On bugs / "Era Accuracy" and other stuff..

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ophidian

Re: On bugs / "Era Accuracy" and other stuff..

Post by Ophidian »

yossarian wrote:nightshark was right....just more rambling.
Sorry Yossarian, not feeding any more trolls. If you have something more on topic to provide. Please do.

Ophidian

Faust

Post by Faust »

Ophidian wrote:If this is the absolute truth of the matter then I will let you sink with your ship.
UO Second Age is the only popular t2a shard to ever increase its numbers from scratch where others like IPY, DFI, and Divinity started with 500+ from the very beginning. Those shards did not follow an era accuracy philosophy and the mechanics changed non-stop from trying to be accurate to appeasement for a more 'fun or better' experience. This strict philosophy here at UOSA is one of the driving forces that has made it so successful compared to the other failures and it won't be the 'death of it' even the slightest.

People that continue to believe they can make the era better than it was in its day are only living in a shoe with pipe dreams that stretch for endless miles.

The game is well over a decade old and most people that play it are not looking for a 'new version' of the game. The game is what it was, not was what it is now based on the ideas of one individual to the next that decides to throw up an server experiment based on their idealogy.

Derrick does not take the approach of a developer that tries to make the game better based on his or others views. He simply allows history depict the game creating NO strive in decisions besides with those that don't believe in the philosophy of era accuracy. This sort of tit for tat crap is what destroys a server from with in and has happened time after time when the owner finally caves into public sentiment ruining their objective or goal to begin with for their server.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I discovered a bug regarding archery just now. I test fired 50 arrows while my mage was running around to check out the range and see if it had changed at all. It turns out, if you run just a few tiles away from the archer (not even nearly off the screen), the archer will miss you 100% of the time. I'm really talking about just a few steps away.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Ophidian wrote:
Sorry Yossarian, not feeding any more trolls. If you have something more on topic to provide. Please do.

Ophidian
hope you pack up them bags and head out soon buddy. your posts rub the whole shard the wrong way.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Biohazard wrote:
Ophidian wrote:

Ophidian
hope you pack up them bags and head out soon buddy. your posts rub the whole shard the wrong way.
careful man. i saw him in game yesterday and he started bragging about having an iq of 152. you don't wanna argue with this guy, he's hella smart. he then proceeded to criticise my "spelling", when he was actually referring to the fact that i don't use capital letters or apostrophes. the next sentence, he misspelled the word "argument" (he said arguement). pretty ironic lol.

he almost literally said "only my opinion matters, other people have faulty memories". so basically, i think we should ignore all the evidence to the contrary (regarding all kill) and listen to this guy. apparently with gm taming you should be able to control 2-3 pets at a time from your pack of animals (he conceded that all kill was faulty, but not entirely broken). glad we can finally close the case on that one.

it almost emerged from the conversation that he's a rich mofo who spends 16 hours a day playing uo (retired at 25 or something). maybe he can contribute some of that excess wealth to the shard
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Ophidian

Post by Ophidian »

nightshark wrote:
Biohazard wrote:
Ophidian wrote:

Ophidian
careful man. i saw him in game yesterday and he started bragging about having an iq of 152. you don't wanna argue with this guy, he's hella smart. he then proceeded to criticise my "spelling", when he was actually referring to the fact that i don't use capital letters or apostrophes. the next sentence, he misspelled the word "argument" (he said arguement). pretty ironic lol.

he almost literally said "only my opinion matters, other people have faulty memories". so basically, i think we should ignore all the evidence to the contrary (regarding all kill) and listen to this guy. apparently with gm taming you should be able to control 2-3 pets at a time from your pack of animals (he conceded that all kill was faulty, but not entirely broken). glad we can finally close the case on that one.

it almost emerged from the conversation that he's a rich mofo who spends 16 hours a day playing uo (retired at 25 or something). maybe he can contribute some of that excess wealth to the shard
Night, you're a funny guy. I trolled you SO hard in game you didn't even see it coming. You can't even spot your own game huh? You were ready to recall and I said one thing and you wanted to argue. Your only argument back was purely based on attacks of character, a logical fallacy known as "ad hominem" which only showed me your true colors. Thank you for the entertainment.

