Pvp suggestion

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Pvp suggestion

Post by BlackFoot »

I think you are also overestimating the number of pvpers on this 't2a' server (not a pvp server).
hundreds of players are logged on right now, how many do you actually think are pvpers?

You are projecting your expectations of what the game should be all about onto other people.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

BlackFoot wrote:I think you are also overestimating the number of pvpers on this 't2a' server (not a pvp server).
hundreds of players are logged on right now, how many do you actually think are pvpers?

You are projecting your expectations of what the game should be all about onto other people.

i know this wasnt directed towards me blackfoot, but im just taking the opportunity to clarify something.

I am not trying to encourage NON-PvPers to get out in the field and fight. i realize there is alot more to UO then PVP, and i would never want to take away from that. it is part of what makes this game amazing.

but scripted events, which take place OUTSIDE of the playable UO world, are just simply not accurate, and to be honest, completely agained the spirit of t2a. If people want to have events, i have no problem with that because they obviously drive player interaction. But when a player, or a guild (not a script) hosted an event on OSI, there were certain factors that had to be considered.

PVP events were usually hosted on the roof of someones tower. reason being is crowd control, the ability to ban/eject people. PK guilds would often try to grief these events by disregarding any rules laid out by the event master (perfectly legal and accurate mechanic of the t2a era). This cannot be done here due to PVP events being hosted in a restricted and controlled area that disregards many of the games mechanics. this kind of player activity may seem "annoying" to some of you tournament goers, but it is accurate to the era, and this shard should not favor one play style over another.

PVM events that were hosted by guilds often had issues with gank squad PK guilds griefing their dungeon crawls. This was a factor in contributing to the thrill of the hunt when dungeon crawling. think about it, when u were in a dungeon with your guild/friends during t2a, were u ever really that nervous about getting killed by a mob? hell no. you were worried about the train of red players that was about to run around the corner. On here when GMs host events in dungeons, some of these dynamics are ignored and disregarded. i was reading a thread the other day where a guy was PKed during a dungeon crawl event, and a GM actually moved his corpse for him out of harms way. what the hell is that all about? never would have happened on OSI.

so i guess to summarize, i am not againsed events. i am againsed scripted and automated events that ignore the true rules of the game, and the spirit of t2a.
Last edited by ClowN on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

BlackFoot wrote:I think you are also overestimating the number of pvpers on this 't2a' server (not a pvp server).

There was no trammel in t2a for a reason. UO pvp was for excitement of fielding. This server has killed it completely with tournaments. I bet if there was 100% removal of events, and not just minimizing the amount, but 100% remove, and give it more than 1 week. You'd see a growth on the field like it use to be. If there is no pvp in tournaments... you'll want to find it elsewhere. Plain and simple. Sounds like the only thing that matters is "population". The cheesy events bring more ppl to this server. Hazzah?

I don't even know why you voicing your opinion. Last time I was guilded with you... you were never seen on the field joining us, yet you were sitting at the tournament stone everyday. :roll:

I'm simply saying the pvp isn't accurate, because you got custom tournaments killing field pvp.

Most the people who play never even played t2a, yet alone were old enough to experience it. I'm done arguing it, atleast 1 person gets it.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Trinsic undead invasion was automated. I hate when people pretend that OSI didn't have any automated events when that is simply not true. The events here are a policy issue not mechanical accuracy. If you want to discuss the nature of these events that is a totally different argument that can be made. For example, the events that take place in their own little 'instance' world is definitely something to argue about in my opinion. If the events were intigrated into the actual world in a manner that works it would be much better for everyone.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

Faust wrote:Trinsic undead invasion was automated. I hate when people pretend that OSI didn't have any automated events when that is simply not true. The events here are a policy issue not mechanical accuracy. If you want to discuss the nature of these events that is a totally different argument that can be made. For example, the events that take place in their own little 'instance' world is definitely something to argue about in my opinion. If the events were intigrated into the actual world in a manner that works it would be much better for everyone.
Siege events were accurate. Lame pvp events no.

http://opp.iwarp.com/archives.htm

^^ example of how it was aka fun.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Marcus_ wrote:I don't even know why you voicing your opinion.
Constructive arguements/debates come from a collection of minds, not just one.

As far as being guilded with you.. I dont know who you are....if we were guilded in UoH you shoudlnt be surprised to find me not pvping...

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

BlackFoot wrote:
Marcus_ wrote:I don't even know why you voicing your opinion.
Constructive arguements/debates come from a collection of minds, not just one.

As far as being guilded with you.. I dont know who you are....if we were guilded in UoH you shoudlnt be surprised to find me not pvping...
You were in Canada with Rias the last time I played. I haven't played in a year, because pvp sucked, and it seems to still suck.
Last edited by Marcaeus on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

Faust wrote:Trinsic undead invasion was automated. I hate when people pretend that OSI didn't have any automated events when that is simply not true. The events here are a policy issue not mechanical accuracy. If you want to discuss the nature of these events that is a totally different argument that can be made. For example, the events that take place in their own little 'instance' world is definitely something to argue about in my opinion. If the events were intigrated into the actual world in a manner that works it would be much better for everyone.

i agree 100% that removing the "instance" element from events is a step in the right direction. so long as that when they are moved into the playable UO world, they abide by the exact same mechanics the rest of the game does. that means not limiting skills that can be used under any circumstance. the ability to kill people at will, even if it means getting kicked out of the tournament. the ability to steal from other players etc.

the scripted events here now are just trammel, with a little taste of controlled and limited pvp.

