Who Runs the Server these days

Topics related to Second Age
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Who Runs the Server these days

Post by chumbucket »

There is something of a learning curve, but it isn't that bad especially if you can get a decent size group going. Even players completely new to UO can pick it up quickly and with minimum frustration with only a little bit of guidance (e.g., tell them not to go to Brit GY!).

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

chumbucket wrote:There is something of a learning curve, but it isn't that bad especially if you can get a decent size group going. Even players completely new to UO can pick it up quickly and with minimum frustration with only a little bit of guidance (e.g., tell them not to go to Brit GY!).
QFT.

This is not a kind server, however, this was simply not a kind era. If you want them to experience UO as close to what it was at its peak; this is it. You pretty much can't get better than this -- and learning the interface is much better handled with action involving an element of surprise.

A guild of 300 would have no problems getting themselves established quickly here, and if they all stuck it out they could be a great boost to the server population.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.

SDA_Slaine

Post by SDA_Slaine »

Hi Blaise, believe me I spent a few days trying to get it just a basic RunUO server up, I just couldn't get the character to log in; it kept going back to the character creation screen >< so I gave up, and will not deny I am clueless lol. Which is why I said to rent one - I have no interest in the mechanics only the final product. And if it was rented and hosted by Derrick I would see any of the code etc.. would I?

If you guys think its an unlikely prospect then I will have to find an alternative solution to introducing these guys to UO.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

chumbucket wrote:There is something of a learning curve, but it isn't that bad especially if you can get a decent size group going. Even players completely new to UO can pick it up quickly and with minimum frustration with only a little bit of guidance (e.g., tell them not to go to Brit GY!).
Plankton is right. With the sheer number of people you propose to have wanting to play, you guys could undoubtedly start up and master the basics fairly quickly. Any interference would affect you little as if you only had about twenty people in a guild helping each other, you will quickly rise thru the ranks and thrive here.
If you bring that much people to play, you guys could 'change' the culture of the shard yourself without any access to intimate coding details.

In short: Just log in and play! Mine as well try it out to see if it can accommodate you and your friends.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

SDA_Slaine

Post by SDA_Slaine »

Oh I played here before. Donated to Derrick on paypal etc... Got a keep (which my daughter failed to refresh while I was away with work and returned to having lost everything hehe) Kind lost interest in the game for a while, but cant keep a true UO player down for long hey :D I even activated 4 of my 7 real UO accounts, just prior to the High Seas Expansion, made 4 GM fishermen, fished up 30,000+ mibs, flooded the market and unfortunately kind of ruined how rare the new rares were supposed to be :( that was not my intention of course; I was just trying to make millions in order to buy a castle. Made about 35 million, but still couldnt get anyone to sell me a castle lol.

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

SDA_Slaine: the short and the long of it is I expect that the response to this will be a firm 'no' from Derrick. The reason everyone is emphatically pushing the 'just log in and play' direction, is you're grossly underestimating what a guild of 30, much less 300, could do on this shard. You have to realize; thats nearly half the typical population logged into this shard at peak times. Any negativity you might experience would be at worst an annoyance, and at best a learning experience for your newbies.

Just log in and play! :)

Emforcer92

Post by Emforcer92 »

SDA_Slaine wrote: I don't want to bring them to this 2nd age shard (even though I know it to be brilliant) it is no place for people who have never even seen the UO UI. I did think to create a server myself, but I have neither the time nor the expertise. If I can get Derrick to sell/rent me a server (set up to this shards specs/accuracy) and can nurture some of these players on a private server, away from all those nasty PK's :D then they may experience what we did way back in 1997. I still rate UO to be the best MMO of all time, and I want these guys to savour it too.
Not sure which UO you played back then, as i have seen ALOT more PKs than now. Ok, alot more Anti's too ... so bring your 300 People here, we need them! :)
Sengo Muramasa 千子 村正 Armory at Trinny Stone Vendors!
GM Armor (many Colors), GM Weapons, GM Bows, Arrows/Bolts

Click>Trinny Stone Vendors
@ Trinsic Moongate

SDA_Slaine

Post by SDA_Slaine »

I played on Europa for 3 years from 1997 to 2000. Stopped because I was in the Navy and went on deployment for a few years. So I mothballed my accounts. Was a full ten years before I returned. It was spooky going to the stables and saying Claim and all my dragons and mounts where still in the stables! Thats some good continuity :D

Faust

Post by Faust »

What we need is an alternative to applying patches.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

corruption42 wrote: QFT.

This is not a kind server, however, this was simply not a kind era.
I disagree. The "era" was very kind. There were great people everywhere. When you saw someone outside of town, you did not have any need to immediately take off running like you do on UOSA. Not everyone was out to scam you. There were so many casual players that just wanted to have a good time, that it made for a more realistic world in-era. This is not the case on UOSA of course, largely due to the remaining demograph that still plays the game.

Emforcer92

Post by Emforcer92 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:

I disagree. The "era" was very kind. There were great people everywhere. When you saw someone outside of town, you did not have any need to immediately take off running like you do on UOSA. Not everyone was out to scam you. There were so many casual players that just wanted to have a good time, that it made for a more realistic world in-era. This is not the case on UOSA of course, largely due to the remaining demograph that still plays the game.
Thinking back ... So very true!
We need more Gamers that never played UO before (or only casual back then).

A lot of people play those crappy "Free to Play" Games these Days (that mostly aren't really free after all), so i wonder how we can get more of them to play UO instead? Unfortunately I suck at advertising or Social Media, so all I could do was inviting old UO Friends so far ...
Sengo Muramasa 千子 村正 Armory at Trinny Stone Vendors!
GM Armor (many Colors), GM Weapons, GM Bows, Arrows/Bolts

Click>Trinny Stone Vendors
@ Trinsic Moongate

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

If anyone is willing to take up a customer service role for this server, I would be willing to advertise. I've had my teams and events sponsored by several large companies before. I figured I'd namedrop Bitcoin in it's first stages since there's a big thread about them on the forums.

Edit: By customer service role I mean a part time job with a low success rate since it'd be targeting high numbers.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I disagree. If someone didn't help me when I joined the shard, I would have quit instantly. Too much grief for too little payout. Think of a drug user who sees no success at the end of any road they take.

Yes, I know there is NEW. But NEW doesn't work for A-type personalities, which is clearly the majority of this shard.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:

This is true; and I won't disagree with your points. However -- thats really more an effect of the percentages of people playing. It was as much that there was a genuine resistance to the un-kindness in era, which doesn't really seem to exist at a high level here. That didn't change the fact that it was not a kind era; this was the era of housing break-in exploits, and ultimately what led to enough 'bloodshed' to point roads to Trammel. If it was a kind era, we'd likely all still be on OSI to this day, because the future changes which most of us feel ruined the game came because of this era.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't want a kind and friendly world. I like having to squeak out a living against the odds; thats a big part of the draw to UO for myself. But thats why I chose to re-start on this shard and not one of the many others; the changes that came later added too much forced kindness (or the elimination of naughty possibilities) which in turn limits the possible gaming choices.

Newguy

Post by Newguy »

This server is full of thieves and murderers.The only player to have a conversation with me in two weeks of play wanted to give me a free chest,and yes of course it blew up and killed me.Maybe ive been unlucky but i don't see alot of players talking,most are running so they aren't ripped off in town or murdered out of town.I enjoy the grind and crafting so i still play every day,but i do remember how it used to be.Players used to chase criminals away and helped each other.There was always a line to a blacksmith willing to repair your gear for tips, and you trusted him to hand it back to you.I think the 300 player guild would be a godsend for this server.