New website with screenshots

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: New website with screenshots

Post by Faust »

That would be the logical approach when they implemented this Derrick but it may very well not have been based on the google group discussion posted above by me...
Yep. Once again, the actions of a few jerks hurt the rest of us. I'm not a programmer, so don't know why OSI can't just code in a price on a deed so that you resell it for what you paid.

Cataclyst

Post by Cataclyst »

That Google discussion though doesn't really give you any information on what they are talking about, it's also in 2001, so for all we know they could be discussing other bugs =/?
(10:15:37 AM) mark: wana pk?
(10:15:41 AM) Cataclysm: all mine are dead, sigh
(10:15:44 AM) Cataclysm: thank weezy for one, spanky for the other
(10:15:49 AM) Cataclysm: and a dc for the third
(10:15:57 AM) mark: why u shouldnt team with ethnics

Faust

Post by Faust »

That is true since the bug could have been released after era but unlikely.

Description of the exploit...
Real Estate Brokers On Strike? - Jun 12 2001, 8:37pm - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/ac10a96a4a582ab5/e070a0b04b04ff81?lnk=gst&q=real+estate+broker#e070a0b04b04ff81 wrote:not on strike. it was a nice little bug that has been out for quite a while.
just recently went public though, and was fixed almost immediatly. what you
would do is buy all the deeds the archetect has on him. after you get down to
only about 8-10 deeds, the prices start going up on them. if you bought the
last 8-10 deeds at one time you would pay the face value for them. when you
sold those to the real estate broker you would get great profits on each one.
only thing is that it takes money to make money. needed to have at least a mil
to start out. when you got up to the 10 mil mark you could start making profits
of 3-4 mil each time you bought the vendor out. i know one guy who made over
100 mil in one night. have heard reports of people making over a billion.

Cataclyst

Post by Cataclyst »

Sheesh, If only we had all realized this back when it first came out, imagine the $$$ we could of made :(.
Ah well, it definitely will not be added, and that seems to prove that at one point it WAS possible, guess that sums it up! OSI wasn't the brightest

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It was my understanding that the price was recorded. I don't know what that belief at the time was based on, but the selling of deeds was apart from regular vendor sale mechanics. Insituted in March 1999:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Ulti ... 03/28/1999

While it's possible what is described above as "quite a while" could mean that it went back to T2A; there is certainly no chance whatsoever that this would be implemented even if deemed "accurate". If would be more interesting to know if there was a discount to the sell price prior to this change in 2001 (described as 20% at that time).
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Cataclyst

Post by Cataclyst »

fgsdgf

The page has the screenshots listed as fall of 1999 (Sept-Nov), Secondages cutoff date is when?

It seems this was also brought up in a previous thread, guess no one got around to checking it out.

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16613

What exactly are our prices on the houses based off of anyway? Is there an archived page I'm failing to find, or are we going off of stratics?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick wrote:It was my understanding that the price was recorded. I don't know what that belief at the time was based on, but the selling of deeds was apart from regular vendor sale mechanics. Insituted in March 1999:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Ulti ... 03/28/1999

While it's possible what is described above as "quite a while" could mean that it went back to T2A; there is certainly no chance whatsoever that this would be implemented even if deemed "accurate". If would be more interesting to know if there was a discount to the sell price prior to this change in 2001 (described as 20% at that time).
What are the effects of inflation and deflation upon buying stock from regular vendors here?

My recollection of buying reagents was that when you didn't buy the full stack that the price would inflate for the next buy of that specific pile. For example, say you bought 500 out of a stack of 999 regs at 3gp each and the price would increase to 4gp for that pile. I'm pretty sure prices don't inflate here like they did back in the day in this manner.

