AFK Rare Gathering Not Era-Accurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Wonko the Sane

Re: AFK Rare Gathering Not Era-Accurate

Post by Wonko the Sane »

A rare is a resource like any other and afk gathering of it should fall under existing rules.

Brules

Post by Brules »

It's an item. A resource is something that can be used to make something else or do something and be consumed after said use.

/cry more tears

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Most of these items were a LOT LOT more rare on OSI. Also the spawn is nowhere near accurate to the Catskills shard I played on. I assume the spawning points varied on most shards. Therefore, you could spawn them pretty much anywhere and be era accurate, since we are our own shard, and are not confined to the constraints of one single shard. Therefore I propose that there be a major change to the spawning rares locations. I propose that the spawning rares spawn on their current timers, however, they spawn anywhere in the entire world. This would be fairly easy to do. This way, these items which are jokingly called rares, actually become RARE. It adds another element of fun and excitement in game while people try and find them, and also makes it impossible to afk gather them.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Brules wrote:It's an item. A resource is something that can be used to make something else or do something and be consumed after said use.

/cry more tears
Whether it is a resource or an item is irrelevant...the Process of Gathering them AFK is not Era-Accurate. The fact that its is yet another bot not actually playing the game is irrelevant. Though, I find it interesting that you support AFK'ing the game, Brules. :wink:
Stranger wrote:Also the spawn is nowhere near accurate to the Catskills shard I played on. I assume the spawning points varied on most shards.
There are several Rare Spawns that aren't the same as they were on OSI, or are just missing in general. There was a Large Vase, with the handles, that spawned in the storeroom/daemon room in Hythloth Dungeon that does not seem to spawn here. There were also Tarot Cards that, if you removed all the books from a certain book case in Moonglow prior to serverup, would spawn...but they are either in a location unknown to me or do not spawn. As it is I think the only way to get Tarot Cards is through the silver system. The bookcase in question on this server does not even have books in it, or Tarot Cards at server up.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Light Shade wrote:
Brules wrote:It's an item. A resource is something that can be used to make something else or do something and be consumed after said use.

/cry more tears
Whether it is a resource or an item is irrelevant...the Process of Gathering them AFK is not Era-Accurate. The fact that its is yet another bot not actually playing the game is irrelevant. Though, I find it interesting that you support AFK'ing the game, Brules. :wink:
Stranger wrote:Also the spawn is nowhere near accurate to the Catskills shard I played on. I assume the spawning points varied on most shards.
There are several Rare Spawns that aren't the same as they were on OSI, or are just missing in general. There was a Large Vase, with the handles, that spawned in the storeroom/daemon room in Hythloth Dungeon that does not seem to spawn here. There were also Tarot Cards that, if you removed all the books from a certain book case in Moonglow prior to serverup, would spawn...but they are either in a location unknown to me or do not spawn. As it is I think the only way to get Tarot Cards is through the silver system. The bookcase in question on this server does not even have books in it, or Tarot Cards at server up.

-L/S
The large rock spawned at bucs den on catskills, I got it several times at server up. Empty jars spawned behind a bookshelf in ocllo, you actually had to grab the bookshelf and move it aside real quick and grab the jars before it popped back. And the full fruit basket spawned on a table in a building in yew. Those were the only ones I went after several times and can remember the locations.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

/cry more tears
Weak argument. Gathering resources should be illegal because they can later be made into items, however just gathering items (of FAR greater value) and skipping the whole crafting process is fine?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Hemperor wrote:

/cry more tears
Weak argument. Gathering resources should be illegal because they can later be made into items, however just gathering items (of FAR greater value) and skipping the whole crafting process is fine?
Indeed.

In case people still don't get just how detrimental AFK Rare Gathering is, here is my own personal database listing chronicaling a 4 month period in AFK Rare Gathering. Yes, I did it in the past. That is how I know full well that allowing it is bad for this shard and the game.

Some hard data for Brules and others to "analyze" here: Rares Spawns

If you think that someone should be able to wake up in the morning, hit play on a macro, and walk away....and get that kind of reward (the link above) then I guess the way we have things now is okay. If you think its wrong and needs to be changed, let everyone know about it!

-L/S

Sultan of Swing

Post by Sultan of Swing »

Light Shade wrote:
Hemperor wrote:

/cry more tears
Indeed.

In case people still don't get just how detrimental AFK Rare Gathering is, here is my own personal database listing chronicaling a 4 month period in AFK Rare Gathering. Yes, I did it in the past. That is how I know full well that allowing it is bad for this shard and the game.

