Statloss and Skill Gain:New Players

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Neoptolemos

Re: Statloss and Skill Gain:New Players

Post by Neoptolemos »

Maldoror wrote:You´re right on that, but if we put more barriers on PK that would kill the Pk population, i know ppl dont like to be killed and robbed, and some ppl get very upset with that, but a server without Pking, to me, doenst make any sense.
I noticed there are far more reds then there was on OSI back in the day. Once statloss hit the overwhelming majority of PvP was orange vs orange. Here everyone and their mother is red. Not that I mind since I made many a throwaway dexxer pk back in the day, but its something to point out.

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

I'm coming to believe more and more that the why to keep pk's down is for people to kill them. Without introducing inaccurate mechanics, the only foreseeable mechanical change would be an adjustment to (presumably) slow down skill gain. Then you have the important policy decision: afk macroing is allowed. Changing that seems neither plausible for current staff nor desired by most of the population (more time would be lost actually raising skills than is lost being smart, getting ressed, re-equiping).

So what you're left with is this: people should attack and kill pk's more, rather than running. Your potential loss is, say, 10k worth of loot (significantly more for a prepared dexxer). Your potential gain, as felix said, is having one particular red character dead for 3 days + macro gold.

Just my .02.

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Inaccurate suggestion, make stat loss hit on death. Highly doubt this would be implemented, but I bet it would deter many a pk :).

Twomper

Post by Twomper »

Neoptolemos wrote:I noticed there are far more reds then there was on OSI back in the day. Once statloss hit the overwhelming majority of PvP was orange vs orange. Here everyone and their mother is red. Not that I mind since I made many a throwaway dexxer pk back in the day, but its something to point out.
Same here. When I played OSI after beta and early into T2A there were large red populations in the "Dread Lord" days before the Karma / Fame system, but once OSI introduced stat loss and removed the "Great Lord / Dread Lord" system the number of reds greatly fell. I think the hardest thing, as a relatively new player, on this shard is finding hunting spaces where a OMGWTFBBQHAX rape pack of 5-10 reds and their blue healer friends don't roll through every 20-30 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the server for what it is and think that is has captured the spirit of early T2A OSI shards pretty well. I just think that PKs are overrepresented and "antis" are underrepresented. It was rare for me, on Baja and Sonoma, to encounter large packs of reds. Most of the time I was out adventuring and I ran into a PK they would be solo, or rolling with one or two friends.

As I've read in earlier posts striving for mechanical and physical accuracy is much easier, and less frustrating, than re-creating societal accuracy. Between 1998 - early 2000 (Trinsic invasion and just after) most players sought to kill PKs, but on this server it seems that everyone attempts to create them.

The biggest issues I think this shard will face in the long run is that when long time players have 15 characters and 15 houses there are very few places for new homesteaders and the number of PKs will scare off a pretty fair number of newer players and discourage many others from getting too involved in the game.

Derrick, I don't know the numbers because I don't have access to them, but I would imagine that you have a fair level of "new player attrition" where someone will play the shard for 1-3 weeks and then never come back, leaving mid-level characters behind in the process. Can you speak to this at all?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I macro up new characters all the time, doing it from statloss would be a hop skip and a jump. Statloss is a couple days give or take set back, might as well res then gunk up your account trying to wait out your counts.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.