Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: is there a hack? (about lagging)

Post by Light Shade »

corruption42 wrote:
azheman wrote:
corruption42 wrote:I've said it on irc, I'll say it here;

The lack of understanding of the technology that runs this is astounding; you should really understand the networking and how it all functions before you start making assumptions like these. Pingflooding and various attacks were common in era; but we were all on dialup modems and there were numerous direct-attack exploits that could force a disconnection or severe lag. That was 15+ years ago and those days were gone before the growth of cable modem and dsl service. The type of flow you would need to present, is so drastic with a cable modem or dsl, that the chances of ANYONE pulling it off from a local connection are pretty much impossible -- you will get punished by your service provider long before the target even notices you're attacking them.

Now, a Denial of Service attack -- which is what we're talking about here -- is perfectly possible, and it happens round the clock all over the world. The people firing off these attacks, are doing so with literally millions of computers that have been hijacked; they are usually targeting something of interest, and chances of these networks being targeted as desired at specific addresses in relation to a game is pretty unlikely. They are used for ill-gotten purposes, like attempting to attack credit card companies; not trivialities like UO.

That brings us to the next flaw in this little theory; the address. How many of you are on IRC? Are you using the nick registration services to obfuscate your address? If you're not on IRC, how do you propose anyone is getting your IP address?

The answer is really simple, and chum already said it -- so I won't repeat that part. But this notion that someone is somehow knowing exactly when to target a DoS attack at you when you by chance encounter eachother in-game, is just absolutely absurd.

This guy is clearly trying to distract you with his fancy lingo.

He must be the one running the lag machine!
Shhh, Malice will be mad that we let out the smoke monster!
Don't let the blue smoke out!
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

I only lag around Azheman. Ban please.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

montier

Post by montier »

corruption42 wrote:I've said it on irc, I'll say it here;

The lack of understanding of the technology that runs this is astounding; you should really understand the networking and how it all functions before you start making assumptions like these. Pingflooding and various attacks were common in era; but we were all on dialup modems and there were numerous direct-attack exploits that could force a disconnection or severe lag. That was 15+ years ago and those days were gone before the growth of cable modem and dsl service. The type of flow you would need to present, is so drastic with a cable modem or dsl, that the chances of ANYONE pulling it off from a local connection are pretty much impossible -- you will get punished by your service provider long before the target even notices you're attacking them.

Now, a Denial of Service attack -- which is what we're talking about here -- is perfectly possible, and it happens round the clock all over the world. The people firing off these attacks, are doing so with literally millions of computers that have been hijacked; they are usually targeting something of interest, and chances of these networks being targeted as desired at specific addresses in relation to a game is pretty unlikely. They are used for ill-gotten purposes, like attempting to attack credit card companies; not trivialities like UO.

That brings us to the next flaw in this little theory; the address. How many of you are on IRC? Are you using the nick registration services to obfuscate your address? If you're not on IRC, how do you propose anyone is getting your IP address?

The answer is really simple, and chum already said it -- so I won't repeat that part. But this notion that someone is somehow knowing exactly when to target a DoS attack at you when you by chance encounter eachother in-game, is just absolutely absurd.
This is a bit naive... while ping floods aren't a viable attack anymore.. There are many many other attacks at are viable.. unless you have a deep understanding of how the the UO client communicates with the server, you cant rule out that an attack is possible.. probable?? that is an entirely different story..

with a netbook and decent dsl connection you could make unreachable most Apache webservers running in pre-fork mpm, and very few ISPs would ever notice it.. Slow Loris.. Look it up on wikipedia

so the purpose of my post is.. basically.. it is possible. anything is possible with the right resources and motivation.