Bolas?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Bolas?

Post by tekai »

Right, bola's were introduced with green trial orc masks, trammel stones (that didnt work), and a number of other teasers 3 months after our cut off, 1 or 2 months before trammel.

close though.
[broken image]

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Besides, bolas are pointless without necromancy. How would I grief townsfolk?

Well, grief them insanely easy that is.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, bolas and orcish kin masks (as well as tribal paint) were part of the spawns added with UO3D and Ilshenar. This 12/4/2001 stratics archive talks about bola balls, orcish kin masks, and savage paint. The 10/19/2001 archive of the stratics hunter's guide has savages labeled as UO3D creatures, and this article from OSI talks about the functions of the new orcish kin masks and tribal paint (at least one of which only drops off of savages, which are a UO3D addition). This all points to the fact that all of these items were added with the introduction of UO3D in early 2001 (wikipedia says March 2001).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

CrimsonBinome

Post by CrimsonBinome »

I want bola balls :( I understand the need to stay era accurate but man, it was an awesome tool for individuals who wanted to fight on foot.

Poor orcs.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

isn't there a server birth rare that's bola balls or something like it?
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I think the single cannonball is the same as a bola, not positive.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Derrick wrote:I think the single cannonball is the same as a bola, not positive.
It's the same graphic, but a slightly different hue.

I thought there was something called "a bola" which was a heck of a lot smaller than the bola balls. Looked like it hangs on the wall. I've been wrong before of course. 8)
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I found this, but is a very late graphic, found between ninja mask and arcane robe in the artwork.
Attachments
bolas.jpg
bolas.jpg (624 Bytes) Viewed 1909 times
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Under risk of sounding like a total noob...and since I didn't play much after t2a, I have to ask; what the fudge do these bolas you people speak of do?
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Not a silly question at all. I wouldn't have had any idea either.
They knock you off your horse i believe; introduced in late UO:R?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Ty for the quick response.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Seems like it was the early/middle of UO:R, I remember being really excited when these came out. You basically toss it, it has like a 2 second delay where you character emotes something like "yourname begins swinging the bola around.." and then it hits the target tossing them off their mount, and they can't get back on for like a few seconds. The only catch, is that you had to be on foot to throw them.

Tamers used to hop off their mares, toss them and tell the mare to kill while casting spells or whatever. It was cheap lol.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I thought the graphic was added at the end of T2A as orc loot but they were unusable?

/I want the new crafting gumps while we're at it. :P
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Bolas + no aggressor recall was pretty awesome. A great way to kill GM runners. I liked using bolas with war horses in factions also. War horses were so OP.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Derrick, you could add these as an event only type thing, like they did on osi.

This thing just started out as a In game GM event with the town invasions. They were added to the game from "new orc" spawns that came in later.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson