Poisoning

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Poisoning

Post by Flash Hardstar »

So how do we go abouts applying a level 5 poison to our weapon.. it can be crafted? I've read the thread and if I've missed something sorry, but yes I do not remember hally's being poisoned, and now thinking hard about it no two handed weapons either =/ however I never was a posioner in this era, but I DO remember kats and kryss's being about the only thing you could buy on a vendor dp.. no recolection of a cornicopia of weapons so this may be true...
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Faust

Post by Faust »

A player cannot poison a weapon with a level 5 dose, and this has also been verfied through the poisoning essay on the '99 stratics web site. The only time a level 5 can be created by a player was through tinkering traps.

Red

Post by Red »

Also by being evil, via the hero/evil system. :)
Which of course isn't on this server.

platy

Post by platy »

flash u seem pretty oldschool...
how do you NOT remember DP'd hallies unless you either didn't pvp or had no swords?
i remember the day the stopped allowing 2 handed weps to be poisoned.. it was bullshit
Level 5 poison is only thru traps and the notorious Poison Elemental.. can't be crafted or applied..

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

LOL! I've been trying to remember! but no, I was macing untill about UOR and fencing on the warrior.. not saying they didnt exist just cant personally remember
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Deja vu

Post by Deja vu »

Faust wrote:You are correct about strong doses coming out around the time they implemented poison levels. However, strong doses for poisoning were more on the lines of the pre-t2a era. It was removed during January 1999 with the difficulty based poison skill.
January, 1999
Poisoning is difficulty based. This means, as you get more skilled, you will need to use more powerful potions to increase your skill.
There is no strong dose message. You either fail or succeed. The dose is based on the strength of the potion used. I.E. if you succeed in putting a deadly poison on a blade, the blade will have a deadly poison dosage.
If you fail, there's a chance that you will poison yourself. The poison will be slightly less strong than the dosage you were attempting to use.
ah so there once was level 5 poison from food but it was pre T2A...

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Silverfoot wrote:It always bothered me that you could poison things like halberds and spears here, because I do not remember this from the era. I finally looked this up on the old stratics poisoning essay and it mentions that you can only poison single handed bladed weapons. That goes along with my memory of seeing lots of poisoned katanas and kyrsses around.

Unfortunately, that guide has a last modified date in June 2000, which would have been just after the UO:R era had started, but I remember it being the same way during t2a. I'd like to point out also that the cure potions here are based off of that chart at the bottom of the guide, so we are using it for other era accurate information. :)

My question to those who played in 98/99, do you remember being able to poison halberds, spears and other two-handed weapons?

Edit: I have looked through the patch notes and I have not found anything to suggest that what weapons could be poisoned had been changed, so the guide should be accurate.

You know, I don't remember two handed weapons being able to be poisoned in actual era play either. And to the arguement that 'people just played with bare minimums' was not valid for me. I had GM smiths, alchy, poisioner and always ran with a cache of dped weapons... all of them one handed. (Kryss, daggar, and 10 newbiew daggars.)
Faust wrote:Two handed poisoning was removed with the UOR publish.
Poisoning

You will not be able to heal a poisoned character through any method (healing skill, spells, potions, etc.) until they are first cured of the poison.

All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
Poisoned weapons will corrode unless wiped clean with oil cloth (which will be made by tailors). The more often a poisoned weapon is used before being wiped clean, the more durability it loses. You can only wipe off a blade once it has begun to corrode.
Only one-handed bladed weapons can be poisoned.
Having the poisoning skill will reduce the rate at which a poisoned weapon corrodes. For instance, a deadly poisoned weapon wielded by a character with over 50 poisoning would corrode as if it were greater poison. At over 99 skill, the deadly poison will corrode as if it were only regular poison. This will significantly reduce the rate at which poison corrodes a weapon when wielded by assassins (characters with the poison skill).
Reference: http://update.uo.com/design_196.html
This reference would seem to suggest that it was 'removed' however my view is that it only reiterates the fact that only one handed weapons were the only weapons able to be poisoned previously and there were no changes.

An example of this is right in the posters quote. See the italic bold underlined passage.

Using the logic of the quoted poster, that this patch explains changes, maybe we should allow the healing skill to 'heal' before cure.