SERVER POP

Topics related to Second Age

1 house per acct or unlimited housing per player?

1 house per acct
67%
Unlimited housing
33%

Total votes: 45

farnk

Re: SERVER POP

Post by farnk »

Ali wrote:Housing is the least of this server's worries.

Have you walked around the world lately?

The vast open land is N.E.A.

We need more people not less houses.
qft

CRockwell

Post by CRockwell »

Brules wrote:Vega nailed it on the head early on. 1 house per account is NEA. Not. Era. Accurate. UOSA is all about era accuracy ....If you do not like the way it is, I would suggest finding a diff server...
I couldnt agree more. Housing is not an issue with UOSA and doing a 1 house/account wont do anything other than put the final stake in the heart of UOSA. You will lose what is left of the committed core of the shard. Doing this will not bring a mass of newbies to the shard.

In all honestly, I believe the reason for shard decline is simply the shard has run its course. Being era accurate means well...being era accurate. Era accuracy means that eventually you will run out of stuff to do. That is where we are. That is the reason OSI evolved over the years. When things got stale they introduced new material. We can't do that on UOSA. They committed themselves and have stayed true to era accuracy. You have to give them a huge hand for that.

Now all these things I hear people want out of their shard seem to be custom and out of Second Age era...more custom. There is no shortage of those out there. One only has to to go to joinuo.com (or other comparable site) and see any number of shards. I for one am enjoying UOEpidemic right now. Evolution Dragons, real player town management, siege weapons/warfare and the fact that it is brand new is appealing to me. It may not be to all. Maybe other people have shard suggestions.

I guess my point is, why bitch about things you can't get changed. Just move on. UOSA is exactly what it is advertised as, Second Age. There was a post that suggested building out a brand new sister shard with small tweaks to UOSA, that I would be down for. I think others would too. That to me would be a promising course of action to take.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Please choose the correct answer.

A: advertise

B: wait until winter. population always rebounds in winter.

C. ban more people

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Question: how many houses was era accurate? What was the max number per account?

Limiting the number of houses per account is certainly not a panacea, but IMO it would help entice at least a few players.

Losing the "committed core" of the shard is like losing the crew of the Titanic.

Vega's assertion that limiting housing would kill the shard is a joke. It is pure speculation, borne out his paranoia of losing his precious pixels, and anyway, UOSA is dying - why not at least try some new things?

Vega, you and your IDOCers control dozens of houses at a time, just because you're not maxed out at 15 doesn't mean you're not hoarding houses/spaces that new players might enjoy. And how many houses do you personally control anyway? How about your team? I have 2 houses across 3 accounts.

Maybe 1 house per account is too drastic. Maybe 2 houses is the right number, so all the pixel hoarders don't become overwhelmingly butthurt.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Budner wrote:Question: how many houses was era accurate? What was the max number per account?
OSI/EA limited accounts to 1 house per character, with no restrictions on how many houses a "person" could own. Plenty of people paid additional fees simply to sit on real estate back in the day.
Budner wrote:Vega's assertion that limiting housing would kill the shard is a joke. It is pure speculation..
Agreed on the part that it's speculation. However, there's something to be said about taking away houses or items from players who earned them. This is why I'd never be in favor of a shard wipe. Even I'd quit UOSA if that happened. It's a slap in the face to those who have dedicated time here. The pixels may be digital fairy dust, but the time spent is 100% real.

---------------
Personally (this does not represent where UOSA staff stands on policy or opinion), I'd be more likely to look for a policy that hinders maintenance/refreshing of friend's houses for extended periods. If you can't log into your account to refresh your house at least once every 30 days (2 decay "cycles") then it's time give up your land ownership. I also view accessing your friend's account simply to refresh a house, access a house or bank, or to borrow a crafter's abilities as unacceptable account sharing.

Exceptions being people who contact staff about extended aways (military people, long vacationers, people going through some real life hardships, etc). In the past, UOSA staff has made exceptions to manually refresh player's homes in these situations. I believe I had Derrick do it for me while on an extended road trip.
---------------
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Kublai Khan
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kublai Khan »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Budner wrote:Question: how many houses was era accurate? What was the max number per account?
OSI/EA limited accounts to 1 house per character, with no restrictions on how many houses a "person" could own. Plenty of people paid additional fees simply to sit on real estate back in the day.
Budner wrote:Vega's assertion that limiting housing would kill the shard is a joke. It is pure speculation..
Agreed on the part that it's speculation. However, there's something to be said about taking away houses or items from players who earned them. This is why I'd never be in favor of a shard wipe. Even I'd quit UOSA if that happened. It's a slap in the face to those who have dedicated time here. The pixels may be digital fairy dust, but the time spent is 100% real.

