Poison in tournaments

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

should poisoning and poison spell be allowed in tournament.

yes
70%
no
30%

Total votes: 10

Faust

Re: Poison in tournaments

Post by Faust »

I'll leave my opinion and leave it at that. I'm quite sick of reading all this back and forth bickering about this topic.

I'll first start off by saying this poll is obviously bias. The options according to this poll essentially says to either add poisoning skill or remove the poison spell. In the end both of these results are simply trying to implement a handicap against a mage to suffice making your opinion for dexers to become stronger. So the "leave it as it is option" actually does not exist. Your post also suggests that the poisoning skill and spell is one in the same. How can you say they are the same when in fact they are not? The poisoning spell is only level 1 or 2 potency depending on magery. The poisoning skill goes all the way up to level 4. That right there tells you that they both are not. The spell takes mana and the skill does not. In a tournament scenario that means poisoning skill will essentially be free without any penalties on mana, regs, potions, etc... and yet still be able to put out 10x more damage than the spell. Grant it that the skill will take up a slot for a dexer, however a standard dexer template has the room to do this already unlike a mage.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

there was no 'system' but there were deffinately standard duel rules
anyone who pvped during era would know these
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Faust wrote:I'll leave my opinion and leave it at that. I'm quite sick of reading all this back and forth bickering about this topic.

I'll first start off by saying this poll is obviously bias. The options according to this poll essentially says to either add poisoning skill or remove the poison spell. In the end both of these results are simply trying to implement a handicap against a mage to suffice making your opinion for dexers to become stronger. So the "leave it as it is option" actually does not exist. Your post also suggests that the poisoning skill and spell is one in the same. How can you say they are the same when in fact they are not? The poisoning spell is only level 1 or 2 potency depending on magery. The poisoning skill goes all the way up to level 4. That right there tells you that they both are not. The spell takes mana and the skill does not. In a tournament scenario that means poisoning skill will essentially be free without any penalties on mana, regs, potions, etc... and yet still be able to put out 10x more damage than the spell. Grant it that the skill will take up a slot for a dexer, however a standard dexer template has the room to do this already unlike a mage.
Ill concede that both polls have bias. Since both creators of the polls are on opposite ends of the issue and largely immature. I suggested previously a third party create a new unbiased poll.

I agree There should be no handicaps placed on any chars, including mages. Taking away poison spell is silly.

I agree that the poison spell versus the poison skill are both different in levels of damage and mana requirement.

However you are wrong in saying that poison skill in fact is free. Poison is a skill with a timer, like mediation. You cannot use poison but after a set timer. This means you can fail. This also means you have to choose what to poison first.

Additionally you are wrong to claim a dexer has "room" to pick up poison. Not sure what you mean.

PS you would have to poison ON the field, not bring in poisoned weps. Are people clear on this?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

arguements over
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

I'm clear on this whole discussion. I've read the entire thing just about and it has simply sicken me with all the bickering.

I'll explain the standard templates.

Dexer:
Combat skill
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy
Magery
Resist
One additional option available

Mage:
Comabat skill
Tactics
Magery
Eval
Meditation
Resist
Wrestling

These are standard templates for both types of characters. As you can see a dexer always has one additional option open for an extra skill unlike a mage. This typically is hiding or possibly a hybrid mage skill if they chose that route. In your case it would be poisoning.

All a dexer has to do is setup a hotkey macro in razor to poison a weapon before the wall falls or even during the fight. There are around 15 or so charges applied to a weapon. That 10 second skill delay means absolutely nothing in rendering it being a problem.

The field fight arguement is pointless. I've already cleared that up a billion posts ago. This is a t2a shard. We use the standard rulesets that were set up during that particular era. This is no magic weapons, no poisoned weapons, and no pots. I would like no prep healing and paralyze to be added to this list since it was a common rule back than also. However, some shards like Pac used para for some reason.

Also, on a side note. I don't know if this is a typical situation, but there was a tournament without restrictions a couple days ago. I'm not positive if this is something new or a particular day that it was toggled, but that is the only way I can see something like this ever happening. This would be another type of tournament in place that allows anything goes.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

thanks for clearing it all up.

those silly west siders and there para :)

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Eh, its always been my belief that the more rules and limits the make the more you are shaping an event to fit your 'play style' and as such a play style that can be won.

If someone sucks at or is unable to defeat a thief dexxer, then they make the rules of the tournaments to not allow thieves. Then they can claim they are skilled and that they are following standard rules and thieves are just noobs.

Just to be clear, I don't care about tournaments, I don't do tournaments. But my opinion stands regardless.

And yes, one could argue that if everything is allowed a tamer will just bring tons of dragons. Granted if you bring a dragon its no longer a 1v1 because a dragon is a creature and not an object. Go animal rights!

Anyway, given the fact that people in the tournament only need one of each reg for unlimited use, I can see why stealing is barred. Granted, it takes a lot of skill to play a stealing dexer and snag a mages pearl (all of it) in combat. And it most certainly is a valid pvp template and one that frustrates mages to no end. Hence why, I am sure, the 'standard rules' prohibit it.

Poisoning is another valid pvp skill whether its considered a craft skill or not. There have been a ton of people throughout the years who had poisoning on their pvp template. In a one vs one situation, with no cure potions, poison certainly is over powered and frustrates mages, and hence why the 'standard rules' prohibit it.

Poisoning the spell is just like poisoning the skill. One requires 100 skill points, poison, and a weapon...the other requires 1 night shade and a negligible amount of mana. One has the potential to be more deadly, the other is easy to use. In the end, they are both poison and in a 1v1 situation without cure potions it is over powered. This particular one does not frustrate mages because mages get it, therefore the 'standard rules' allow it.

At any rate, if people want real pvp and don't care about tropheys and uber loot, just stop by the Bloodrock fort. The true test of a pvper is in the field, not in a tournament arena with a rule set that babies people.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock