Five Years of Ultima Online: The Second Age (200k+ contest)

Topics related to Second Age
Drunk Monk

Re: Five Years of Ultima Online: The Second Age (100k conte

Post by Drunk Monk »

The invasions of Minoc, Cove, and Vesper that led to URK's demise was epic. At peak we had nearly 30 orcs ripping shit up in Cove plus our NPC brethren. Never breaking character, always trying to be a comic relief while still killing people (and being slaughtered) was an honor here. We never aimed to be l33t pvpers... We brought a smarter, more interactive monster to hunt. Or be hunted by.

So many great memories: Kraruug, who slaughtered humans and took us down a bloodthirsty path. Ne'rull polymorphing into a chicken at WBB on Thanksgiving running around spamming "gobble gobble" leading humans into a stealth archer trap. Krothu making a candle light dinner for some newbie tamer at Compassion Shrine. Makeshift "forts" outside dungeons composed of logs and gnarled staffs. Orcish tolls and roadblocks... And the infamous "gib trybute."

We had a blast raiding Windermere, C^V, and DG (got some major Josh Lee rage from his Mad Max persona). Thank you to all the guilds and people who we killed, made laugh, or simply died to.
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” -Albert Pike

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I am an ass for not mentioning all the awesome times we had fighting the URKs. Even the time one managed to stealth into my keep and I chased him around inside for a few minutes before he got to the roof and logged out and back in, to get outside again.

LOL

Then of all things, being the noble warrior that I am, my son joined them! I almost cried....laughing my ass off, the night my boy called his old man a 'stupid ummie'.

I miss you guys!
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

I remember when I had just completed a tank mage fighting r- and Luca Blight in the GY and getting my ass kicked, I also remember getting stormed by Handsome Bob, Brother Xavier, Dennis Leary and one more Mongoose I think relentlessly at Lich Lords, good times, I must have PMed Derrick accusing of SPEED HAX about 100 times. I also remember being in sTo with Josh Lee and friends in the patio north of brit GY for a long time, those were the golden days, I loved dressing up my vendors and killing r- with a giant mob of half built noobs. Thanks to all the players that have made this fun to me, (yes this also includes all the guys in TG), ACE, cA, UoH, -3-, ROB, PoD, TB, M-S a.k.a SCB.

Cheers to five great years and many more to come!
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

To be honest I think that the policy of era accuracy has a half life/mid point, where it starts to become a weakness.
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

best memories are.

1. i pmed staff because i tought matron got a rune marked under my bed (my first two weeks) and the staff made fun of me when i was seriously pissed lol.

2. PoD Pirating, RiP Deathgates und all the events kaivan stole us!.
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

I remember placing twin towers behind Matron's tower and purposely building one of the largest in-house sheep farms ever just to mess with Matron. There was nothing in those towers but sheep and boxes to pen them in. That was funny stuff. :lol:

I'm not sure that Matron appreciated the humor, though.

viewtopic.php?p=227528#p227528
Special Projects Minion.

Elph

Post by Elph »

Alex21 wrote:To be honest I think that the policy of era accuracy has a half life/mid point, where it starts to become a weakness.

I would have agreed with you, but after thinking about it, this shard is something special due to the policy of era accuracy. Other shards just rehash this game in a hundred different ways, this shard is historic.

In the massive number of UO freeshards that have risen and fallen, this one has something different that none of them have ever seriously had. If someone were to research the history of the MMORPG, and did research on Ultima Online, they could very well mention this place as something that has lasted. It's a place that recreates a very specific time in Ultima, one which no other game comes close to duplicating.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Elph wrote:
Alex21 wrote:To be honest I think that the policy of era accuracy has a half life/mid point, where it starts to become a weakness.

I would have agreed with you, but after thinking about it, this shard is something special due to the policy of era accuracy. Other shards just rehash this game in a hundred different ways, this shard is historic.

In the massive number of UO freeshards that have risen and fallen, this one has something different that none of them have ever seriously had. If someone were to research the history of the MMORPG, and did research on Ultima Online, they could very well mention this place as something that has lasted. It's a place that recreates a very specific time in Ultima, one which no other game comes close to duplicating.
Yeah, I don't really have a problem with any of the cogs and wheels of in game mechanics. But when things like frequent events get taken out I become a bit sad. I for one miss the days when there would be an invasion every second weekend and some sort of staff organised role playing things like a bank robbery with a series of clues to find the perpetrator or a rise in the population of a particular creature in a given dungeon.
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Jupiter

Re: Five Years of Ultima Online: The Second Age (200k+ cont

Post by Jupiter »

Best experiences:

Most recently the work at Paws has been some of the most fun I've had. The old' gypsy who is restoring that town is doing a tremendous job.Village of Paws forum

The Guantlet! Best fun imaginable and truly one of the only worthwhile things i've done with any of the gold/nightmares i've acquired

The Mysterious Reeve's Manor! (part1)
The Mysterious reeve's manor! (part2)
Seriously the guy who set up this Keep did an AMAZING job setting up this maze. I was just honored to write the 'storyline' event. Seriously it was amazing to see how many people traveled through this maze!

