Dispute over Land

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Lord Cavewight of GL

Re: Dispute over Land

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

I always enjoy these threads.

Search the threads for housing/land and you'll find we get one of these posts... monthly.. :lol:

But anyway whats the problem with owning a potential 15 houses?

Every "problem" I have seen listed involves "Its not fair, johnny has five castles". "Fairness" has no place in UO and I am perplexed as to why people defend inaccuracy in the name of "Fairness".

All that said, How exactly is it hard to place a house?

You can place any large or small house except for keeps/castles(sometimes towers) ANY DAY OF THE WEEK...

Segellion

Post by Segellion »

Please make sure to read my original post carefully Cavewight as I hardly referred to "fairness in UO"-I was simply defending those who may have never played before.

The problem with your logic Cavewight, is that it proposes a weakness in the server. Imagine the scenario where 20 individuals each owned 15 castles, all of which are empty and unused. These individuals and their 300 castles have now taken up the greater portion of housing land on the server. Since they are unwilling to sell, they have no created a problem where new players can no longer place houses. So it would be the same to remove the option for housing in UO simply because it is monopolized by those 20 individuals.

Originally when Origin designed UO, they had no idea it would become as large as it did, that's why they introduced Trammel. If they wouldn't have increased the area to place housing then they would never have increased their player population which would have been catastrophic to the game.

That is the situation you risk putting in on this server, business 101 states -all businesses must be in a state of growth to succeed. If your business fails to grow, yet fails to be in a state of loss, then your competition will continue to grow thus ultimately leaving you in a state of loss-

And this applies to this server,

Let me ask you this Cavewight, if you had the option to bring 5 brand new people to the server and sacrfice your castle, or keep your castle and not have new players? What would you choose?

Because there are a lot of other UO servers out there that offer more flexibility in housing, why would a player come here if they can't have what they want?

This is something the server administrators should be aware of.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

To the OP:

I just placed a 2-story & a tower earlier today.

The dispute over land is pretty minor, and usually only stems from one person wanting a specific area of land that they just cannot have at the moment.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

The server would gain more being able to only have 1 house per acct. I would almost bet the server pop would raise. Cuz i know for sure one of the first thing ppl look for when joining a server is where can i place a house. and when they see that there is no where to place a house its a big buzz kill. and its even worse that they will have to end up paying deed pluss 20k or more witch its bs.

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service

Segellion

Post by Segellion »

Sandro wrote:To the OP:
The dispute over land is pretty minor, and usually only stems from one person wanting a specific area of land that they just cannot have at the moment.

Hence the name of the thread "Dispute over Land"

Because the dispute over land comes from the housing issue with the server, it's become a problem where people are greedy with their housing.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

And now I just placed a castle..

This dispute over land is really petty. Sure, there may be a massive amount of housing owned by the same player/guild in a certain region, but you cant really try to argue that you couldn't ever place a house. IDOC's happen everyday, literally, on this shard.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Lord Cavewight of GL

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

Sandro wrote:IDOC's happen everyday, literally, on this shard.

Gray Wolf

Post by Gray Wolf »

Rule #1. Era accuracy.
Rule #2. See rule #1.

This is Derricks call, and it ain't gonna change.
Sure am glad no-one called the guards!

:::: whack :::::

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I like how whenever there is a thread like this, all of the vets post something like
UOSA vet wrote:What are you talking about, I just placed 5 castles today! There is plenty of room for all sizes of house, you just have to look!

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

This thread seems to mostly be about wanting a specific area of land owned by an extraordinarily obnoxious player, not about wanting to own a castle.

You can't enforce generosity with rules.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Zorce »

UO is the only game where you can own & sell real estate. No other online game offers this which makes UO the game that it is.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Segellion wrote:Greetings,

My name is Segellion and I am the guild leader of the Cult of Infernal Necromancy. I have joined this server a few months ago and I was very thankful for it, as it recreated my UO days from back in 1999. Originally I had planned to migrate my entire guild to this server because it seemed like a perfect match for our RP community.

However with all good comes bad, and it's something I really didn't realize until just today and I realized it in a big way. As you continue reading please understand that I am aware that this has been discussed in dozens of threads, but I believe it has not been addressed enough!

As soon as I joined this server I knew the most important thing was to establish a guild house, so I sought out the original tower location that our guild had back in 1999. Through a lot of investigation I found out that JohnC owned the tower, and might be willing to sell it. Quite releiving I thought, but I had to get the money.

So I brought a couple players over to try and help me make money, I temporarily place a small house beside the tower to store the guildstone. I inform JohnC of this and he is furious because I placed a house on "his land". At this time it was revealed to me that JohnC now only owned the tower, but the small, large brick, keeps, towers and a castle that were near the region. I had hoped that JohnC might be willing to part with a tower because he has so many. But certainly not, this tower-locked and empty- was reserved for his guild only. I offered JohnC a million gold coins for the one tower and he still refused. The months that I have spent by the tower I had never seen him or evidence of anybody else in the entire region, JohnC referred to it as a town but it seemed more like a ghost town..

Now I can't force JohnC to give up his "town" nor do I want to, if anything I would love to be apart of his town but with the placement of my small house I definately feel like my presence is unwanted. As polite as I try to be, JohnC is unwilling to cooperate.

And then today I stumbled across this thread:
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=21953

Where a character owns 12 houses, keeps, smalls, castles.. and although he claims to sell it, it does not seem very likely that he will give it up.
This is really quite a problem Owning 2 or 3 houses is one thing, but to own more than 1 keep or castle? Is ridiculous, and then hording it all for yourself?

I am sure there are other people out there who are like this, that's why I can only mention the two. It's completely legal for an individual to have 15 castles and they may deserve them.. however it is unfair for those who just entered the game, have broken their backs making money by grinding or farming when all we can get is a small or large brick that are for sale on the forums.

And I would like to credit BeatingU, he has been the most helpful person on this entire server in regards to this issue. He is a very respectable individual and generous towards n00bs. I see a lot of negative posts in regards to him, and I think they should be removed because a lot of people could learn from him.

This is madness, and I am almost at wits end to pack up my guild and leave the server. I could buy a tower off the forums, or anything smaller than that. However Keeps and Castles are held in multitudes by those who need them least,

I strongly recommend limiting the amount of houses per account to 2-3 houses.

Thank you for reading,

I have two castles side by side. I love them. I have been here for some time now, and I didnt get them by falling into them. I "Broke my back" working just as hard as you say you work. And instead of posting on the forums complaining about it, I overpaid for them by about 1mil per. I dont know what you hope to accomplish by complaining that others have more then you. Anything on this server can be bought if you have enough coin. I really dont see why anyone would want to take away from proven veteran players to give to new players who likly wont be around for more then a month. You act like a guy with his own town didnt earn it. Less time on the forums more time in the trenches if you want a tower.

P.S. Stay the hell off my land new meat.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

wtf do you need 2 castles for?

Pro

Post by Pro »

just placed a town

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Pro wrote:just placed a town
Can I move in?