Will desync ever be fixed?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
rouss

Re: Will desync ever be fixed?

Post by rouss »

might as well be an issue of razor
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Ganondorf

Re: Will desync ever be fixed?

Post by Ganondorf »

Psilo wrote:
Ganondorf wrote:Before blaming the server then you should do a nice ping to check for packet loss first, and get that fixed, then check again. High ping will also be bad but in that case you can't even run properly. You shouldn't even be running with packet loss and the server should deny walking and resynch automatically, i remember it happening on osi if i had packet loss issues.

Now i suppose the loginserver is on the same server or at least on the same network as the game server, so try this command in the command prompt:

Code: Select all

ping login.uosecondage.com -n 50
Good packet loss should be 0%. I read sometimes on the web that low packet loss ratios are acceptable, they aren't for this game. When everything is working and normal, packet loss should be 0. Wifi is bad for gaming in general, don't use that for any online game.

I've read about battleping a few months ago but never used it, it might help if you have internet routing issues. I'll try it out in the coming days and see if it helps. Might be an idea, i'll let you know if it's useful.

I'm newbie as far as networking and connetion issues. How do I test my ping to UOSA and check for packetloss?

Does having my ping spike at times mean packetloss?

For instance whenever I type - ping sometimes it says 100 avg, then typing it 2 seconds later it will be 140 and then sometimes 200. With that I can see an obvious "spike" and in a confined dueling arena this puts me at a huge disadvantage(tournaments and any enclosed area).

I need to find out if I'm having packetloss. I can run fine it's just these occasional spikes that are costing me, they are more noticeable obviously when pvping. And if I am having packetloss how can I remedy this issue?
If nothing is using up your bandwitdth, those spikes are a sign of a low quality connection that might indeed occasionally have packet loss. If you have dsl, you should check the quality of the line and eventualli contact your ISP about it, sometimes reducing the bandwitdh works. Or your line needs to get repaired, or your dsl filter is bad.

You can increase the number of pings from 50 to 500 for example, then look back a few hours later to see if there's packet loss.