Let's talk Foot Stools

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Let's talk Foot Stools

Post by RoadKill »

Deadwall wrote:Kilts caused Z+ issues, worked back in dec 1998, and a few months later rib cages.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5608436/kilts.gif
Would be good if there's a screenshot of an avatar on a kilt, with an elevated Z axis
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

What is the origin of that screenshot? I can tell it's quite old because of the house wall texture, but who is to say that is even in our era? During Pre-t2a there were many items that would elevate you, and for a time you could even cast teleport and target tables to get up to virtually any height anywhere, the tables didn't even have to be locked down. OSI removed these features to prevent house break-ins as you can imagine, and I do not remember stools, kilts, horse-dung, or anything elevating your Z height after that. I also find it strange that the stools must be locked down in order to function in this manner.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I can tell that screenshot is quite old, because of some of the pixels and the fact he wrote "worked in dec 98".
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Well if you look at the house wall its old style, the default we have now was touched up some time after uo:R

but there are patches out there to change that muls back to the old way

I dont know whats special about the pic tho, I don't see any floating people on kilts, I just see stuff stacked.. Whats special about that?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

One thing to mote about this it that the client is agreeing with the server on this mechanic, when you step on a footstoll, dung, etc, the client moves you up and is in agreement with the server. I'm not sure that a server side change in this wouldn't cause a desync.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

No you can't have grandfathered staircases from footstools in your place of residence to boost it's cost :P :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Deadwall

Post by Deadwall »

Well I guess im not clear on which "era" UOSA is trying to emulate. however I am just posting these screenshots to add information to the coversation. The creation dates on the screenshots loot11 and loot12 are 4/25/2000 are 1:44 and 1:50am, they were created by myself and i've ever shared them before.
loot11.jpg
loot12.jpg

Check out that old timey clothing fashion! Back-story on the screenshots are that after I discovered that the kilts raised your Z (and i believe i was the first to discover it), I shared the info with a few close online friends in our guild at the time. At first we went around Napa valley and looted all sorts of houses. Mostly public RP houses that were open those days and thats what the first screenshot is. In all we had our fun for a few weeks and eventually i was guilt ridden and decieded to report the bug to the GM's. We had the GM come and I told them i would show them aslong as they didn't ban myself or my friends and they said they wouldn't. But the bug stayed in game for another 2 months atleast and i became jaded again. We began building traps in my house that people, and specificly ghosts, would get stuck in by climbing the kilt ladders and dropping into a pit in the middle of tables. after they were stuck we would all kill them. Later we told other people and it spread to other shards. Later, a few more months or so I discovered that rib cages also raised your Z and the cycle repeated itself.. as it were.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

oh snap I had Grant on my icq list too

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Most items during early T2A and pre-T2A would force a player's z-axis to increase. This caused a number of problems with houses being looted when players would create "stairs" of these items to either drop into through the roof of a house, or walk over the naturally built-in table wall in smithy houses. These exploits were removed during late 1998 and early 1999 when all commonplace items would no longer adjust your z-axis height. The changes to these items are never directly specified in any patch note, which is consistent with OSI behavior on fixing exploits in the game, but these items are not mentioned as utility items for creating staircases in any significant capacity during 1998 or 1999 on the newsgroups.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I think the most direct fix to this was that items which are movable never raise your Z. This eliminates the house break in issues associated with these items. This is also why the items need to be locked down in order to be stepped up onto.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Deadwall wrote:Well I guess im not clear on which "era" UOSA is trying to emulate.
11/23/99 specifically, with phase 2 housing.

Blackhaggie

Post by Blackhaggie »

I believe the rubberband effect is cause by the server and client being in disagreement of whether you can or can not walk on the object. Changing the mechanic of the stools could cause some adverse effects.

I noticed the filled containers such as barrels in the picture above. I also remember being able to fill empty tubs around the time of UO:R. Does that mean being able to fill containers such as these in homes was possible during our era? I actually use to be able to fill containers in the world such as these in some areas and emptying it again to be able to lift it into my backpack.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Blackhaggie wrote:I noticed the filled containers such as barrels in the picture above. I also remember being able to fill empty tubs around the time of UO:R.
Water barrels are kind've a running joke on UOSA. We all know what their accurate implementation is, but Derrick just never has time to patch them in - always more pressing issues :) Pretty much like necromancy on OSI :P

Hey deadwall - who were you on OSI? I remember Kracka on Napa Valley. I played there for about 2 months from April '99.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

I dont know about footstools or kilts but when sand came out you could walk over mountains or prety much anything with it. So whatever people are saying was a patched out mechanic wasnt patched by sand time which was post UO3D.
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

By "patched out" I mean that the server would no longer increase your Z axis when you stepped on the same tile as certain items. Since this is information handled by the server, any item that did not increase your z-axis would need to be marked as such on the server. A good case in point is horse dung. On live OSI servers, horse dung still raises your z-axis when you stand on it, but things like kilts, cloth, and other assorted items in game don't. This is strictly because the server knows that when you walked on to a tile with these items, you shouldn't have your z-axis raised.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org