EDIT: just one last piece of clarification on my argument. i am not saying that stealing or any of these other skills should be allowed in tournaments per the rules of the tournament. but if i want to enter your tournament and just disregard your rules of combat, and steal something, or kill a spectator, i should be allowed to do so per the mechanics of the game.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

ClowN wrote: i was reading a thread the other day where a guy was PKed during a dungeon crawl event, and a GM actually moved his corpse for him out of harms way. what the hell is that all about? never would have happened on OSI.

so i guess to summarize, i am not againsed events. i am againsed scripted and automated events that ignore the true rules of the game, and the spirit of t2a.
Whoever told you that or wrote in a thread that a gm moved a corpse is not being honest. Administration on UOSA wont interfere in game play like that ever.

I try and run as many events as I can all taking place in the 'real' t2a world. They are large spawn assisted interesting pvm/story line events. They are heavily advertised, consistent with dates/times and have dozens and dozens of players every time. 'PvPers' never show up.
I hold by far the most pvp events of anyone in the 'real' t2a world. Pvpers dont show up.

In the 'trammy' events (1v1, 2v2 tourys etc) the same 15 'pvpers' show up every time.
Are these the 15-20 players we are all talking about?

I fully agree and support the concept of in game player ran events over automated events, as can be seen by my actions not by what I say. However, removing these automated events will not accomplish what you think. Those of us who have been around a long time have lived through it already.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

The convo in mIRC right now seems to be about exactly what I posted... odd.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

this conversation happens in irc daily. Between a whole bunch of pro trammel event 'pvpers' and a whole bunch of anti-trammel event 'pvpers' all who arent pvping.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

t2a had no trammel, nor custom pvp events. I don't see what is so hard to understand. Pvm GM events are cool, and happened once in a great while, but custom pvp events kill the "real pvp". What's this WoW arenas? :roll:

Faust

Post by Faust »

Marcus_ wrote: Siege events were accurate. Lame pvp events no.

Since you were too lazy to search yourself and require the aid of someone else to do it for you, here...

Faust wrote:Server events are a policy decision, not era accuracy as stated several times in the past here. The events that happened on production shards varied from one server to the next making it impossible to actually replicate unlike game mechanics that existed globally on each shard(excluding seige perilous). Also, the argument about "automative" events is invalid since events such as the Trinsic invasion was completely automative itself. The rewards in itself falls into the same category.

Please review some of the "unique rares" or "rewards" that were a part of the Catskills shard here.

UO Second Age is just another shard that is aiming to replicate the same game mechanics that existed in '99 with its own policy decisions no differently than each shard that existed back then.

We are not aiming to replicate one particular shard by social engineering each aspect of that shard. This task in fact would actually be physically impossible unless you have some blue prints for a time machine.
We are not UO Second Age: <insert shard here>.

Again, if you want to discuss the policy making and make a suggestion to better enhance it such as intigrating the events into the real world be my guest... I think something like this should definitely be discussed so that the proper corrections can be made. However, trying to argue 'era accuracy' isn't a valid argument for this and people should refrain from such deviations that only end up ruining the topic.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

Faust wrote:
Marcus_ wrote: Siege events were accurate. Lame pvp events no.

Since you were too lazy to search yourself and require the aid of someone else to do it for you, here...

Faust wrote:Server events are a policy decision, not era accuracy as stated several times in the past here. The events that happened on production shards varied from one server to the next making it impossible to actually replicate unlike game mechanics that existed globally on each shard(excluding seige perilous). Also, the argument about "automative" events is invalid since events such as the Trinsic invasion was completely automative itself. The rewards in itself falls into the same category.

Please review some of the "unique rares" or "rewards" that were a part of the Catskills shard here.

UO Second Age is just another shard that is aiming to replicate the same game mechanics that existed in '99 with its own policy decisions no differently than each shard that existed back then.

We are not aiming to replicate one particular shard by social engineering each aspect of that shard. This task in fact would actually be physically impossible unless you have some blue prints for a time machine.
We are not UO Second Age: <insert shard here>.

Again, if you want to discuss the policy making and make a suggestion to better enhance it such as intigrating the events into the real world be my guest... I think something like this should definitely be discussed so that the proper corrections can be made. However, trying to argue 'era accuracy' isn't a valid argument for this and people should refrain from such deviations that only end up ruining the topic.
Wtf does any of that have to do with what I said? There was simply no pvp/tournament custom events on any friggin uo osi t2a server, period.

Each server had different player towns, GM events, pvm sieges, rewards, whatever, but when you wanted to fight other players you went out of town, or warred in town. Period.

There is no population doing that, because they just log in when tournaments start.
Last edited by Marcaeus on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

this is basically a "pvp sucks here and i won't play until it is the way i want it" thread :?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w