Pet Claiming

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Pet Claiming

Post by Derrick »

nroper1 wrote::lol: ive gotta say i am increasingly impressed with this shard each time i play, and im excited to know that i can make my pets stronger. It also seams to be a pretty friendly shard and well kept. heres my question though... can i train a mongbat to be strong enough to fight dragons? haha ive always wanted to for some reason.
Glad you are enjoying the shard. You got me on this thread, I read the first page without looking at the dates very concerened we had broken something recently.

Even though you can train creatures, they still have skill and stat caps. What they can gain is generally relative to what their default skills and stats are. A dragon for example has a massive strengh compared to a mongbat, a mongbat would eventually hit his cap long before nearing the strength of a dragon.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

GuardianKnight wrote:
nroper1 wrote::lol: ive gotta say i am increasingly impressed with this shard each time i play, and im excited to know that i can make my pets stronger. It also seams to be a pretty friendly shard and well kept. heres my question though... can i train a mongbat to be strong enough to fight dragons? haha ive always wanted to for some reason.

No you can't train a mongbat to fight a dragon...if that worked then everyone would be doing it.
Nah, I'd just tame a dragon instead :-)

I'd bet you could get a mongbat to the point that it could beat a troll, but that's about it. If you're healing it with vet, you could ultimately take on a lot more though. Maybe an Elder Gazer. Imagine the mongbats as players with a cap of about 125 in each stat, but a very poor weapon in hand and a very poor AR and magic resist.

Getting them to 100 wrestling and tactics is easy; getting the stats up high is not.

By the way, actually, I'm not sure there was a stat cap on training pets in this era. The universal 125 cap came in well after UOR. It's sort of moot, since you can't know a pet's strength over 100 (anatomy only tells you up to 100), and it takes FOREVER to train, and in all practicality, your pet will die from too much training when you run out of bandages or your macro hangs up or something. And the stats will go very slowly when you get high up in the wrestling skill. But, there shouldn't be a cap as far as I know.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:I'd bet you could get a mongbat to the point that it could beat a troll, but that's about it. If you're healing it with vet, you could ultimately take on a lot more though. Maybe an Elder Gazer. Imagine the mongbats as players with a cap of about 125 in each stat, but a very poor weapon in hand and a very poor AR and magic resist.

Getting them to 100 wrestling and tactics is easy; getting the stats up high is not.
Their stats and AR are so low they would die pretty quick against anything, no matter how much you trained them. The only skill they would train that would raise their str would be wrestle, they might have 40 str by the time they GM (I read somewhere they start with 4-6). You don't seem to gain stat here after a skill hits GM.

Unfortunately you cant get your mongbats to macro herding ;/
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

nightshark wrote:You don't seem to gain stat here after a skill hits GM.
Sure you do, it's just really slow, compared to "see-sawing" at a low skill level.

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

I get stats really well by capping @ 700, or after getting to 7x, then turn the skill up that your using to get a stats.

It doesnt gain skill but the stats fly.

ie;
700 or 7x cap, 0 Snooping, point it up, and snoop. No skill gains, but stat gains

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Izual wrote:I get stats really well by capping @ 700, or after getting to 7x, then turn the skill up that your using to get a stats.

It doesnt gain skill but the stats fly.

ie;
700 or 7x cap, 0 Snooping, point it up, and snoop. No skill gains, but stat gains
yea i did that to alter my leet tank to 100 35 90 after i found out how much sweeter 35 dex is with hally refresh

you can't get tames to do it though, they generally have only 3 skills (unless they have magery, then 4). not that it makes a difference since they have no skill locks :D
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

If you want to bring up an issue, then something that needs to be addressed (Aside from the hideously inaccurate change to the "All kill" command) lets bring up the fact (Yet again) that Nightmare's fireballs do nowhere near the damage they should.

http://web.archive.org/web/199910130000 ... index.html

"Evil black horses with a serious attitude. They are VERY hard to tame and are very aggresive, but can be incredible steeds once they are under control. They breathe fireballs which do hp-based damage similar to and sometimes higher than Drakes, Lava Lizards, Hell Hounds, and Hell Cats. At full strength the fireball does between 50 - 60 points of damage. They are also capable of casting 8th circle magery with an estimated Mana pool of 300 to 500.