---------------
Personally (this does not represent where UOSA staff stands on policy or opinion), I'd be more likely to look for a policy that hinders maintenance/refreshing of friend's houses for extended periods. If you can't log into your account to refresh your house at least once every 30 days (2 decay "cycles") then it's time give up your land ownership. I also view accessing your friend's account simply to refresh a house, access a house or bank, or to borrow a crafter's abilities as unacceptable account sharing.

Exceptions being people who contact staff about extended aways (military people, long vacationers, people going through some real life hardships, etc). In the past, UOSA staff has made exceptions to manually refresh player's homes in these situations. I believe I had Derrick do it for me while on an extended road trip.
---------------
I agree with your statements. I now understand why I took the wrong approach with my argument. Housing limits/no limits should stay the same.

House decay is NEA, this is the real issue. PLEASE MAKE HOUSE DECAY ERA ACCURATE! Server save time and people having so much real estate/hoarding items would be drastically improved.

My above comment implemented with this idea from Boomland Jenkins "a policy that hinders maintenance/refreshing of friend's houses for extended periods. If you can't log into your account to refresh your house at least once every 30 days (2 decay "cycles") then it's time give up your land ownership. I also view accessing your friend's account simply to refresh a house, access a house or bank, or to borrow a crafter's abilities as unacceptable account sharing."

Please Derrick and UOSA Staff, make it era accurate?

Brules

Post by Brules »

What was in era decay like? I can't remember?

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

I have 2 castles for sale @ deed + tower, and 2 keeps @ deed + small

Hardly a premium on either. Housing is not the issue.

Kublai Khan
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kublai Khan »

Brules wrote:What was in era decay like? I can't remember?
11 day decay to be era accurate. See notes below.

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Ultima_Onli ... 03/18/1998

Look specifically under "Optimization and performance improvements".

Let's be as Era Accurate as we can, join me!

Damnsammit

Post by Damnsammit »

Kublai Khan wrote:

I'd be down for that. What's 3 extra days?

Kublai Khan
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kublai Khan »

Damnsammit wrote:
Kublai Khan wrote:

I'd be down for that. What's 3 extra days?
I agree its not but 72 hr difference. This coupled with Boomland's suggestion would be great for accuracy purposes and server save times.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Kublai Khan wrote:I agree its not but 72 hr difference. This coupled with Boomland's suggestion would be great for accuracy purposes and server save times.
Except my suggestion is not accurate and is a personal opinion and not a stance on any policy we have plans to implement.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

The problem isn't people refreshing friends houses.
The problem is either said person has more than 3 accounts OR the "friend" gave that person their acct with all the houses. There's really no way for the gms to battle this fight, its not hard to have a different IP. So this topics more dead then events.
Now, for those that still think that most people only log in to/keep houses on 3 accounts, take a look at this server population, and your telling me there's still no room? Lol.... When this server had 900 on at a time a couple years ago I found a 2story spot pretty swiftly, but with 100-150 people on(80% macroing) no one can find a spot? Come on guys your in denial.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Damnsammit

Post by Damnsammit »

Menkaure wrote:The problem isn't people refreshing friends houses.
The problem is either said person has more than 3 accounts OR the "friend" gave that person their acct with all the houses. There's really no way for the gms to battle this fight, its not hard to have a different IP. So this topics more dead then events.
Now, for those that still think that most people only log in to/keep houses on 3 accounts, take a look at this server population, and your telling me there's still no room? Lol.... When this server had 900 on at a time a couple years ago I found a 2story spot pretty swiftly, but with 100-150 people on(80% macroing) no one can find a spot? Come on guys your in denial.
Find me a spot for a large brick, and I'll give you 10k? :)

Brules

Post by Brules »

Don't forget - in era controlling housing and selling land was a VERY viable way to make a good living.

In addition to solving the rampant PK problem - trammel also opened up vast new swaths of land for people - housing and space WAS an issue in era.......