archery support template

Moderator: Support Moderators

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: archery support template

Post by Mikel123 »

And, as Panthor said, not so useful as an opener either. Compare a 3-second delay to a 0-second delay of targeting an ebolt.

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

well, as a support template it may still have some viability if not just to satisfy my desire to play an archer despite its being smeared into the realm of uselessness. As i have very limited time to play, i will most likely never be without a tank mage and/or dexxer counterpart. i just want to have fun. we'll see, still considering this one...

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

Thanks to everyone for the information. A little disappointed with the outcome. I will have to make due with the era accuracy. i guess it's a small price to pay to play on a shard that is not broken by other game shattering mechanics.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

By all means stick with it. I know a couple of people that love to play archers and have a ton of fun PvM'ing with it.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Breaking news:

You can still use the bow as an opener, and yes it will insta-shot, if you know how to prep it beforehand.

That being said, it still sucks as a companion skill to melee because you cannot readily switch to it and take a kill shot, now will you hit anyone who is moving because it is an automatic miss vs LOS/Range breaks even after you shoot. The biggest problem with archery is that you have to stay planted until the shot hits (at least 1 whole second), and by that time, anyone has already ran up to you and hit you. Essentially you cannot skate people and take shots. It's only saving grace, is the massive amount of damage that a heaxy xbow deals out.

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

right, so to summarize it's only good as an opener on a target that is not moving with purpose due to auto miss variables. To switch back to the bow mid fight is nearly impossible unless I'm on the move and need to turn the tide with another salvo, again using it as an opener.

So what would it be good paired with? if dex does not determine swing speed, would it be ok on a mage?

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

if dex does not effect swing speed, i guess this would much more efficient.

Archery
Swords/maces/eval???
Mage
Med
Resist
Anatomy
Tactics

str 100
dex 25
int 100

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Soulace wrote:if dex does not effect swing speed, i guess this would much more efficient.

Archery
Swords/maces/eval???
Mage
Med
Resist
Anatomy
Tactics

str 100
dex 25
int 100
Dex will probably still affect swing time. Capped can go anyway minimum or maximum. A ten second delay on firing a bow doesn't seem right at all. People are talking amongst themselves Derrick I don't think said anything.

PS you'll probably want wrestling if all you have is magic to heal by
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Dex will probably still affect swing time. Capped can go anyway minimum or maximum. A ten second delay on firing a bow doesn't seem right at all. People are talking amongst themselves Derrick I don't think said anything.
Well that confuses things a bit...does anyone have a definitive answer regarding the relationship between swing speed, and the bow timer?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Soulace wrote:
archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Well that confuses things a bit...does anyone have a definitive answer regarding the relationship between swing speed, and the bow timer?
This is all being looked into and it will affect all weapons not just bows if it gets the go ahead. Without the final word from Derrick you can't get an answer being this is all being scrutinized at the moment.

From my understanding there is an argument that there was a cap to how fast you could swing/fire a weapon no matter how high your stamina is. That there is a top maximum speed to all weapons.
It's still being investigated...and that's where you are now. That doesn't necessarily mean your bow will fire at ten seconds it just means at a certain point your stamina will no longer affect the speed of your weapon further.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

That makes much more sense to be sure. If you were to place a ten second timer on archery, you might as well remove all bows from the world other than heavy x-bows as it would completely nullify their use, which is to fire at a faster speed. Is this discussion on bows being documented on the forums?

Victor Horn

Post by Victor Horn »

I hope they fix archery, it would add another element to the game. I like the idea of playing the lone Archer waiting for the perfect time to strike a Rich Lord wondering carelessly through the forest. Taking the Rich Lords wonderful bounty and giving it to the poor. The poor being me. LOL

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

OK, so...let me summarize how i understand the timer cap...

it is currently set to 5 seconds, which means, you will shoot an arrow somewhere between 1-5 seconds based upon your swing speed, which is determined by bow speed and dex? if you have a low dex and/or a slow bow, you are guaranteed to be able to fire at the 5 second timer, only if you are standing still at the time and the target is in range and not obstructed. The proposed era fix is to change that timer to ten seconds and thus broadening the time it takes to "reload" so a low dex and/or slow bow may take up to ten seconds (as opposed to 5) before the player can fire again. but it could fire sooner than 10 seconds if the dex and bow speed are high.

is this correct???

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Soulace wrote:OK, so...let me summarize how i understand the timer cap...

it is currently set to 5 seconds, which means, you will shoot an arrow somewhere between 1-5 seconds based upon your swing speed, which is determined by bow speed and dex? if you have a low dex and/or a slow bow, you are guaranteed to be able to fire at the 5 second timer, only if you are standing still at the time and the target is in range and not obstructed. The proposed era fix is to change that timer to ten seconds and thus broadening the time it takes to "reload" so a low dex and/or slow bow may take up to ten seconds (as opposed to 5) before the player can fire again. but it could fire sooner than 10 seconds if the dex and bow speed are high.

is this correct???
No, it's slower then that now. Here check out each of these links Derrick gave in this thread for a better understanding of not only weapons/stamina/speed but combat overall

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=443

Soulace

Post by Soulace »

Thanks Archaic, that was helpful. my numbers were hypothetical i know you probably can't shoot a bow every second. I guess my questions lies in the nature of the cap, which i did not find any mention.

This statement here is where i am somewhat confused:
Mikel123 wrote:What he's saying is, currently (previously) the swing rate was capped at 5 seconds. So no matter how low your dex or how slow your weapon, you'd always swing or shoot every 5 seconds.
To totally simplify my question:
I see that low dex and slow weapons fire every 5 seconds...but do high dex and fast weapons fire more quickly than 5 seconds???

The swing speed should be derived from some variable determined both from the dex of the char and the speed of the weapon right?

However, in the wiki it explains it contrary, it states that "After a swing the weapon timer would start. Even with the weapon unequipped the timer continues going. This allows characters to unequip the weapon and do other actions such as spell casting or drinking potions while they wait for their weapons to be ready."

Which basically means that there is no shooting faster than 5 seconds, and "possibly" soon...10 seconds.