They seem to spawn only one at a time. Tactics to fight one of these mighty beasts would be similar to methods used to kill Wyrms."
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Faust

Post by Faust »

Drakes only have 400-900 hp in the original OSI code.
# drakes Difficulty 7
<type NORMAL DRAKES>
<frequency 100>
<region { DRAGON 0 DRAKE 0 DARKESTFOREST } >
<regionlimit { DRAGON 2 DRAKE 2 DARKESTFOREST 5 } >
<sex OTHER>
<name 579>
<corpsename drake>
<alignment EVIL>
<notoriety -125>
<objvar int petCanTame 100>
<objvar int petAckSfx monster_dragon1>
<objvar int petRefuseSfx monster_dragon4>
<objvar int spellCastersLevel 5>
<script dragonai>
<script monster>
<sfxnotice monster_dragon1>
<sfxidle monster_dragon2>
<sfxhit monster_dragon3>
<sfxwashit monster_dragon4>
<sfxdie monster_dragon5>
<strength 1d30+200>
<intelligence 1d40+100>
<dexterity 1d20+132>
<hp 1d400+500>
<mana 1d120+85>
<stamina 1d20+42>
<movetype MT_FLYING>
<sk skill_melee 1d250+650>
<sk skill_magic_defense 1d150+650>
<sk skill_battle_defense 1d150+650>
<sk skill_weapon_hand 1d150+650>
<naturalwc 4d6>
<naturalac 28>
<eq { rich_backpack 3 filthyrich_backpack 1 } 0 0 1 SELFCONTAINED>
<eq { rich_backpack 3 filthyrich_backpack 1 } 0 0 1 SELFCONTAINED>
<eq { 101515 1 101520 1 101525 1 101530 1 101535 1 } 0 0 1 SELFCONTAINED>
<resource food 25 3 MEAT>
<resource shelter 288 1 CAVES>
<resource shelter 288 1 DUNGEONS>
<resource production 50 0 CARNIVOREMEAT>
<resource production 20 0 LEATHER>
<resource production 8 0 DRAGON_BLOOD>
<resource desire 1 -3 DANGER>
<resource desire 1 -3 HOUSES>
<resource desire 1 -3 WATER>
<resource desire 1 -3 MOUNTAINS>
<resource desire 5 1 GOLD>
<friends 545>
<friends 578>
<friends 579>
<friends 580>
<@@@ END @@@>
Firebreath uses the following code...

Code: Select all

integer damage = (getCurHP(this) / 0x0A);
So in other words firebreath damage is 10% of the creature that uses it.
Last edited by Faust on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

nightshark wrote:..alter my leet tank to 100 35 90..
Yea that's the best way to go

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

looks to me that should be 501-900 min/max hp for drakes..

maybe im doing too much 6;00 am posting again tho..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Stranger: there was a LONG thread about Nightmares. Look it up. They were 1000+ HP, we believe, upon their entrance into the game. Then they were patched, pretty quickly, well before late 1999, to their current HPs. We discussed this all in the past. Same with All Kill. Bring new evidence to the discussion, or get over it.

Faust: Demo is not helpful here. I'm pretty sure they did not have up to 900 HP by mid-1999. Else we'd have seen similar fireballs from them as from dragons (who the demo lists as 700-1100 HPs). I mean, according to the demo file, dragons didn't even have magic, and we know for sure they did by our time period. There's no way to trust the demo for these guys.

As for firebreath, it's 10% of HPs, but don't forget, it's then halved like all damage. So the net effect as far as gameplay is concerned is 5% of HPs.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Damage is finalized globally by a division of 2 on OSI(cheap cop out to cut all damage down in the game).

20-45 Firebreath damage for a drake.

I would have to agree that they probably did in fact change but not sure when or what source would provide those details...