Restricting Ridable Llamas and Ostards to T2A.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Restricting Ridable Llamas and Ostards to T2A.

Post by Faust »

If there is hard evidence on a topic it will more than likely be implemented. Most mechanics are typically not that hard to prove or disprove for this. The t2a era was full of inconvenient tasks. I dislike many of these tasks myself, but I would not sacrifice my "precious" inconvencience for this shard to be less accurate.

I'm sorry if you don't like the way particular mechanics worked during the era, but if you allow one than this only validates someone elses personal feelings towards a seperate but similar possible mechanic. For example, the new menus for crafting is MUCH more convenient than the older menus. So if we allow one convenient method for you or anyone else. Why should we not allow it for John over there that loves the new UOR menus? How about Sampson in the corner over there that wants beetles, kirins, and unicorns? After all it is simply a mount with graphical differences isn't it? Bubba or Leeroy may love the AOS damage notifications above someone's head when they are damage or healed. This is simply nothing more than another graphical display. Why not add it this too since we added function A for person A in the past?

You have to understand that there are thousands of people that have their own personal opinion. If you start allowing even one inaccurate feature to please someone elses convenience you are opening the door for a crap load of trouble for the future. A line has to be drawn on an era accurate shard. If you don't stick to this line it won't be what you claim it to be. It can't be anymore simpler than that.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Faust wrote: You have to understand that there are thousands of people that have their own personal opinion. If you start allowing even one inaccurate feature to please someone elses convenience you are opening the door for a crap load of trouble for the future. A line has to be drawn on an era accurate shard. If you don't stick to this line it won't be what you claim it to be. It can't be anymore simpler than that.
Exactly. Ive seen this happen. On the previous shard I was one (and I love the staff and concept) I saw one 'cool' thing get added after another. Dragon breeding with genetics, special craft items, poisoned arrows, etc, etc. The more that got discussed and added the further it got from being the 'pre-uor' that was advertised.

To make matters worse. Everyone had their own opinion and they'd bicker for hours/days on the forums about this idea or that idea or why this or that should be added...and it got fairly nasty.

But I certainly see what is meant by minor things. For example, in T2A a red couldnt' be in a chaos guild. This made things super difficult on RP guilds like the Bloodrock who wanted Chaos for the wars but had to properly interact with 'blues' in ways that didn't involve killing them and getting booted out of our guild. Currently, on this shard you can be chaos and red...its nice, it doesn't really hurt anyone...and I hope it doesn't ever get 'fixed'. I think T2A mounts fall under the same category...unless someone really feels the 'market' in bugged mounts would be profitable (I don't)
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i agree with faust
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Iego

Post by Iego »

There's an essential incongruity in re-implementing solutions to problems that don't exist any more.

If everyone had the t2a client in era there would not have been a restriction on moving pets between areas.

platy

Post by platy »

On this note, wasn't there only a certain number of times you could cross the moonglow teleporter?
"Thy spirit lacks cohesion to travel at this time"
was the message you got or something?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:On this note, wasn't there only a certain number of times you could cross the moonglow teleporter?
"Thy spirit lacks cohesion to travel at this time"
was the message you got or something?
Oh man, I forgot about that one. I found this on UOGuide:
Sometimes a moongate will not function and a player will see the system message, "Your spirit lacks cohesion." This is because of a "cohesion" timer. There is a flat minimum to how quickly a character can go through a moongate again. That minimum increases for each time a character passes through a moongate within a certain span of time. By waiting approximately thirty seconds, the minimum returns to the initial value.
I can't remember if this was something that was introduced in era or was always there, and also don't remember if it applied to the moonglow teleporter.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Derrick wrote: I can't remember if this was something that was introduced in era or was always there, and also don't remember if it applied to the moonglow teleporter.
I can't answer this for sure but this may shed some light.

The 'Black Hole' dupe bug. Basically, you would get an item or a million gold check on your character and hang around until you are sure the game saved. Then you would give the check/item to a trusted friend. Next, you would open a moongate and travel back and forth through it as fast as possible (this had to cross a server line). I believe after doing it a whole bunch of times you Alt-F4 and it corrupts your character. At this point you can't log back in until server maintenance but when you did it restored a previous version of your character and 'reverted' to a time when you had the check.

I never did this bug as I found out about it after it was fixed but I did have a 'friend' who gave me three million gold and later explained the bug to me once he got banned. My point is, this bug may have been a reason for the cohesion thing.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ahh, likely a good bet.
This bug was initially used a lot at the MG/Papua teleporter so it's likely that it did indeed apply there as well

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I believe this is what you are looking for Derrick:

Temporary Change to Gates Sep 9 1999 9:13AM CST
  • After going through a gate cast by a player, there will be a random delay of 3 to 10 seconds before you can go though that gate again, or through any other gate.
  • Note that this change is temporary. We will update you again once it is changed back.
This was reverted some time during UOR, although I don't have the information about exactly what patch removed it.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

platy

Post by platy »

I spent almost all my time in Moonglow and pretty sure the cohesion problem I experienced was at the teleporter.. Didn't even realize it worked by passing thru gates TBH I thought it was only a Glow/Pap tele thing

alatar

Post by alatar »

Didn't read this whole thread. The "bug" as being described here was really a simple mechanic abuse. All you had to do was goto Moonglow, in the back mage shop. Bring the pet you wanted to cross-over to the Papua teleporter. You would then "recsu" over and use the "Help im stuck" option. Choose your town, then "recdu" back over, and mount. Simple as that. Bug, not really, just a simple mechanic overlook.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

alatar wrote:Didn't read this whole thread. The "bug" as being described here was really a simple mechanic abuse. All you had to do was goto Moonglow, in the back mage shop. Bring the pet you wanted to cross-over to the Papua teleporter. You would then "recsu" over and use the "Help im stuck" option. Choose your town, then "recdu" back over, and mount. Simple as that. Bug, not really, just a simple mechanic overlook.
Brilliant :-p
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Faust

Post by Faust »

I don't believe the help stuck menu teleportation system existed during that time. However, regardless of the situation this could be a usable bug on here to get it over. This would explain another way to get it over if it did exist though. I'm not sure if this approach would work for a white wyrm though.

I'm still not convinced that the caves worked for this bug. The reason for this logic is because some of those screenshots that I have has the same sign outside of them similar to the moonglow teleporter. Green acres and the possible stuck menu teleportation system makes more sense though.

Here is the situation so far.

1. Green acres will not be a possible route.
2. The stuck menu teleportation system would be a possible route.
3. The event system would be a possible route.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Uh, you can just walk out of Ice Dungeon with the tamed White Wyrm.. I must be overlooking something here.. This one seems quite obvious..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Alatar,

No t2a creatures were permissable to go to the old lands. This also includes white wyrms. People without the t2a cd would see/hear invisible NPC's if it happened. This included people riding invisible mounts. When a tamer would fight an enemy guild, pk, or flagged individual with a white wyrm someone without the installed t2a files wouldn't know it until it was already on top and hitting them. This was one of the reasons NOTHING was allowed to go through t2a entrances and portals. The ice dungeon wouldn't let you simply "walk" a white wyrm outside of it. It had the same sign as the moonglow teleporter did stating that creatures could not survive the journey.