The Silver System greatly effects the economy.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: The Silver System greatly effects the economy.

Post by BobDobbs »

Psilo wrote:
Silver may be good and people do like it but there's too many events which is bad.

What?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Psilo wrote:Silver is fine but we need more "shard events" where we get silver instead of trammie instanced events.

Silver may be good and people do like it but there's too many events which is bad.

Shard-wise events are what we need more of cause it is realistic and immserive, it feels more like OSI than UOgamers-esque trammie instanced events we have here.
Shard events take a lot of time to put together, and keep in mind that none of the staff are paid here and also have jobs/lives to attend to. If the silver system went solely on shard events, there would be much less silver circulating and it would take much more time to be able to buy anything with it. There are some things being worked on, but they take time. They need developed, then built within the game, and extensive testing before it can go live. Plus, live events are just that; live, which means a lot of players won't be able to partake in them and be able to collect silver because of the timezones. Where OSI had a shard for pretty much every time zone which catered to all players, we have a single shard to cater to people across the globe.

There are much less automated events than there were, but people do enjoy them so they won't be going away and complaining about them is pretty much beating a dead horse.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Psilo wrote:
chumbucket wrote:I don't think there is any obvious way to test this: But it could be that silver leads more people to gather gold that otherwise wouldn't bother. Otherwise, I can't see how it hurts the shard, and obviously adds something that a lot of people like.

Silver is fine but we need more "shard events" where we get silver instead of trammie instanced events.

Shard-wise events are what we need more of cause it is realistic and immserive, it feels more like OSI than UOgamers-esque trammie instanced events we have here.
You and your guild can run events. Staff have always been more than willing to create prizes. items, silver etc for well run player events. This is somthing you can take initiative in do yourself instead of relying on staff or other groups.

Its always fun to watch town criers announce your event :D
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of events, not really because they are Trammel, but just because during events it is next to impossible to find other players in the game in Felucca.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

chumbucket wrote:Yeah I'm not a huge fan of events, not really because they are Trammel, but just because during events it is next to impossible to find other players in the game in Felucca.
I was in this camp, then I started doing some events, and I must say they're a lot of fun. Now I'm conflicted.

Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Arkon »

Mikel123 wrote:
chumbucket wrote:Yeah I'm not a huge fan of events, not really because they are Trammel, but just because during events it is next to impossible to find other players in the game in Felucca.
I was in this camp, then I started doing some events, and I must say they're a lot of fun. Now I'm conflicted.
I kinda felt this way too. But the events don't last very long and they are very fun. CtF and DD are both very well done.

As far as silver goes, I'd participate in the events even if there was no silver/trophy rewards. I can go both ways on the subject to be honest. A part of me doesn't really care since I don't collect silver myself, but another part of me does think it does affect the economy somewhat in a negative way. But I don't think so much that it is a problem.
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Psilo wrote:
chumbucket wrote:I don't think there is any obvious way to test this: But it could be that silver leads more people to gather gold that otherwise wouldn't bother. Otherwise, I can't see how it hurts the shard, and obviously adds something that a lot of people like.

Silver is fine but we need more "shard events" where we get silver instead of trammie instanced events.

I agree on holding more shard-wide events!! I enjoy non-tournament events (CTF in particular), and I think something like that would be great to hold in the "real world".
Corbin wrote:Shard events take a lot of time to put together, and keep in mind that none of the staff are paid here and also have jobs/lives to attend to. If the silver system went solely on shard events, there would be much less silver circulating and it would take much more time to be able to buy anything with it. There are some things being worked on, but they take time. They need developed, then built within the game, and extensive testing before it can go live.
That much I will concede, and all events staff have put up have been awesome, and greatly appreciated.
Corbin wrote:Plus, live events are just that; live, which means a lot of players won't be able to partake in them and be able to collect silver because of the timezones. Where OSI had a shard for pretty much every time zone which catered to all players, we have a single shard to cater to people across the globe.
This I think conflicts with scheduled events too. Speaking purely for my time zone (Central, which I guess is quite popular), for a person who works normal office hours (I assume a good ammount of the population does too) and only for non-tournament events: you still have scheduled CTF (Urban) for 9:30a.m. on a work day, Survival for 11a.m. again on a workday, ANOTHER CTF (Urban) for 3a.m. also on a work day, CTF (Cave) for 9a.m. on a work day, Survival for 8:30a.m. on a work day, and DD at 5a.m. on a Sunday. I'd do all those, but am SOL for having a job and having to sleep to keep it. Same goes for "live" events, can't make it: boo-hoo. Personally, I'm only able to sometimes play wed's CTF (4 teams), and it is boo-hoo for me.
Corbin wrote:There are much less automated events than there were, but people do enjoy them so they won't be going away and complaining about them is pretty much beating a dead horse.
Don't know exactly how many events there were in the heyday, but the are apparently on the rise again.
Blackfoot wrote:You and your guild can run events. Staff have always been more than willing to create prizes. items, silver etc for well run player events. This is somthing you can take initiative in do yourself instead of relying on staff or other groups.