Here is an example of the way this bug possibly worked based on the old pricing mechanism for vendors...
  • Buy houses from one specific row of deeds allowing the final deed to inflate to a higher price.
  • Go to a real estate broker and say "appraise".
  • Target the last deed bought with the much higher inflated price.
  • Broker establishes the price of the selected house deed for brokering temporarily storing the data of it(price & deed type).
  • Drop the deed that was bought with the original starting price and get the "appraised" value of the other deed instead of the one you actually sold.
  • ++Profit
  • Rinse & repeat.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Cataclyst wrote:What exactly are our prices on the houses based off of anyway? Is there an archived page I'm failing to find, or are we going off of stratics?
Oct 1999 stratics: http://web.archive.org/web/199910081800 ... builds.htm

Like any other vendor item, currently the prices that vendors sell items for do not fluctuate, this is future work.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

For some reason i remember taking a hit if you wanted to sell a deed back to the vendor. Maybe it was a different time era or i may just be off my rocker :mrgreen:

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Jorel wrote:For some reason i remember taking a hit if you wanted to sell a deed back to the vendor. Maybe it was a different time era or i may just be off my rocker :mrgreen:
I do too, my basis for inquiry abou the disconting on selling them. I thought it was 10% too, but I don't remember when. It may have been after Nov 1999. I seem to remember changes, but this is all memory.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

The big house-deed scandal came with the introduction of Factions & the ability to raise/lower the prices for each town. You would just simply lower one town to -30%, and raise another to 400%. Self explanatory from there.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Faust

Post by Faust »

Plenty of discussions in the google groups stating they got the full price back in '99 and '00.

Here are a few from a brief search...
Apr 19, 1999 - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/ecaff68bce06b30a/588fb3ae7797267d?lnk=gst&q=real+estate+broker#588fb3ae7797267d wrote: I got the full price. I even bought a large brick house (reason I sold
my small one), tried all day to place it and sold it back for the full
purchase price so I guess the broker system works now. This was in
Britain. Note that pre-patch deeds are still stealable so use caution.
Sep 14, 2000 - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/7630c5ef0af5a357/3f5ac50a94009e5f?lnk=gst&q=real+estate+broker#3f5ac50a94009e5f wrote: You can sell the deed back with no money loss. Unlike other items, when you
sell a house deed to a real estate broker, you get the same amount you paid
for it. However, sometimes vendors run "specials" and sell deeds at a
reduced rate. And if you buy your deed at that reduced rate, and the price
goes back UP later on, you still only get the amount YOU paid for it when
you sell it to the real estate broker.
Oct 11, 2000 - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/5ac39566ac8020a1/e7dbfe62f09441ba?lnk=gst&q=real+estate+broker#e7dbfe62f09441ba wrote: With one other thing added. You can save yourself from losing money by
re-deeding the first house. Then take the deed to a real estate broker (In
carpentry shops) and sell it back to him. You'll get the same amount of
money for this deed that was orginally paid to aquire it. You can do it at
any time before or after the house is condemned but before it collapses.
Once it collapses, you can not get the deed back.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks. This is my recollection.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kreskn - Jun 15, 2000 - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/91cb77015049c760/0c7f4f1708c9dd40?lnk=gst&q=real+estate+broker+bug#0c7f4f1708c9dd40 wrote:
Richard Cortese wrote:I posted about all the housing being the same high price, but I just happened to check and found one in Moonglowthat was 10% off all prices
Several weeks ago, I purchased a marble patio deed for a low
price in SB. Later that day I sold it for a "Higher!!" appraised price in Yew. I couldn't believe it so I tried it again. Yup, bought low, sold high. Sorry to annoy everyone, but I reported the bug.
Ahem..... I kept the extra cash though *grin*
Source showing that it may have been possible much earlier in June '00 and before Factions was introduced into the game. However, my possible bug stated above would not be valid if this were to be true too.

Also, looks like Alatar was right about there being a faction exploit too...

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

You needed to control at least 2 towns in order to make it work properly. OSI didn't explore the possibilities completely when allowing players to alter the buy/sell rate of town vendors through the faction system. It worked great in the aspects it was designed for, but it brought in a whole new form of duping with house deeds.

The real estate brokers were unaffected by the faction pricing, so you can see how beneficial it was buying castle deeds at -30% price and then selling them for full price.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w