken over' then I wouldn't be opposed to having a temporary 'residence' provided for Urks in whatever town was in question.
Yes, that's going pretty far, but perhaps would keep the player interaction high.

There is absolutely no point in trying to 'save' Skara or Cove at this point. Much like trying to save a dungeon from monsters.
If there's going to be uber-spawn on dragons in Vesper, the event will be over in a blink and we'll have another monster spawn town to avoid for sheer lack of any benefit or purpose.

Something like "kill every NPC orc in the town, and one or more high level NPC orcs and/or real Urks, then seize a 'sigil' or some shit, to reclaim the town and bring the guards back"

If there is no option for closure or any real goal in sight then it's not really an event, just a modification of monster spawn and guard zones.
I don't need gold/loot incentive, I need the possibility of a victory as incentive. As it has functioned, who is killing or being killed has no relevance and no one has any idea what to do other than kill orcs and Urks (which amounts to nothing but lost/spent resources with next to nil return) despite the fun of the fight.

Perhaps I'm being impatient and just need to wait for this to unfold more, but it's starting to crumple because it's been a basic lose/lose for everyone but Urk and PKs who come in to trash on people trying to RP the event.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun fighting the Urks, but either something is entirely missing, or I'm missing it entirely.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Sandro wrote:
Ronk wrote:Insta death for orc or human due to era inaccurate quantities of dragons would be boring for everyone and the overall goal of the events is to provide entertainment.
I don't see how its NEA to own multiple pets, looks like that's just your pitch to get spawn added.

I actually offered a better solution to the "pet hoards" a while ago but didn't seem to get anywhere.. Raise the damage done by spawn (event spawn only) to anything 'tamed' or 'hired' to 200% and leave damage to players at the normal 100%. This will put more focus on tamers keeping their animals alive while not having the staff dump orcs on them every 10 seconds.
Well, I played UO prior to T2A, through T2A, and into early UO:R on the Great Lakes shard. I never saw hordes of dragons like I do here. But this isn't really the place to discuss it as it'd just derail so I won't get into that.

As for your idea...sounds perfect to me. I am really indifferent. I didn't design the spawn, I didn't design their stats, etc. It is a nice touch that they won't attack us though because it lets them exist in events without attacking us (though in skara we had so many unguilded new orcs we had to deal with the spawn as well when they wandered by).

Lightshade,
I disagree about the era accurate comment. As has been mentioned many times, there were cities that collapsed and had no guards and npc spawns. On greatlakes, it was undead.

Of course...I do agree it wasn't a "guild" who lead this. THough there were certainly guilds participated on both sides. In addition the undead spawn would still attack undead players. But even if you talk about seer quests tailored to specific guilds, they also existed. The 'gold one' seer quest was tailored around the "Order of the Gold Ones" guild.

On the topic of spawns, I can see how their speed and such could be problematic. I wouldn't be opposed if derrick tweaked them (not that my opinion on the matter even matters).
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

And like TheBreadman and others have brought up...

Let the players be able to affect some change on things, let them beat them down. If they kill off 1000 orcs, let the spawn start dying off as the tide is turned.

When everyone leaves, let it slowly start building back up again...as you know Orcs are sneaky creatures and will return as soon as you turn your back!

:P

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

BlaiseDad wrote:I get that the event itself is the payoff, but there's no meat to it. No matter how many orcs we kill, the towns remain the same.
We've swept Cove 100 times since it was taken over and, as has been said, NPC spawn is all that remains.

At least consider having some real Urks in the 'overthrown' cities from time to time, it really couldn't hurt.
If you've 'taken over' then I wouldn't be opposed to having a temporary 'residence' provided for Urks in whatever town was in question.
Yes, that's going pretty far, but perhaps would keep the player interaction high.
THe idea wasn't that we would take a city and have to defend it forever. The idea was that there was an event, if the city was failed to be defended it gained our garrison (the spawn), and we moved on.

On that note, we have been back to skara and cove on occasion. The majority of the time we swing by no one is there, so we head out to other hot spots.

Also, in regards to your logic. No matter how many order guards we kill the crossroad still spawns them. No matter how many NPC's we kill in towns they keep coming back. Not to mention the immortal 1hit kill guards (which are far more powerful than the NPC spawn we have). But, obviously, its silly to compare these things.
BlaiseDad wrote: There is absolutely no point in trying to 'save' Skara or Cove at this point.

If there's going to be uber-spawn on dragons in Vesper, the event will be over in a blink and we'll have another monster spawn town to avoid for sheer lack of any benefit or purpose.
There WAS a point. The human side failed. End of story. If you want to save Skara at this point, you'll probably have to beat us back, stop our expansion, and then take the fight to us. Not expect to log in at 4am in the morning and claim "hey, no orcs, we win the city".

As for the dragon spawn thing, are you suggesting you need hordes of dragons to defeat us? I suppose we ccould both just bring dragon turrets and every event can have 300 dragons between all parties involved...im sure that'd be a lot of fun. The goal is fun.

BlaiseDad wrote:then seize a 'sigil' or some shit, to reclaim the town and bring the guards back"
Siezing sigils would imply that cities have to be defended 24/7. I believe thats the faction system and this shard has no where near the population needed to make something like that work. This is a seer quest, not a scripted event.
BlaiseDad wrote: If there is no option for closure or any real goal in sight then it's not really an event, just a modification of monster spawn and guard zones.
I don't need gold/loot incentive, I need the possibility of a victory as incentive. As it has functioned, who is killing or being killed has no relevance and no one has any idea what to do other than kill orcs and Urks (which amounts to nothing but lost/spent resources with next to nil return) despite the fun of the fight.
As ive said on countless occasions.
Cove has very little chance for the urks to lose. It was a small, surprise attack, to kick off the concept that something was going on.

Skara had shard announcements and it was fully possible for us to lose. It wasn't really expected since the humans are never organized but it was certainly possible.

And now with the upcoming vesper, there are very clear win/lose rules. In addition, its given most people nearly a weeks notice on what day it is for them to organize, prepare, etc....so it will def be very stacked against urk.

I can guarantee you, any event/story I take part in is not a scripted outcome. I am not a story teller and I don't want to write books. What I can do is set up the pieces and see how things play out. Come sunday, vesper may fall and be owned by the orcs...at which point we'll plan for another city...or we may get our asses handed to us, giving the humans the momentum. There are expectations on what the outcome will be, but nowhere is it set in stone nor are the GM's going to push for one outcome or another.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock