Server Tired

Topics related to Second Age
Ohm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Server Tired

Post by Ohm »

Budner wrote:I probably wouldn't quit if the server was wiped, but i fail to see the point aside from petty pixel jealousy. It's SO easy here to start up, level up, make money, find or purchase housing. Aside from taking away someone's cannon or statues or whatever, which IMO is just vindictive, I don't see how a wipe would make UOSA more attractive. To the contrary, the inevitable loss of vets who glue this place together would probably lead to rapid destruction of the shard.
Dont bring my cannon into this
[22:31:51] <wintergate> Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

This is like talking in circles.

One thing is clear, the wealth of a few individuals, while maybe grating to some, is not any kind of impediment to anyone else creating their own. It's just a matter of putting the time, smarts, and energy.

There was a Keep for sale on this forum recently, close to town. You know A KEEP, that building ppl would have paid $1000+ USD for in era, with a starting bid of 3X deed. Nobody even bid.

What's to be done, short of becoming a Renaissance shard?

I'm still in favor of TEMPORARY changes to mechanics. And I don't mean overpowered stuff that entertains our elite players, but also fun and easy stuff for the newer ones. (And those of us with laggy overseas connections). Stuff like new reagents spawning in the much underutilized New Lands for new spells, new and curious objects to be fished up, bulk order crafting, etc. ANYTHING, as long as it's temporary and everything reverts back to standard UOSA afterward, era accuracy has not been compromised.

eggmona

Post by eggmona »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
A shard wipe essentially sends the message of "We don't care about the time you've invested on Second Age." - It may be just a game, just pixels, but the time spent is real.

I agree whole heartedly.

While I may not own any GF masks, I have worked extremely hard for the amount of stuff that I do have. I don't understand when I see people asking for shard wipes; to me there doesn't seem to be a really good point to one. I started early 2012 (didn't register here for a while) and have amassed a decent amount of goods through hard work and farming. A shard wipe is something that would completely disregard me, a relatively new player with no neon items, who loves to play the game and gather wealth, regardless of how futile it may be.

Truly I did not want to bump this kind of thread, but seeing the GM's response and point of view, I had to step in and show my support for it. Don't wipe the shard!!! It would destroy all the stuff this newbie has worked really hard to get!

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

People just like the idea of reincarnation, rather than outright death. Mix that with the overly dramatic people who think that it is dying every week, and suddenly you have a thread with 20 pages.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Notorious

Post by Notorious »

this thread is comedy

CRockwell

Post by CRockwell »

I dont think the point of a shard wipe (sounds bad) is to punish people with a lot of stuff. No one cares if you are super rich and that is what you want to pursue. The point of a shard wipe or refresh would be to try to bring back some of the people (alot of people) who have left in the past year because frankly they reached endgame. They have done everything from owning the buildings they want, to pk'in the miners they want, to griefing any newbs on the server, to idoc'in. There simply is nothing left for them to do...so they left or worse, they simply refresh their house or even more worse have a friend do it for them.

A refresh sets them back and makes things fresh again...a rebirth if you will. Similar to when a new shard was opened on OSI. You had many jumping from their original shard to the new one. Heck, keep this one intact and open a new shard for those that want something fresh. I don't care one way or the other....I really just want to see if this post can break the record on uosa forums for pages...carry on.

JessieKJepsen
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by JessieKJepsen »

A shard wipe is a very bad idea and I hope it does not happen, I think most people whom have worked so hard for what they have would just walk away and not come back. I would see it as a slap in the face to my hard work and time spent.

If you want as much as some have earn it, research how to make it and buy it or find it!

I don't feel the server has run its course, in fact about every year in the spring time and early summer population activity seems to decline on most online games. It will pick back up and with everything Derrick and his pals have into this server I doubt they will let it fade away :)

I know its not hopping like it was a few years ago, and that does make me sad.

I am sure our GM's have some fun stuff in the works for us! :)

Thank you Derrick, and everyone else working behind the curtains to keep UOSA going and a fun place!

~Jess

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

GuardianKnight wrote:I would support wiping the server, even as I own the museum properties with a billion gold in rares. I would then quit and not worry that scavengers would end up with any of it.

Have I mentioned how I loathe IDOCers and the whole non era accurate method that is used to do it?
I am with you GK - I think the shit in the house should disappear when the house decays and add a random timer to the house location that prevents house placement to keep scripters from plopping a house down the instant the house sign is gone. IDOC'ing is not playing the game as I have said probably 100 times.. and using Item ID on a house sign does not qualify for "playing".

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Let people play the way they want. Don't hate on them because they want to go through the tedious hell of checking houses, etc. Is it reeeeally that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things? It doesn't hurt me, and it shouldn't anyone else... but w/e.

AE's.

Period.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Myrnae wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:I would support wiping the server, even as I own the museum properties with a billion gold in rares. I would then quit and not worry that scavengers would end up with any of it.

Have I mentioned how I loathe IDOCers and the whole non era accurate method that is used to do it?
I am with you GK - I think the shit in the house should disappear when the house decays and add a random timer to the house location that prevents house placement to keep scripters from plopping a house down the instant the house sign is gone. IDOC'ing is not playing the game as I have said probably 100 times.. and using Item ID on a house sign does not qualify for "playing".

I IDOC'd for a lil while after I started. I had people I considered friends. They were IDOC'ers. I would invite them to the IDOCs that I found and then they would promptly take everything and then place shit in the area, knowing I was only there to place.

After the first time, I thought it would be different with different kinds of people. Nope. I was wrong. Turns out that IDOCing is for one type of player. The kind that is out for just themselves. IDOCs make you do things you wouldn't do to people in normal game play. Friends join your enemies, your enemies turn on your friends and theirs, and people pretend they got nothing; hoping to avoid sharing with their guilds. It wouldn't have ever bothered me, had I not learned that, on top of the deceit and outright douchebaggery, I was being cheated because I refused to use automated scripts to do everything. I came here for era accuracy. All I ever heard was "Not era accurate" for anything half way interesting that ever could be, but somehow THIS mechanic is allowed; using 3rd party programs, even.

People are supposed to be scrambling to get things. They aren't supposed to instantly pick stuff up and laugh at the people who dared to play the game like it should have been played (not cheating).

I attended the Roadkill one and the Sebben IDOC. Nothing has changed. Given the chance, the playerbase here, friend or foe, will show just how nasty they can be. IDOC: A market, completely cornered by cheaters and pretenders.

Also note: In the quoted thread, I said that if the server wiped, I would quit. I would quit, knowing that scavengers wouldn't touch anything of value. I imagine everyone would quit.

The sentiment, really, here, is that people want the server to stop. You have server suicide syndrome. You would rest easier, knowing that this little world would empty out and you could leave "your precious" in the pits of mordor.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Still Standing

Post by Still Standing »

El Oh El....all the wizard tears.
[09:24] <@Derrick> If you donate, and you need to get bailed out of Jail in Penobscot County, Maine in the next year, I'll come get you personally.

[19:35] <Owned_By_A_Girl> No, the doctor poked me too hard.(Along with half the shard)

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Ridiculous. Some of us want the server to live long and prosper. Trash your items and quit if that's how you feel. The barrel is calling you. Then no big bad meanies will get your pixels.

Sadly though, people do cheat. Most people end up knowing who those folks are. *shrugs* I don't, because it would taint any victories I acheived. There is nothing better than defeating enemies that need an unfair edge IMHO. Cheaters know they're cheaters, and that's good enough for me.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Notorious

Post by Notorious »

server wipe will never happen. this server has longevity it will definitely out last any other shard out there no doubt, but i do opt for the events heavily.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Abyz wrote:Ridiculous. Some of us want the server to live long and prosper. Trash your items and quit if that's how you feel. The barrel is calling you. Then no big bad meanies will get your pixels.

Sadly though, people do cheat. Most people end up knowing who those folks are. *shrugs* I don't, because it would taint any victories I acheived. There is nothing better than defeating enemies that need an unfair edge IMHO. Cheaters know they're cheaters, and that's good enough for me.
Lol you mean people like zak "take three steps to your one" cheats? No way!
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Abyz wrote:Ridiculous. Some of us want the server to live long and prosper. Trash your items and quit if that's how you feel. The barrel is calling you. Then no big bad meanies will get your pixels.

So much easier to just use vanqs.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.