afk fishing...........

Topics related to Second Age
liinniejj

Re: afk fishing...........

Post by liinniejj »

in fact if you have to go to the toilet leave yer pc and fishers alone you are supposed to stop yer macro and play it again when yer back.

and NO there is no way to 'scout' or have an 'alarm' for gm's popping up.

afk = afk

if you decide to play another character and go do a tmap on an alt without having something like splitscreen you are clearly unable to keep an eye on yer fishers as yer fighting mobs and looting a chest. to me counts as afk.

fishing is not for everyone :)

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

Run dual/triple monitors.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Too lazy to go find the post, but I think Derrick (or maybe another staff member) once commented that if a GM appears, they make a sound like the lightning spell, which supposedly sounds even if the screen isn't active (in the case of a GM appearing). Not sure if this is still the case, or if I'm remembering incorrectly, but that would be the "alarm" you're looking for I suppose. Just make sure your volume is up. :lol:

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Okay, decided to quit being lazy. Here's the post (it was Braden):

UnAttended Fishing
Braden wrote:Please configure your clien correctly. When we appear it sounds like a lightning bolt. When we leave it sounds like a tripple flamestrike. This is intentional so that whenever we appear, you will HEAR us even if you are in a different window. If you have your sound disabled and get jailed for unattended resource gathering, its your own fault. We give you 5 minutes plus the audible indicator that we have appeared.

Andersonius

Post by Andersonius »

Exactly.

As long as your checking up on things every couple minutes you are alright. Now people can say that is AFK and that is BS but thats a matter of opinion.

What matters is what the GM's say, and if you are checking every couple minutes there will be no way for you to be jailed because you will not be AFK and will be able to respond to GM's.

If you are going to be AFK for any amount of time, best to turn off your macros and do what you do.

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

is fishing even a productive profession? Anyone have the "master plan" post that will inspire me to log in with my fisher after 4 months?

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

liinniejj wrote:

Not true.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Apocalypse wrote:Okay, decided to quit being lazy. Here's the post (it was Braden):

UnAttended Fishing
Braden wrote:Please configure your clien correctly. When we appear it sounds like a lightning bolt. When we leave it sounds like a tripple flamestrike. This is intentional so that whenever we appear, you will HEAR us even if you are in a different window. If you have your sound disabled and get jailed for unattended resource gathering, its your own fault. We give you 5 minutes plus the audible indicator that we have appeared.
This is not entirely accurate. GMs can appear to a player via multiple methods, some of which do and don't make sounds. Each GM can use the method they find appropriate within certain guidelines, and audible cues are not sufficient.

To answer the main question, we define a player to be AFK if they do not respond when we try to make contact. You may be at your computer and doing something different such as watching a movie, or playing another character, or you may not be at your computer at all, but these circumstances make no difference. They are identical in terms of functional results, and thus we treat them the same way.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

sircharlestha3rd

Post by sircharlestha3rd »

Ok thanks for clearing this up Kavien. Its just unfortunate that if you fish you really cant risk farming, pvp, exc.

Fishing is not worth the risk for me but maybe ill try to shrink screen sizes mentioned earlier.

All in all I think it's probably best this way considering all the afk fishers/miners I've ran into in my time here on the shard.

A zero tolerance rule will keep unattended resource gathers actually "earning" there keep instead of getting filthy rich while working IRL.

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

Robbbb wrote:
liinniejj wrote:

Not true.
not allowed to use Euo;)
Last edited by liinniejj on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

liinniejj wrote:
Robbbb wrote:
liinniejj wrote:

Not true.
now allowed to use Euo;)
It can be done in razor, but I certainly wouldn't try getting too clever vs a GM unless you enjoy jailtime/bans (it could be considered an evasion attempt). Whoever said a GM had to appear humanoid (among other parameters)? ("[self set bodyvalue 0x97"... Go Flipper the Boat Inspector! ).

Seriously, just split-screen or dual-monitor, or leave it up to those that have the patience to.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

I can verify GM's don't show on Tracking if thats what you're implying.

Tested once when Kaivan popped onto my boat for a chat (without the audio cue)
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

sircharlestha3rd wrote:Ok thanks for clearing this up Kavien. Its just unfortunate that if you fish you really cant risk farming, pvp, exc.

Fishing is not worth the risk for me but maybe ill try to shrink screen sizes mentioned earlier.

All in all I think it's probably best this way considering all the afk fishers/miners I've ran into in my time here on the shard.

A zero tolerance rule will keep unattended resource gathers actually "earning" there keep instead of getting filthy rich while working IRL.
Buy a second monitor. Honestly, it's a great investment and you'll be more productive at whatever it is you do with your computer, including UO. If you use widescreens, you can also do things like have one vertical for browsing the web and one horizontal for gaming.

Glad to see people getting jailed for afk fishing, too. Good to see active new GMs. ;P
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

Yeah I had the Fuzz drop by for a visit on my boat today. I mean come on, I'm just starting out a new fisherman cuz i forgot the account name for my old one. Anyway i was present and was like "Whazzup dog?" when Smokey pulled me over.

Then there was this other dude on my boat who wasn't do nothing, not macroing, just frkn standing there. But Jackie Gleason wanted him to speak anyway, so he was all like "OK, what up bitch?"

Man who wanna AFK anyway? No me bro, those sea serpents will mess yo' shit up! And pirates yo!

Like fishermen didn't already have enough to worry about. :roll:

Oh yeah... and those jackie gleason GM revenuer types!@

(Do I need to offer him a bribe next time, is that was this is about?)

Well my only concern is that sometimes I have to do something, like poop. SO I stop the macro, but the GM don't seem to realize we're not fishing.

So I started a macro saying "I'm AFK but I'm not macroing right now."

But that's bullshit cuz I am macroing, I'm macroing saying that!! So what should I do to protect myself from GM brutality?

I suppose GM's don't ever poop, huh? :roll:

Lord Mammoth

Post by Lord Mammoth »

If you are not fishing you are not afk resource gathering. If we sit there and see you fish even once without responded your busted.
Lord Mammoth