Why we need 1 account per IP

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Why we need 1 account per IP

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Not really novel as its been proposed before. The thing is IP's aren't assigned 1 per human they are often shared and plenty of people have access to more than one. It's one of those cases of punishing the people who follow the rules since its not enforceable. I don't recall Derrick's exact response the last 99 times this came up but iirc its that he doesn't like to have rules that can't be adequately enforced.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Malaikat wrote:I've a novel idea...

How about you can keep your three account, but only one can establish a server session at any one time. You'd basically have 15 character slots, but you'd need to log out to access them as if they were all on one account.

I wouldn't think that would be too dreadful to program for, and may be able to be controlled within a firewall or using some other network protocol higher up on the OSI model than the application layer.
Again been proposed before:

This puts those who didn't have access to 3 at the same time at a disadvantage.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Not really novel as its been proposed before. The thing is IP's aren't assigned 1 per human they are often shared and plenty of people have access to more than one. It's one of those cases of punishing the people who follow the rules since its not enforceable. I don't recall Derrick's exact response the last 99 times this came up but iirc its that he doesn't like to have rules that can't be adequately enforced.
You'd need to make special policies or rules (as in firewall rules) to allow for shared IP's.
DrFaustus wrote:
Malaikat wrote: Again been proposed before:

This puts those who didn't have access to 3 at the same time at a disadvantage.
Such is life. You can't hold back from making good changes because of this. You've got to start somewhere, and everyone who "missed" the old way won't really know what they were missing anyhow.

The appeal to UO is that it doesn't matter when you get started or under what parameters because everyone caps at 7x gm anyway. Eventually, everyone will be on even footing.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

morganm

Post by morganm »

How exactly is that guy ruining the game for everyone else?

I really don't understand why THIS example is why it's so bad. I'm not trying to be a jerk here; I seriously don't get why this is so bad and why exactly multiple accounts make this situation worse. I'm not a tamer and don't know what exactly he's doing here (read: why does he need two guys with one guy hiding?)

There are other examples of why multiple accounts is bad (ghosting is another lame tactic!) but why is this example so bad ?
Last edited by morganm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Guerrilla wrote:the dragons would crush the footstool once they move
Wrong. Nothing breaks though footstools. (maybe a Balron, I've never tested a Balron)

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

This will go nowhere. Fact is, not many people would be playing here if they didn't have 3 accounts. You wouldn't have mym, -3-, +-,or any of the other pvp guilds here if you do that and while they are not the life of the server, it takes all kinds of people and you need to cater to those of the "now now now" generation of gaming and adhd.

I agree, 1 account per IP would be a great addition, but to get quality you need quantity as well on free shards.

Paradox
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Paradox »

noxmonk wrote:This will go nowhere. Fact is, not many people would be playing here if they didn't have 3 accounts. You wouldn't have mym, -3-, +-,or any of the other pvp guilds here if you do that and while they are not the life of the server, it takes all kinds of people and you need to cater to those of the "now now now" generation of gaming and adhd.

I agree, 1 account per IP would be a great addition, but to get quality you need quantity as well on free shards.

I got a better idea.

lets just call it Era-Accurate and guerilla can cry in his own self pity.
Thebreadman: i once failed to kill myself... that was until i realised i was already dead

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

I do think 1 account per IP would make the game a lot more fun and interesting for people.

There would be less endless macroing and more playing.

I don't care about the argument that new players would be an a disadvantage, there have been countless "nerfs" since this server opened anyways, and besides it is not that important that one person accumulated millions of gold using his 3 accounts while a new player has to play more legit.

If anything, the bigger issue is that the new player has to face the fact that some players have 15 houses, a ghost in major dungeon hot spots, and multiple red characters to play while the others macro off stat loss or rebuild skills.

The biggest problem with 1 account per IP (besides more admin work for our admins to confirm real people have justification for multiple accounts per IP, which will constantly be exploited), is that our server population will be cut in half.

With less of a server population the server will look less full and lose a little credibility with people interested in joining a T2A accurate server. In T2A there were thousands of players online, not the 400 we will be seeing at peak hours if this rule went into effect.

I would enjoy either play style to be honest. Having 1 account would totally change the game on this server tho, and it would be unfair to people's achievements up to this point because most of us have prized characters spread between 3 accounts.

No real conclusion here, just putting up some 2 cents.
Catskills 97-99

Brules

Post by Brules »

I can't understand why this is even being discussed? It will never change, and in era you could have as many accounts as you wanted to pay for.....I had 4 then 2, but never less than 2. I multi cliented like a mofo.....

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Brules wrote:I can't understand why this is even being discussed? It will never change, and in era you could have as many accounts as you wanted to pay for.....I had 4 then 2, but never less than 2. I multi cliented like a mofo.....
Because guerrilla doesn't approve, that's why.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Sandro wrote:
Brules wrote:I can't understand why this is even being discussed? It will never change, and in era you could have as many accounts as you wanted to pay for.....I had 4 then 2, but never less than 2. I multi cliented like a mofo.....
He rapped about it in vent earlier.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think multiple accounts allows for more diversity otherwise everyone would have cookie cutters, and no just for fun characters made.

Anyone can just as easily build their teams up to play. There is nothing unbalanced to it as far as gameplay goes. The housing issue is another story though. There are alot of houses sitting vacant or being used as placeholders, scam vendors, or otherwise extroting the pricing of housing on the shard.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

It astonishes me that anyone who has played on OSI would ever think we have a housing problem here. You know smalls in horrible locations back in the early to mid 2000's were already going for over a mil? You can buy a keep for under a mil here (though prices are on the rise again, just like this time last year).

Theres literally no impending threat that could spell out this shards doom. We have a stable economy, a stable seasonal player base and the most professional staff on any shard including OSI. Even if the Mayans were right and next year is the end of the world this shard will survive.

http://www.uosecondage.com/Vote

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

noxmonk wrote:This will go nowhere. Fact is, not many people would be playing here if they didn't have 3 accounts. You wouldn't have mym, -3-, +-,or any of the other pvp guilds here if you do that and while they are not the life of the server, it takes all kinds of people and you need to cater to those of the "now now now" generation of gaming and adhd.

i could manage with just 1 account logged in at a time per IP, and tbh, most of the folks in mYm, minus myself and weezy play just one account. Hell marm's comp can't even handle more than one on at a time. So as far as mYm goes- we'd still be around after that change i'm guessing. but anyhow just wanted to kinda correct some that. I can't speak for cr3w or +- cuz i'm not really up there ass about how they play, but there you go. And no I'm not saying I don't play 3 accounts at once- it wouldn't dsuade me from uosa though.

2 cents deposited

Your friendly dragon bombing lame jerk of a person,

Cryo

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

DrFaustus wrote:
Sandro wrote:
He rapped about it in vent earlier.