If you think that someone should be able to wake up in the morning, hit play on a macro, and walk away....and get that kind of reward (the link above) then I guess the way we have things now is okay. If you think its wrong and needs to be changed, let everyone know about it!

-L/S
nice to see some hard stats,
did you obtain all those items during that period?? - sorry if ive totally misread your list
what you reckon the rough market value of what you gathered in this time was?

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Light Shade wrote:
Hemperor wrote:

/cry more tears
Indeed.

-L/S
No offense but, never saw you complain about it until your guide on how to do it was made public, and you no longer had all the spoils to yourself. It would have been in the best interest of the shard for you not to have farmed those massive amounts of rares using said methods. I find it a bit ironic that you have exploited this method for quite sometime, but now that its out for everyone to use you no longer want it to be allowed.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Stranger wrote:
Light Shade wrote:
Hemperor wrote:

/cry more tears
Indeed.

-L/S
No offense but, never saw you complain about it until your guide on how to do it was made public, and you no longer had all the spoils to yourself. It would have been in the best interest of the shard for you not to have farmed those massive amounts of rares using said methods. I find it a bit ironic that you have exploited this method for quite sometime, but now that its out for everyone to use you no longer want it to be allowed.
Agreed, I wasn't even aware of this... Slightly off-topic, but as a community we should stop buying crafts and even rares from the known exploiters... There are a handful of people playing AFK 98% of the time and I thin they are well known at this point, let's just forget about them entirely (no interaction :) ) until we can get a real solution to this. Constant public humiliation and ridicule also helps.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While I agree that this is an issue we should be working on mainly for mechanical accuracy reasons, I would like to note that collecting rares is not defined as AFK resource gathering. They cannot be sold to a vendor, nor can they be crafted once gathered and sold in the same way. The only thing that these items enable is the transfer of wealth between players, which is strictly controlled by the desire and willingness of players to pay for such items.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kaivan wrote:While I agree that this is an issue we should be working on mainly for mechanical accuracy reasons, I would like to note that collecting rares is not defined as AFK resource gathering. They cannot be sold to a vendor, nor can they be crafted once gathered and sold in the same way. The only thing that these items enable is the transfer of wealth between players, which is strictly controlled by the desire and willingness of players to pay for such items.
This is pretty silly... No one is selling ingots by the 60k stack to vendors. People, however, are selling scrolls 'legally' to make money while they sleep.

The rules in action seem very sloppy and inconsistant.

EDIT: Although I do recognise your point of "something for nothing", the issue isn't gold inflation because vendors actually give out very little gold. The issue is a screwed up market and many aspects of the game becoming fully automated.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Hemperor wrote:
Kaivan wrote:While I agree that this is an issue we should be working on mainly for mechanical accuracy reasons, I would like to note that collecting rares is not defined as AFK resource gathering. They cannot be sold to a vendor, nor can they be crafted once gathered and sold in the same way. The only thing that these items enable is the transfer of wealth between players, which is strictly controlled by the desire and willingness of players to pay for such items.
This is pretty silly... No one is selling ingots by the 60k stack to vendors. People, however, are selling scrolls 'legally' to make money while they sleep.

The rules in action seem very sloppy and inconsistant.

EDIT: Although I do recognise your point of "something for nothing", the issue isn't gold inflation because vendors actually give out very little gold. The issue is a screwed up market and many aspects of the game becoming fully automated.
We've clarified our rules to point out that the scroll selling, when fully automated, is not allowed. Beyond that, there is a good reason why players aren't selling huge stacks of ingots to vendors, we don't allow players to acquire them AFK in the first place.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

With one small exception this is true. Beads, among the least valuable of the semi-rare items, can be sold to vendors.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Stranger wrote:No offense but, never saw you complain about it until your guide on how to do it was made public, and you no longer had all the spoils to yourself. It would have been in the best interest of the shard for you not to have farmed those massive amounts of rares using said methods. I find it a bit ironic that you have exploited this method for quite sometime, but now that its out for everyone to use you no longer want it to be allowed.
If you knew better, you would know that I stopped going for the rares well over a month before that guide was leaked.

After it was leaked, I did hope that people would see how broken the system was and it would get fixed. Unfortunately, people saw how broken the system was and hoped to exploit it.

As many can attest to, I continually hand out these rares at events for prizes.

Let's keep this thread on track, though, as this has nothing to do with the actual policy decisions and era accuracy.

-L/S
Last edited by Light Shade on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.