Server Save Message - Does this matter?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Server Save Message - Does this matter?

Post by Derrick »

nightshark wrote:I think the whole server saving thing only happened in the pre t2a days. I was a regular at server wars on Wakoku in '99 since it was during my peak hours and I never recall any pause in gameplay or message saying the server saved, it was always semi guesswork based on "the server will be going down shortly" (the messages were not 100% reliable) and sometimes you could log on after server up and find yourself dead at brit GY
This is my recollection as well, and I'm not doubting that the message existed at some time, or somewhere, but I can personally attest to it not appearing on Chessie in 1999. We played until server down almost every night (morning), and it took us a long time to determine at what time it was safe to so drop houses and try different placements. Also, on chessie at least, it was at least a hour or more of revert nightly; not just minutes, although I'm not disputing that may have been the case on other shards.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Derrick wrote:This is my recollection as well, and I'm not doubting that the message existed at some time, or somewhere, but I can personally attest to it not appearing on Chessie in 1999. We played until server down almost every night (morning), and it took us a long time to determine at what time it was safe to so drop houses and try different placements. Also, on chessie at least, it was at least a hour or more of revert nightly; not just minutes, although I'm not disputing that may have been the case on other shards.
I agree server war could last for up to an hour. It seemed really random on Wakoku and Oceania, sometimes it was upwards of an hour, sometimes it lasted only a few minutes.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

Derrick wrote:
nightshark wrote:I think the whole server saving thing only happened in the pre t2a days. I was a regular at server wars on Wakoku in '99 since it was during my peak hours and I never recall any pause in gameplay or message saying the server saved, it was always semi guesswork based on "the server will be going down shortly" (the messages were not 100% reliable) and sometimes you could log on after server up and find yourself dead at brit GY
This is my recollection as well, and I'm not doubting that the message existed at some time, or somewhere, but I can personally attest to it not appearing on Chessie in 1999. We played until server down almost every night (morning), and it took us a long time to determine at what time it was safe to so drop houses and try different placements. Also, on chessie at least, it was at least a hour or more of revert nightly; not just minutes, although I'm not disputing that may have been the case on other shards.

Of course different servers but this was experience on Atlantic for me at least. But it is however you see fit, trying to help out some
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

If the save message was ever there, it was definately removed well before late 1999. Server down duping was rampant, leaving in a "saving now" message would basically have been a "commence duping now" message.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Generic Player wrote:If the save message was ever there, it was definately removed well before late 1999. Server down duping was rampant, leaving in a "saving now" message would basically have been a "commence duping now" message.

Un-true this problem was corrected when servers became more capable and server boundaries were eliminated in early 98 thus no more duping in that sense. I have patch notes on this.

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

No it was not, I didn't even know about it until mid-1999, and it worked fine then. And server boundaries were not eliminated in 1998, they were still around in 2000 when I quit.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Server-lines, as I called them, were definitely around after 1998, I didn't start playing until mid 1999, and they were still around well into UO:R, and even AoS, on Atlantic / Siege at least.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

I played Atlantic late 98 through UOR, and was up at server wars nearly every night during T2A. I don't recall ever seeing these messages at server wars.

It sounds like this is a message from a Sphere server. Can't find much other reference to it.
http://www.sphereserver.net/lofiversion ... 34418.html
// On would save in the background quietly over a longer period of time, and not interrupt the game
// Off would notify "World save has been initiated" and save faster, but pause the game momentarily
SaveBackground=0
The only message I remember was a very non-obtrusive "The servers are going down shortly." The first time you got the message, things may or may not have saved, the second time (2-5mins later) it was (nearly always) completely saved. Server wars would continue for 10-30mins, then it would just up and die. There usually wasn't much of a revert from the initial "down" message, like 15mins at most typically.

For irregular downtime, a GM would send a system message "[System]:" or "<GM's name>:" followed by a single "The servers are going down shortly." At which point the server would soon die without further messages, or wars.

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Yeah, the only stuff I see relating to "world save has been initiated" from some quick searching is all sphere. There is no indication that world saves were ever announced on OSI servers, just the "servers are going down shortly" message. It seems really unlikely that this is from OSI considering that nobody else remembers this, the message is from sphere, and OSI servers didn't do freeze the world saving, they did it gradually which created the easy duping problems. Where you would recall back and forth to two different subservers trading a castle deed back and forth with another character, and hopefully end up with both characters getting saved while they had the deed. It would have been really dumb for them to announce "start duping now" like that. I definitely prefer the previous yellow message, and it doesn't seem to be an issue of accuracy at all.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Generic Player wrote:Yeah, the only stuff I see relating to "world save has been initiated" from some quick searching is all sphere. There is no indication that world saves were ever announced on OSI servers, just the "servers are going down shortly" message. It seems really unlikely that this is from OSI considering that nobody else remembers this, the message is from sphere, and OSI servers didn't do freeze the world saving, they did it gradually which created the easy duping problems. Where you would recall back and forth to two different subservers trading a castle deed back and forth with another character, and hopefully end up with both characters getting saved while they had the deed. It would have been really dumb for them to announce "start duping now" like that. I definitely prefer the previous yellow message, and it doesn't seem to be an issue of accuracy at all.

Sorry it isn't in-accurate at least the msg- you can set Windows to search through all the CLIOC files and search for that exact string and you will find it no problems I can show you exactly where. As far as the font goes I went with a screenshot from the end of 97 so that COULD be in-accurate. But the bright yellow text is obviously not what it looked like. Go to UO Travelogues they were not using Sphere and photos of the saves so it's whatever it is a save msg who care. When I release my chest intro I guess that never existed either

http://rhymerockrecords.net/files/Chest.gif

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Generic Player wrote:Yeah, the only stuff I see relating to "world save has been initiated" from some quick searching is all sphere. There is no indication that world saves were ever announced on OSI servers, just the "servers are going down shortly" message. It seems really unlikely that this is from OSI considering that nobody else remembers this, the message is from sphere, and OSI servers didn't do freeze the world saving, they did it gradually which created the easy duping problems. Where you would recall back and forth to two different subservers trading a castle deed back and forth with another character, and hopefully end up with both characters getting saved while they had the deed. It would have been really dumb for them to announce "start duping now" like that. I definitely prefer the previous yellow message, and it doesn't seem to be an issue of accuracy at all.

check your clioc files its right there

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Sandro wrote:Server-lines, as I called them, were definitely around after 1998, I didn't start playing until mid 1999, and they were still around well into UO:R, and even AoS, on Atlantic / Siege at least.
server lines were still there in 2003 when i quit. wouldnt be surprised if they're still there.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Nicoladen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nicoladen »

Yet another important discussion which ofc should be addressed asap.

Its game breaking!!

I almost left the server, because the yellow text was not era accurate! Fortunately the save message got changed before I quit!

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Nicoladen wrote:Yet another important discussion which ofc should be addressed asap.

Its game breaking!!

I almost left the server, because the yellow text was not era accurate! Fortunately the save message got changed before I quit!

Hahaha seriously funny man. I know it is a save message but the point is accuracy correct?

Besides it is implemented so it doesn't matter.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

nightshark wrote:
Sandro wrote:Server-lines, as I called them, were definitely around after 1998, I didn't start playing until mid 1999, and they were still around well into UO:R, and even AoS, on Atlantic / Siege at least.
server lines were still there in 2003 when i quit. wouldnt be surprised if they're still there.

As for the server lines - you were right they were not removed, however you can target people past the server lines now unlike in 97-99 however I do not know why but they are visible on UOAM or in existance it makes no sense with the current levels of computing power now.