POLL: NO Razor Allowed for One Week

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should Razor be blocked for a week?

Yes
22%
No
54%
It would be interesting to try.
24%

Total votes: 59

benny-

Re: POLL: NO Razor Allowed for One Week

Post by benny- »

It does...thanks much.

But as for the second part of my post....is this pet project likely to happen/could we expect to see this anytime soon?
- Elisud

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

Just wanted to say, whether it comes to fruition or not... pretty awesome that it's being worked on.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

nightshark wrote:I was under the impression that everyone had access to those features, therefore PKs using razor are not at a "greater advantage". What makes you think that someone who is better with "all the features of razor" would not be better than you "without all the features of razor"?

Sounds like a scrub argument to me, if I've ever heard one.
The debate is not over who is better at pvp. Without the hotkeys/macros/etc that Razor offers players would be limited to the in-game macro system which is not as powerful to be able to do some/most of the things that are currently done with Razor. Hally macros, etc.

One person suggested that a third party program should be disallowed because it has a feature that was added after our time frame, solely because it would inconvenience them if they couldn't use it too.. so in the same manner I say remove Razor for a week since it's features are mostly not era accurate. Same thing. But people are against the idea because it is heavily relied on to function in the game. I'm not an anti-Razor person, as can be seen in the other threads about removing Razor from our existence, but you can't even live without it for one week....

As for not being able to block Razor directly ----- I've come up with a possible solution. We get Batlin to decompile Razor and hack it up by disabling access to any of the tabs/features... force negotiate features on, then use Razor Negotiator on the server and block those that "doesn't have the latest razor update;" -- which happens to be our custom hacked version with no features.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Dagon there are only a few inaccurate features that razor provides that UOA did not:

Looping macros (we all used EZ macros, or a stack of quarters)

Light levels : We all bombed the gamma on our moniters

HP Percents : This is one of the few "big" ones, if you can even call it that.

the que target and target type : The other "big" one.

These few features that are not present in UOA would not be worth loosing all of razor over.
[broken image]

Pro

Post by Pro »

other than loops i dont use any of those features ;[ (set last target count?)

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I believe UOA Had that, but if it didnt, you could have made a "use your newby dagger" macro.

Really the only one that even causes a problem are the ways razor lets you screw with the target. Target by type makes the overpowered stealing macros. Target type red / blue / grey = archer bots. but is this one feature worth loosing arm / dress, pot keys and the other great features? no.
[broken image]

Faust

Post by Faust »

UOA had queue target.
benny- wrote: But as for the second part of my post....is this pet project likely to happen/could we expect to see this anytime soon?
I have not heard anything new on it for quite some time.

I don't see it happening anytime soon but it would be nice if I was wrong.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

This is a terrible idea.

Only a small portion of players actively peruse these forums, and making some random change is going to do nothing but fuck with the playerbase for no reason which won't help the shard at all.

tunguska

Post by tunguska »

Faust wrote:Razor actually can't be detected.

The RunUO script that you speak of Dagon was an addition Zippy added to Razor in order to restrict players from utilizing the programs full potential. This script can only remove some of the features but not all of them from being used. A player that doesn't have the negotiating box in Razor checked will be kicked from the server upon logging in.

I wish there was a way to restrict Razor or remove it completely but there isn't unfortunately.

We can only use the same method that is currently being used in Razor to remove it by utilizing it inside one of our own.

There is no such program in existence making this impossible until Derrick's pet project over at JoinUO.com is up and running.
Modifying elements of the core could allow you to block razor via the same types of methods used to block certain razor features.

rafe

Post by rafe »

lol...anyone that says the functionality in razor isn't era accurate either didn't actually play during that time period, or were just a complete newb and 100% outta the loop! pretty much everything listed that razor has extra is useless/a non-factor.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

On the topic of having accurate information, I've made a few corrections:
tekai wrote:Dagon there are only a few inaccurate features that razor provides that UOA did not:

Looping macros (we all used EZ macros, or a stack of quarters)
A program called "UOAF" or "UOA Forever" was used to loop macros
tekai wrote:Light levels : We all bombed the gamma on our moniters
Anyone remember the "Always Light Patch"? Undetectable client mod, similar to the stump patch.
tekai wrote:the que target and target type : The other "big" one.
UOA had this as mentioned prior
tekai wrote:These few features that are not present in UOA would not be worth loosing all of razor over.
Agreed, mostly because when you take away certain features, you're just going to drive people to using EasyUO instead of Razor.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Here's the thing though, UOA was a paid program that only about 5% of the population had back in '99. I played UO on production shards for 10 years and never bought it myself. And did anyone check to see when UOA actually became a legal 3PP to use in UO? Till EA made their list of programs that were allowed, nothing was actually allowed to be used, but people did anyway which is why we would never be able to put a stop to Razor on this shard, and why people use Razor on production shards as well: there is no way to detect its use. You can limit some of the features, but not most.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

tunguska

Post by tunguska »

Corbin wrote:Here's the thing though, UOA was a paid program that only about 5% of the population had back in '99. I played UO on production shards for 10 years and never bought it myself. And did anyone check to see when UOA actually became a legal 3PP to use in UO? Till EA made their list of programs that were allowed, nothing was actually allowed to be used, but people did anyway which is why we would never be able to put a stop to Razor on this shard, and why people use Razor on production shards as well: there is no way to detect its use. You can limit some of the features, but not most.
Yup. Most people did use UOloop though.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Corbin wrote:Here's the thing though, UOA was a paid program that only about 5% of the population had back in '99. I played UO on production shards for 10 years and never bought it myself. And did anyone check to see when UOA actually became a legal 3PP to use in UO? Till EA made their list of programs that were allowed, nothing was actually allowed to be used, but people did anyway which is why we would never be able to put a stop to Razor on this shard, and why people use Razor on production shards as well: there is no way to detect its use. You can limit some of the features, but not most.
LONG before Nov' 99 (cutoff date). I'd say well more than 5% of the population used it before then, most the people I knew were using UOA, which was what convinced me to get it (crappy arm/disarm macros in the client and clicking potions = fail pvp)
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

The 5% of the population (it was higher then that IMO) are the people that are playing here now.
[broken image]