Travels with A^T (Adventure Time)
Seriously some of the only true 'dungeon' crawling experience

Populus

Post by Populus »

I can't believe how long I've played UO. I started out on this shard to play with some leetpvprs from tDC (Europa -99), everyone macroed up their characters and then never logged back on. Even though at the time the pvp was flourishing.
At the time I had nothing better to do than play wizard games all day, everyday. But it sucked to play alone, so I left, let my houses drop and didn't care all too much. A week or so later I was reading the forums and read one of chumbuckets' ToA, it seemed like a lot of fun. So I went out and started doing mischief and hey what do you know, it's absolufuckenlarious!
The greatest pleasure in UO is not knowing you are better than someone, it's knowing that somewhere, tomorrow morning, someone's going to punch a hole in the wall over thousands of pixels missing from their virtual containers.
All the meanwhile I focus mainly on competition and winning, UO has been my best gaming experience.

I love cA, I wouldn't leave cA for every pixel on the shard. Special shoutouts to MatronDeWinter and Lelouche for giving me the pleasure of griefing together with them. Also shoutout to applejack because he's a very very old man playing a very very old game. He's the cA antique.

There are too many memorable moments from UOSA that I can't decide which one is 'the best'.
The $$$ 'war' was amazing.
>>---> hunts, especially the two weeks when we took out Tabius, Wise and Darkwing. (I had bodyparts from everyone, also Derrick, chumbucket and MatronDeWinter. But Telamon looted those from house when I accidently let it fall. Needless to say he didn't want to give them back.)
Every encounter with the orcs was memorable. The night when Matron and I claimed the bloodrock fort was hilarious. (Orcs still haven't fought us to claim it back!) Shoutout to Ne'rull, coolest orc of them all, most swag modern times YOLO.

There are more moments, I will get back to them.

I don't have any gold to donate to this event, but I do have this - http://i.imgur.com/9PVyD.png
Sorry I can't tell you what level the maps are, all of this has been looted and/or scammed to end up in my hands. I actually roleplayed a girl to get like 10+ of those MIBs.
Man is it easy to get free stuff if you are a girl.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Bee

Post by Bee »

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with any of the cogs and wheels of in game mechanics. But when things like frequent events get taken out I become a bit sad. I for one miss the days when there would be an invasion every second weekend and some sort of staff organised role playing things like a bank robbery with a series of clues to find the perpetrator or a rise in the population of a particular creature in a given dungeon.[/quote]

You say you miss all of the events that used to go on, and a lot of the server agrees with you. But my question to everyone that has that complaint is simple.

Would you still attend all of the events if there was no reward for winning? No trophys, no silver , nothing but an announcement that ( insert name here) won the tournament.??

If the answer is no, then you have nothing at all to complain about because the truth of the matter is you only attended because of the reward, not the in game interaction.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Bee wrote:Yeah, I don't really have a problem with any of the cogs and wheels of in game mechanics. But when things like frequent events get taken out I become a bit sad. I for one miss the days when there would be an invasion every second weekend and some sort of staff organised role playing things like a bank robbery with a series of clues to find the perpetrator or a rise in the population of a particular creature in a given dungeon.

You say you miss all of the events that used to go on, and a lot of the server agrees with you. But my question to everyone that has that complaint is simple.

Would you still attend all of the events if there was no reward for winning? No trophys, no silver , nothing but an announcement that ( insert name here) won the tournament.??

If the answer is no, then you have nothing at all to complain about because the truth of the matter is you only attended because of the reward, not the in game interaction.[/quote]

Not to pick on you specifically, but can we make this thread less a heated discussion of how the shard is ran, a topic for which there are many threads, and more a discussion of what is awesome about UOSA?

Bee

Post by Bee »

I appologize. The shard is great and I love it. I was not arguing about the topic, just rather making a statement to a comment made in this thread. I'll leave it at that.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Bee wrote:I appologize. The shard is great and I love it. I was not arguing about the topic, just rather making a statement to a comment made in this thread. I'll leave it at that.
It's a fine discussion, nothing wrong with it. But let's focus on the five years of PWN.

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by testuseraccount »

Sorry chum, I agree with the first bit; but its the community thats slowly destroying the shard.

Derrick and the staff rocks, but the UOSA community is rotten at its core.