Its always fun to watch town criers announce your event
We have, and it's pretty cool, unfortunately we too have jobs, and RL issues preventing us from putting more events together.
Arkon wrote:
Mikel123 wrote:
I kinda felt this way too. But the events don't last very long and they are very fun. CtF and DD are both very well done.

As far as silver goes, I'd participate in the events even if there was no silver/trophy rewards. I can go both ways on the subject to be honest. A part of me doesn't really care since I don't collect silver myself, but another part of me does think it does affect the economy somewhat in a negative way. But I don't think so much that it is a problem.
I am also conflicted. I was also staunchly anti-event, but I do enjoy CTF. As far as Silver goes, I agree, cut down the Silver handed out in events, let's see how it plays out.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

A reasonable post from chum about trammel events.. who woulda thunk it.

Throw me in the group of ex-haters, I've grown to enjoy many of the events, particularly survival (I'm a PvMer at heart).
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Brules

Post by Brules »

I think the whole tourney system happening in trammel is inaccurate and events should be held in game.....

Also eliminate the non era accurate silver and implement a gold sink system where gold can be used to buy items - if need be make them no drop no transfer to eliminate them being sold (ie: retaining their gold value).

Nice system and all but totally inaccurate.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

I'm not sure a gold sink is even needed, if one was, wouldn't the people who actually watch the data behind UOSA's economy say one was needed? Its my understanding that the staff pays very close attention to the economy using information that is not available to players.

The fact that they have not said one was needed leads me to think that one is not.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

BlackFoot wrote:This isnt against or for silver

Trying to replicate the economy of osi isnt really a goal I dont think. I dont know how you could considering the considerable differences that we all know about between osi a decade ago and now.

If you think about the availability/price of valorite plate armour suits or +25 silver vanq broadswords here compared to osi youl know what I mean.

The closer we get to era accurate mechanics to closer we will naturally get to a similar economy but will never be a replica.

I would say the fluctations/lop-sided availability of silver have a more negative affect on the economy here more than silver itself if that makes sense

Sigh. Alas, I remember the days of standing at the Britain forge with a pack full of multi colored ingots, awaiting orders. A true open air market in which blacksmiths were the richest men in the game. If theres an issue to address, is how damn easy magic items are to get on this shard. Lets go back to playing with crafted weapons and armour!
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Silver events offer something new and different, a repetitive grind that will keep people busy playing a shard that never progresses in content.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Silver is clearly not a problem for the economy per se. However, most of the silver goes to a select few because trounys are the best source for it. More silver producing non-pvp events and less silver from tournies could help close the divide.

Why are we awarding so much silver from each tourny if they are held on average multiple times a day? If they were rarer (which I don't advocate) I could see the current rewards being fine. I'm not sure an individual should be able to earn 5-15 silver per day (multiple tournys) several days a week using the exact same skill set in the same setting.

A little off topic:
If we move tournys from trammel to felucca and theives/pks could jack the trophies or gank the stat reds that like to idle in the tourny area that'd be nice too.

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

The current system seems fine to me. If you do 5 events in a day and you win each one I don't see what the problem is beyond other people being jealous.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Panthor the Hated wrote: A little off topic:
If we move tournys from trammel to felucca and theives/pks could jack the trophies or gank the stat reds that like to idle in the tourny area that'd be nice too.
If there must be trammel-events, then Panthor has a decent compromise. Also want to know why we can't have stealing stealthing and summons in the "no rules" tournament.