New (Old) Player just a few q's

Topics related to Second Age
Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: New (Old) Player just a few q's

Post by Budner »

Boondock_Saint wrote:You can make stuff while AFK.
I make love AFK :shock:

Lord Mammoth

Post by Lord Mammoth »

sschm wrote:My LJ was put in jail. Is there no getting out?

I never even said that I did go AFK while selling the bows anywhere in my posts. I mentioned going AFK while lumberjacking, but I was not running any sort of script to keep gathering wood while I was AFK. I mentioned that you COULD go AFK while running a macro to craft bows and auto sell them, but I didn't know it was against the rules to do so. I do admit to alt-tabbing and doing other stuff in the same room while waiting for boards to get depleted while crafting bows and auto selling them. I wasn't literally AFK, and I was back in the game in no time. I also only recently started doing this, because I didn't have the "Vendor Sell" included into my macro until a few days ago. I can easily wait for the bows to finish being crafted and then do a manual "Vendor Sell" while still accomplishing the same thing, so this isn't any sort of serious set back, unless I can't get out of jail. I started a 15 minute timer each time I ran the bow crafting macro and then I tabbed back into the game once the timer went off, but I often tabbed back in the game during those 15 minutes just to quickly check up on it. None of this was literal AFK vendor selling, and even if I did want to go AFK or if being alt-tabbed is considered AFK, I could have easily used Razor to macro making the bows in advance at a bank with a Razor restocking agent for maximum efficiency and still accomplished the same thing with perhaps only a one minute difference in the amount of time it takes to craft and sell the bows.

Rammar, you said I can't "AFK gather that which can be sold to npcs for a profit," but when I am running my bowcrafting macros, I am training my bowcrafting skill and gaining a lot of bows that can be sold to NPCs for profit. The rules state that "You may not gather things unattended. This includes Mining, Lumberjacking, lockpicking in dungeons, cotton picking/sheep shearing, and fishing. You may also not sell items to vendors AFK for profit." Nowhere in the rules does this include gathering "things" (bows) via the bowcrafting skill while AFK. It only mentions mining, lumberjacking, lockpicking, fishing, and cotton picking/sheep shearing. I sold the bows sometimes while alt-tabbed or while doing something else in the same room, but I wasn't really AFK because I could see the game on my monitor.

If I broke the rules then I apologize, but I am not sure if I really did break any rules and I am not 100% clear if it is legal to macro making bows while AFK because this does indeed constitute gathering "things" (bows) unattended, but I am positive that so many other players do this constantly to GM their crafting skills. Also, I am not really clear on if what I did was an actual violation of the rules, because I was not truly AFK while running my bowcrafting macro with the "say Vendor Sell" included in the macro. I'd like to keep on doing this, but I will of course change things around a bit to avoid any possible appearances of an AFK vendor seller, and of course if I am truly going to be AFK I will not auto sell to vendors because that is clearly stated to be against the rules. Whatever the case is, it is probably not worth the risk to keep the "vendor sell" line in my macro, even if I am not really AFK but alt-tabbed to an additional UO client or some other application.

If other new comers want to try this, I'd first raise your strength to 100 and dexterity to 75 doing herding and snooping macros. Start out with 50 INT and cap it at that. Put the rest into STR. Get a horse ASAP (you can LJ on a horse), and once you make enough gold, train your lumberjacker in magery and meditation from a mage guildmaster and then start a magery and meditation macro on your LJ so you can recall. You only need 70.1 magery to never fail the recall spell.

There was a rune library in a tower located close to East Britain that helped me get to various vendors on islands that I marked with runes.

This is very low risk and if you need to alt-tab to other applications frequently this is probably better than making a bard if you can handle the somewhat boring wood chopping. I was listening to music while doing it, but you can listen to talk shows or whatever else you like. Possible to do at work as well if you're on a computer for most of the day. Otherwise, on a bard, you are going to have to put all of your concentration into the game while out provoking monsters with your bard, and the source of income is not guaranteed. It is not guaranteed with the LJ as well, but if you can manage to build your character to be able to recall, it is pretty much guaranteed because there are many vendors available and I have never seen all of them out of gold or buying for cheap prices.
Just put in a page via help I your paperdoll. Someone will get you out if you are not already out. I just put you in there so that when you came back someone could point you to my post incase you had missed it.
Lord Mammoth

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

sschm wrote: Rammar, you said I can't "AFK gather that which can be sold to npcs for a profit," but when I am running my bowcrafting macros, I am training my bowcrafting skill and gaining a lot of bows that can be sold to NPCs for profit. The rules state that "You may not gather things unattended. This includes Mining, Lumberjacking, lockpicking in dungeons, cotton picking/sheep shearing, and fishing. You may also not sell items to vendors AFK for profit." Nowhere in the rules does this include gathering "things" (bows) via the bowcrafting skill while AFK. It only mentions mining, lumberjacking, lockpicking, fishing, and cotton picking/sheep shearing. I sold the bows sometimes while alt-tabbed or while doing something else in the same room, but I wasn't really AFK because I could see the game on my monitor.
You can make and buy crap all you want afk. You crossed the line when you tried afk-selling the product of your labor, as specifically stated... 'Wasn't really afk' hardly matters if you don't respond to a gm when they ask... You're afk.