A few questions

Topics related to Second Age
Pirul

Re: A few questions

Post by Pirul »

riant wrote:The terrathon warriors always drop a magic weap but it's force or lower.
Neg!!

I've gotten some pretty good vanq hally's off thera warriors.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

There's a fair few reds, mostly cause the people who've played the longest get bored with everything else, so pvp is the only excitement left to them. There are thieves too but just keeping your stuff in a locked box makes them a non-issue. The thing to keep in mind is these people are just playing the game the same as you. Anything they try to do to you, you can learn to protect yourself from. They put a lot of effort into getting your stuff, so you need to put in some effort to keep it.

If you don't care enough to defend your goods, you shouldn't care so much about losing them either. You will lose sometimes, but would you play a game that you knew you could never lose? What makes this game great is that failure has consequences, making your victories all the sweeter.

My advice is to give the shard an honest chance, try to get to know some people, maybe join a guild. Getting started isn't nearly as hard as you seem to believe, even without outside help, and there's plenty of folks who actively seek out new players to get them up to speed.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Neith wrote:It doesnt sound like its for me. I dont really enjoy being target practice. I wish I had started when the server first started. Different when you start out on the same playing field than being the new guy with no skills. :D

Thanks for the answers though.

I do have one more question.

Is the Terathan Keep the old school T2A Terathan Keep with magic weapons? Or is this the newer later version where that ended?
Wow, I started late twice all over
That's a poor attitude
The kind that wants to play but never lose
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Greenhell

Post by Greenhell »

Neith wrote:Before I invest any time in this server, I have a few questions.

1) Is the server populated?
Im not really one for dead servers
UOSA has a healthy population. Weeknights around/after dinner time and weekends all day and night are peak hours. Most of the concerns you have can be avoided by playing off-peak hours.
2) Is there a lot of griefing?
Im dont enjoy people killing me maliciously just to make my day a living hell. IE killing the Healers around and rez killing and corpse camping. I can deal with this attitudes at work. Dont really want to deal with a lot of that in-game and if the majority of people are or even 50% of the people are are dicks to strangers, then please, let me know.
I wouldn't say 50% of the pop are 'dicks' to strangers, I'd say most people are indifferent. Then there are griefers and carebears on either end of the spectrum. And yes, UOSA griefers love to make your day 'a living hell'. The stuff you mentioned is nothing compared to the foul shit these people come up with. There is also an equally devoted group of people commited to helping new players have an enjoyable gaming experience. I've never dealt with these people but I hear they are nice.
3) Is the server just full of PKs and Thieves?
I know this is basically the majority that UO like games attract, but if this is all we have on here, Id like to know.
There are a lot of PKs on the shard. Reds are all over the good hunting spots during peak hours. They usually travel in groups. With practice you can learn to escape most every time. But you will die a lot and get dry looted a lot before you get to that level. And even then they will still kill you occasionally.

Town thieves are a much lesser problem, there are plenty of good threads regarding home and personal inventory security. Dungeon thieves and opportunist looters are very very common, again there are plenty of ways to deal with them.
Thanks. Honest opinions and feedback for a stranger and new comer are appreciated. I wont hesitate to leave if this is nothing more than a bunch of jerks trying to loot n00bs. I pay my taxes enough in real life.
A Trammie server might be a better fit for you. You haven't created a character yet but you already seem frustrated. If you stay, all the stuff you mentioned and more is going to happen.

But that's the appeal for me. This game has real consequences in a modern gaming culture that is devoid of consequences. Creating and deploying counters to avoid negative consequences keeps my mind sharp and keeps me engaged. Plus I get to fiddle around with all my digital junk in my make pretend house. So it's whatever floats your boat :) Good luck either way.

Neith

Post by Neith »

All great feedback thanks.

You get a good feel of why people are here from asking questions they may not like to answer.

The thing that appeals to most UO players or Darkfall players is making someone a victim. It isnt the enjoyment of being killed by other players. The thrill and excitement of being killed is fun, but the over abundance of dying isnt fun. Being dry looted isnt fun and walking back to town over and over isnt fun. But... making someone walk back to town sure can be fun.

I was just trying to get a general feel of how it is here. Some servers are full of dicks and others arent. So just seeing what to expect before bothering and wasting my time.

You are right, I dont enjoy being dry looted. Im not sure I know anyone that loves that part of UO and since it happens frequently, Ill play elsewhere. So thank you for being honest.

Stromverbrauch

Post by Stromverbrauch »

Neith wrote:All great feedback thanks.

You get a good feel of why people are here from asking questions they may not like to answer.

The thing that appeals to most UO players or Darkfall players is making someone a victim. It isnt the enjoyment of being killed by other players. The thrill and excitement of being killed is fun, but the over abundance of dying isnt fun. Being dry looted isnt fun and walking back to town over and over isnt fun. But... making someone walk back to town sure can be fun.

I was just trying to get a general feel of how it is here. Some servers are full of dicks and others arent. So just seeing what to expect before bothering and wasting my time.

You are right, I dont enjoy being dry looted. Im not sure I know anyone that loves that part of UO and since it happens frequently, Ill play elsewhere. So thank you for being honest.
Here is my input: I've been registered since 2011 here but rarely played, and now picked up playing again like 3 weeks ago.

I mostly play alone, and have not been shy to go out of guarded zones and into dungeons: In the past 3 weeks I have seen exactly one PK who was trying to kill me but I managed to recall, in my overall time here I've been PK'd less than I have fingers on each of my hands. I am absolute not interested in PVP, and from my experience it's not so hard to get out of the way of PKs, even without just standing in guarded zones 24/7. This might also have something to do with me playing at peak European times and not US times.

