Hally/Mage Red... Question

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sinatra SUN-FoW

Re: Hally/Mage Red... Question

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

Izual wrote:
Faust wrote:Archer tank mages were superior during the early days of t2a... Players had the ability to dodge any melee swing with in 1.5s after the animation started.... archers would be able to move around stalling their timer 1 second before the shot animation due to the requirement of 'planting and shooting'
Yes! I don't understand why people are saying Archery Tanks weren't good. They were such an unbelievably dominant class but nobody had it because it was so costly to gather the arrows. It was really actually overpowered to say the least. Everyone had a Sword because it was just easier and had no cost.
Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:..Hally spammer mages are getting old really fast and to me it makes this games PvP feel tired when it doesn't need to.
I also commented on this a while back when I noticed the Hally Mage was the only viable template, nuking all others obsolete. Glad to see someone else hit this note. Hopefully something will be done to bring some life into UOSA.

Again era accurate or not. It will kill this shard eventually - I myself have been playing for close to a year now and am extremely bored with the PvP... so much so I almost don't even bother anymore.
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

hectorc2w
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by hectorc2w »

are you still playing DF frank?

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Btw guys hally spamming isn't accurate.

it's a fact, hallies never were able to be spammed in real 1999. That's the only thing that sucks about current UOSA pvp.

If you fight someone that doesn't hally spam then it's fun, but if you fight many of the pvpers all they do every 1.4 seconds is hally hit you. There's no variation to the way they fight. They just hope to out-mana you and hit you more. I understand one must adapt but I personally only equip my hally that much if they spam me, in defense or you lose out the mana war.

Just be patient Derrick is working on this, once fixed macing will be okay to use and hallies won't be as ridiculous. People are gonna have to learn to use the mage after next patch which means more meditating and less hally spamming cause the mechanics shouldn't allow it(if all goes well).

What's also being worked on is the weapon cycling. Both mages and warriors will be able to cycle their weapons accordingly. Hallies will of course still need to be unequipped and subject to possible attack last combatant, but you'll be able to cycle (however much dex) while running and walking. You won't need to be still anymore so that will definetly help vs runners or people who try to spam mini heal because a hally whack can be deadly. But since it can't be spammed, I think mages will learn to go offensive more and run less on the field because mage vs mage is going to feel less dexer'ish than the current mechanics.

However Derrick has said it is not clear how long it will take so I say just be patient, get 35 dex because you'll be at a disadvantage vs most "in-the-know" pvpers with your 25 dex.

PVP is still fun though I am not complaining this shard has better pvp than any other player-run shard I've played. 8)

Looking forward to testing the new mechanics when it happens! :wink:
Last edited by Psilo on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

hectorc2w wrote:are you still playing DF frank?

Not as much anymore. I miss my UO glory days just like everyone here :)

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Psilo wrote:Btw guys hally spamming isn't accurate.

it's a fact, hallies never were able to be spammed in real 1999. That's the only thing that sucks about current UOSA pvp.

If you fight someone that doesn't hally spam then it's fun, but if you fight the typical tourney-goer all they do every 1.4 seconds is hally hit you. There's no variation to the way they fight. They just hope to out-mana you and hit you more.

Just be patient Derrick is working on this, once fixed macing will be okay to use and hallies won't be as ridiculous. People are gonna have to learn to use the mage after next patch.

Thank you for this because I am very clear on my memories of T2A. While Hally's were used quite a bit on UOSA it is used by 9 out of 10 people. I didn't feel like this was accurate to the old UO mechanics.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

well i just acheived 50 dex so..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

BUCKWHEAT FLAKES AND FRESH ALMOND MILK.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hally mages will still be good and probably still even dominate the template count after the swing timer patch goes in... however, they won't be as effective as they are now currently. I have a good feeling a mace tank mage will be seen more often in 1v1 and archer mages will be more common in GvG situations. At least more so than they are right now. Dexers and hybrids will flourish from the patch. The hally tank mage will still be present in many situations and maintain their majority status though. This is just my assessment and prediction... take it or leave it.

We all will eventually see how it turns out after it goes live.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Faust wrote:Hally mages will still be good and probably still even dominate the template count after the swing timer patch goes in... however, they won't be as effective as they are now currently. I have a good feeling a mace tank mage will be seen more often in 1v1 and archer mages will be more common in GvG situations. At least more so than they are right now. Dexers and hybrids will flourish from the patch. The hally tank mage will still be present in many situations and maintain their majority status though. This is just my assessment and prediction... take it or leave it.

We all will eventually see how it turns out after it goes live.

I wouldn't want them to become extinct. However I want to see other templates in the fray and not just one hally/mage template. Macing, Archery and Swords should be all viable options in my opinion.. if not it severely cuts down on interesting situations.

Faust

Post by Faust »

History depicts what templates will be used.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Faust wrote:History depicts what templates will be used.
As history goes I hope there are more variables than that! :)