Young Player System Poll

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should we implement the Young Player Status system?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 36

Xukluk Tuguznal

Re: While we are suggesting stuff for Era Accuracy.....

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

From a Logical standpoint.

Young status goes better with UO when it is Fel only. It's pointless in a tram setting. Plus advance players have the choice when they come in to renounce the status so it isn't hindering anyone.

The only viable reason I can see anyone arguing with this is cause they like pking newbies. Not saying that you do just saying it would be the only good argument lol, and not even a good one to think of it.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There are also possible abuse scenarios that could be bad for the server. A great example of this would be someone using a young player to horde gold while farming. All they would have to do is drop the gold for the young player to pick it up for safe keeping. This way no one would be able to kill their "mobile" bank account. This type of behavior would eventually end for people due to the played hours removing the young status of course. However, the possibility of abuse does exist and needs to be taken into consideration too.

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:From a Logical standpoint.

Young status goes better with UO when it is Fel only. It's pointless in a tram setting. Plus advance players have the choice when they come in to renounce the status so it isn't hindering anyone.

The only viable reason I can see anyone arguing with this is cause they like pking newbies. Not saying that you do just saying it would be the only good argument lol, and not even a good one to think of it.
I never once said I was logical! :)

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Faust wrote:There are also possible abuse scenarios that could be bad for the server. A great example of this would be someone using a young player to horde gold while farming. All they would have to do is drop the gold for the young player to pick it up for safe keeping. This way no one would be able to kill their "mobile" bank account. This type of behavior would eventually end for people due to the played hours removing the young status of course. However, the possibility of abuse does exist and needs to be taken into consideration too.
Good point. I think, there should possibly be a time limit or something for young, set on all accounts per ip?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

I agree with hemp. to reduce the risk of this abuse just put a time limit on the ip. If some one creates a young player, then loses that due whatever the reason is (they hit their skill points, the time, whatever it may be), they could just as easily create another "young" player on one of their other accounts, to avoid this just create an extended timer on that ip from their first "young" player. example being 15 days after their first young player is created once that 15 mark is up they can no longer have young players...or use whatever amount of time for that.

Ralina

Post by Ralina »

first off once a young player status is applied to one account it can never be applied again ....

DOES NOT REPEATEDLY GIVE YOU A YOUNG PLAYER STATUS ON ALL CHARCTERS EVEN IF YOU DELET AND MAKE MORE !..ONLY GIVES IT ONCE IN THE WHOLE ACCOUNT .

as with anything that has been corrected or entered in there is always room for abuse ...however its quickly solved as time runs out
Populus amo Onslaught planto gaming usus of uo horrendus quod volo is has suus mares rutila sursum suus ass!!!

Feldar

Re: Young Player System Poll

Post by Feldar »

well i think the young player staus is a great idea..

to the pk's that only pray on noobs is itreally that fun to kill a 60 stre player for what 40-70 gp and maybe a bone chest? :roll:

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Hemperor wrote:To be honest I wouldn't mind a young player system, something to help get new players off their feet, players that no one should be killing anyways.

It is also extremely accurate, majority of this shard is from later patches.
PRetty fucking funny you say this since you kill more new players (Tamers and miners) then anyone on this shard.

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok »

I know this shard is all about era accuracy, but I am generally disinclined toward systems designed to favor a lack of experience and/or sense via game rules. I tend to believe that a shard's culture (as relates to newbies or otherwise) ought to be defined by its playerbase... NOT by its rule set. Attempting to steer that culture is as much a part of the game for me as every other part of the game (even though I've always sucked at it).

Personally, I think getting PKed a few times when you start out is part of the experience. And I really like the idea of, once I've got my PvP skills up, attempting (emphasis on "attempting") to deal with any excessive level IN-GAME, and not via a rules change.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Tarvok wrote:I know this shard is all about era accuracy, but I am generally disinclined toward systems designed to favor a lack of experience and/or sense via game rules. I tend to believe that a shard's culture (as relates to newbies or otherwise) ought to be defined by its playerbase... NOT by its rule set. Attempting to steer that culture is as much a part of the game for me as every other part of the game (even though I've always sucked at it).

Personally, I think getting PKed a few times when you start out is part of the experience. And I really like the idea of, once I've got my PvP skills up, attempting (emphasis on "attempting") to deal with any excessive level IN-GAME, and not via a rules change.
This is a great point. HOWEVER, there are quite a few reds here that are red just for the sake of looking badass. I'd say 80% of the reds here are below average pvpers that get their asses handed to them by any decent fighter, so they pink on unequipped newbs, half the time in ganks. This has never stopped, only getting worse, and yes it is up to some strong blues to stand up...but I think mainly due to so many accounts and characters, no one really has "RED" or "BLUE" role here...majority of the players do both.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I voted no because I think that the young player system is not in the spirit of T2A or what UO used to be.

The young player system is only gonna make new players soft and less likely to cope well with their first pk related death. Newbie items are blessed so any new player who wants a look around can already do so without losing anything. All the young system will do is appease a minority who are complaining about nothing.

Yes, newbies may quit after they die but if they quit after dying once or twice they probably wouldn't last long in T2A anyway (young player system or not). The shard population is absolutely fine and there is no need for this change.