Of all of it you got one thing that is true, Im semi-retired at the moment and going back to school for my masters in psychology. I'm a couple years older than that unfortunately.

Ophidian

yossarian
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by yossarian »

Im semi-retarded at the moment and going back to school for my masters in psychology.
Fiexed that for you.

Its probably time to move this thread to trash talk.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Matt wrote:I discovered a bug regarding archery just now. I test fired 50 arrows while my mage was running around to check out the range and see if it had changed at all. It turns out, if you run just a few tiles away from the archer (not even nearly off the screen), the archer will miss you 100% of the time. I'm really talking about just a few steps away.
You cannot move during the plant & shoot OR animation delay for this reason.

This is era accurate for both pret2a/t2a and has been proven without a doubt with in the original swing timer code.

There are also patch notes during the UOR that reflect this feature.

Ophidian

Post by Ophidian »

Faust wrote:
Matt wrote:I discovered a bug regarding archery just now. I test fired 50 arrows while my mage was running around to check out the range and see if it had changed at all. It turns out, if you run just a few tiles away from the archer (not even nearly off the screen), the archer will miss you 100% of the time. I'm really talking about just a few steps away.
You cannot move during the plant & shoot OR animation delay for this reason.

This is era accurate for both pret2a/t2a and has been proven without a doubt with in the original swing timer code.

There are also patch notes during the UOR that reflect this feature.
Faust, I believe he is describing something different. He is stating that the TARGET is moving, not the archer. His mage was able to not be hit simply by moving "a few tiles away from the archer" and that the archer will miss 100% of the time. I don't have an archer but if he is correct then it is most definitely a bug no? A bow has a maximum effective range (assuming it's a normal bow) roughly equal to spell casting distance and he stated he wasn't even close to the edge of the screen.

Ophidian

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

A bow has a maximum effective range (assuming it's a normal bow) roughly equal to spell casting distance and he stated he wasn't even close to the edge of the screen.
The bow's maximum effective range is not static, it decays as the bow is used. We do not know the wear of Matt's bow. I suggest he tries again with a brandnew bow.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Batlin wrote:The bow's maximum effective range is not static, it decays as the bow is used.
:shock: I really had no idea.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rammar wrote:
Batlin wrote:The bow's maximum effective range is not static, it decays as the bow is used.
This was taken from the decompile and is in the patch notes, but it was added late.

Yes though, if your target moves out of range of the bow while the arrow is in flight your shot misses :\

We're getting pretty off-topic here, but i'm glad in insults have stopped anyway.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Matt

Post by Matt »

Derrick wrote:
Rammar wrote:
This was taken from the decompile and is in the patch notes, but it was added late.

Yes though, if your target moves out of range of the bow while the arrow is in flight your shot misses :\

We're getting pretty off-topic here, but i'm glad in insults have stopped anyway.
I don't think this is off topic and here's why: I tested different bows, crossbows and heavy crossbows. Had any of them been worn, you all are saying it would LESSEN my chance of hitting a target from far range. I never hit my target once. All he had to do was run a few tiles away-- not off the screen, not even near the maximum spell-casting distance.

This may have to do with the timing delay being off or some sort of bug- idk. But archery was never like this even if we look at all the changes it went through. Is this not even going to be looked into?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Matt wrote:I don't think this is off topic and here's why: ... Is this not even going to be looked into?
As in my original reply, discussing individual mechanics should be done in an appropriate thread to that mechanic. There are other topics on this. Check out archery changes: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 8&start=60

Making posts on the same issues in multiple threads leads to no thread containing complete information on the discussion.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."