However, if you are looking for a game that has a high degree of safety and only allows bad stuff to happen if you agree with it then there are many other games out there that might apply more to your taste. Pretty much all mainstream MMORPG's today cater to that kind of "care free" gameplay style.

I guess in order to understand why there are so many people who still love this "T2A"-Era UO you have to understand that it is basically about a very open world that allows both bad and good to spread, which is a big difference to most online games these days that only deliver a "no risk" gameplay.

Neith

Post by Neith »

Well thats a totally different reply. Maybe someone is trying to keep me out of here. I dont like carefree games. I have played uo, wish, mortal online, darkfall, earthrise, age of wushu, eve, daoc, vanguard, etc. Every game has been lack luster compared to uo, but dying constantly and dry looted over and over isnt fun either. My questions were mostly to see if this server was nothing but asshats trying to ruin peoples fun. Dont mind dying and paying my dues at all, but if the servers full of dicks dry looting cause they can, i dont want it. I do not enjoy ghosting around for two hours trying to make it to towns. Again, not looking for wow, but definitely not looking to be a ghost 24/7 for someone elses enjoyment either.

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

Have you even made a character? Why not just try it out quickly and see for yourself?

Djinn_Voodoo

Post by Djinn_Voodoo »

listen up man!! the shard does pretty good population 500-700 there are pks there are thieves there are griefers there are assholes!! HOWERVER; easily avoidable depending on your play style. the hot spots for pks are usually where the most money is made: Destard, fire temple, covetous, deciet, titan valley tetheron keep , ophidain lair. learn to keep watch of your screen (inc name) learn to be able to recall at a split sec notice learn to avoid the traps.. never be to comfortable. you can meet up with some really cool people that u can hunt with. i went from being pked alot ( everyday) to almost never being pked now and i mostly solo. learn the tricks of being self reliant and it can be fun and rewarding.

my two cents

Degamra

Post by Degamra »

Most PKs here are helpless to a quick Razor recall macro. I am incredibly bad at PvP and I really don't die that much because it's so easy to recall away in this era.

That being said, I can't help but feel you are trolling us. You could have learned 100x more about the shard if you were actually playing instead of posting here.

Is there griefing? Yes.
Are there people willing to help? Yes.
Is this one of the most, if not the most, populated UO shards? Yes.

Just start playing. Quit if you want. Your bank will be there if/when you return.

Dolamar

Post by Dolamar »

I played for a short while "way back in the past." I' was very happy to find this shard. It's the UO at it's best before it turned nutty. I'm a solo pvm, vendor play style, and in the 3 week I've been playing here I've been murdered once and dry phuck murdered and looted once.

Like someone else advised, just log-in, give it a run, and decide. I really don't think you need to worry about constant griefing, or constant murders. As a solo player, I enjoy the shard very much and will become a donar after week (4).

Sooo... stfu and play my friend. :)

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Most of the time you get PK'd here, it's because you're not paying attention. It just isn't that hard to escape.

Feenicks

Post by Feenicks »

Budner wrote:Most of the time you get PK'd here, it's because you're not paying attention. It just isn't that hard to escape.
I second this. I've been playing around a year. I mostly play on my own and rarely hang around in town unless I'm macroing. I've died a few times as a result of being afk in town but can only remember being killeed by a pk once and that was my fault as I had no recall macro on that particular char. I've seen PK's on a moderately frequent basis but like Budner says, I've found it surprisingly easy to get away.

I have found this server to be a well populated, era accurate blast from the past and I can fully recommend it.

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

As always I'm late to the party :D

Great community...just like back in the day....there's a lot of nice people you can't trust based on the color of thier name...just like back in the day!

In my short 4 mos here I've been PK'd by Blues who drylooted and I've been attacked by Reds that have either redlined me and left or ressed me after.

There are a lot of griefers here...there are a lot of helpful people here too.

I haven't found anything yet I haven't been able to overcome or work around by adjusting playstyle and tactics.

I haven't met anyone here yet who joined because they like being PK'd or griefed...

:)
oOOoOoo Ooo Oo OOoOoo oOo

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

GeistSR wrote: If you don't care enough to defend your goods, you shouldn't care so much about losing them either. You will lose sometimes, but would you play a game that you knew you could never lose? What makes this game great is that failure has consequences, making your victories all the sweeter.

My advice is to give the shard an honest chance, try to get to know some people, maybe join a guild. Getting started isn't nearly as hard as you seem to believe, even without outside help, and there's plenty of folks who actively seek out new players to get them up to speed.
This!

Well said. I'm here since mid-February, but only played about 2 of those months. In all honesty, I haven't delved into PVP too much yet, instead just have a couple warriors for hunting and a couple crafters to cloth those hunters. Working up about 12 different chars because.. well, that's what I like to do when I play UO :D

Let's put it this way: if you go to dungeons alone, you are going to get PK'd. So, do something else then (i.e. hunt elsewhere; hunt in a group). If you hang out in West Brit Bank or to a lesser extent Minoc & Vesper banks, there are a few thieves. I've found it's not difficult to avoid them..

I don't know what you're here to do. Regardless, you're going to get killed, it's part of the game - always has been. Do your best to learn what the PKs do here, and then avoid 'em. I haven't been PKd since end of February. It's just.. not that difficult to not get PK'd. Griefing is a non-issue.

I should add: I really, really like it here. I've met some great people. It's really the first time in several attempts over the past decade where I feel like it's 1999 again :D
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next