What should be done about stamina in tournaments?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Which of these should it be?

Tournaments should be left the way they are.
44%
Tournaments should allow unlimited refresh pots
18%
Tournaments should allow a total of 5 refresh pots per battle
9%
Tournaments should allow that you won't get full with food, which will enable you to gain stamina by eating food
29%

Total votes: 34

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: What should be done about stamina in tournaments?

Post by kill drizitz »

just lower the time for that spell only, its already been lowered to 60 seconds for all spells, so it shouldnt be impossible to just put for one spell. (talking about how long the cursor will stay up before disappearing)

OR just have the GM hosting the event boot someone for holding it too long within reason w.e

Sivrik

Post by Sivrik »

That's stupid lowering the time you can hold a spell.

And to answer lothain, yes it would make a difference if you were allowed a limited number of stam pots, because when your stam is drained or whatever and you got sufficient mana you can then at least chug a stam pot and go into a full attack with your weapon and everything. Yes, its true if your attacks keep failing eventually you will have lost all your stam pots and probably will end up losing the fight, however it gives the other templates at least a chance to attack more than once in the entire battle.
Clyde: if ur better than me u cheat..straight up

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

Precasting Greater Heal is NOT simply holding it. It is casting it, equipping a weapon and then unequiping and healing. Duration of holding the spell does not matter, but equipping a weapon, unequipping and casting does. If someone is just sitting there holding Greater Heal I will hit them with a weapon so it is ONLY effective if they precast, equip weapon, unequip and heal. It is very easy to moderate this and enforce this rule. No good dueler accepts precasting gheal as a tactic; the fight simply turns into whose weapon hits more. In the field anything goes, but for a duel it has always been the understood rule that precasting greater heal, equipping a weapon, unequipping, and healing was extremely lame.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Sivrik wrote:That's stupid lowering the time you can hold a spell.

And to answer lothain, yes it would make a difference if you were allowed a limited number of stam pots, because when your stam is drained or whatever and you got sufficient mana you can then at least chug a stam pot and go into a full attack with your weapon and everything. Yes, its true if your attacks keep failing eventually you will have lost all your stam pots and probably will end up losing the fight, however it gives the other templates at least a chance to attack more than once in the entire battle.

hi, im "pvp" i dont believe weve met.....
BloodyBandage wrote:Precasting Greater Heal is NOT simply holding it. It is casting it, equipping a weapon and then unequiping and healing. Duration of holding the spell does not matter, but equipping a weapon, unequipping and casting does. If someone is just sitting there holding Greater Heal I will hit them with a weapon so it is ONLY effective if they precast, equip weapon, unequip and heal. It is very easy to moderate this and enforce this rule. No good dueler accepts precasting gheal as a tactic; the fight simply turns into whose weapon hits more. In the field anything goes, but for a duel it has always been the understood rule that precasting greater heal, equipping a weapon, unequipping, and healing was extremely lame.

i disagree, holding it still matter, though i think you should be able to hold it no longer than 10 secs in a duel no matter what (i would still go less)

qtip

Post by qtip »

People will do anything to win though Bloody.

I always thought the use of 1 TR pot in a tournament setting was acceptable; but if you're going to use TR potionss(even just 1), you might as well let players use 1 of all the potions right? I like the idea of resetting a players full status.

In practice a macer is suppose to outlast you while they drain your stamina. Think of them as a ticking time bomb that gets closer to blowing up everytime you get hit. Get out of the way and/or shut them down quickly. Easier said than done but I used to deal with the stick swingers that way.

side note: Always found it lame there was no side affect or special moves for fence/sword until uo:r

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

qtip wrote:People will do anything to win though Bloody.

I always thought the use of 1 TR pot in a tournament setting was acceptable; but if you're going to use TR potionss(even just 1), you might as well let players use 1 of all the potions right? I like the idea of resetting a players full status.

In practice a macer is suppose to outlast you while they drain your stamina. Think of them as a ticking time bomb that gets closer to blowing up everytime you get hit. Get out of the way and/or shut them down quickly. Easier said than done but I used to deal with the stick swingers that way.

side note: Always found it lame there was no side affect or special moves for fence/sword until uo:r

dont think that can be done considering they are free use events. just one TR potion can be use unlimited times. this could be the answer

:mrgreen:

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

Sivrik wrote: And to answer Lothain, yes it would make a difference if you were allowed a limited number of stam pots, because when your stam is drained or whatever and you got sufficient mana you can then at least chug a stam pot and go into a full attack with your weapon and everything. Yes, its true if your attacks keep failing eventually you will have lost all your stam pots and probably will end up losing the fight, however it gives the other templates at least a chance to attack more than once in the entire battle.
But if you are set to extremely hungry before each match, then you can at least bring your stam up a few times during it (eating grapes or apples instead of birds); and if they stay alive by precasting gheal for those times, what's to stop them from doing it for the 5 more attacks you'd make on them with stam pots?

Kylock

Post by Kylock »

BloodyBandage wrote:Addressing the stamina issue might be like trying to cure a symptom rather than the disease. Perhaps it is precasting Greater Heal during duels that is throwing everything off and not the stamina?
Tournaments are played by people who want to win them usually, so they'll precast gheal if they want to stay alive. It's a cheap method, but it's the same as paralyzing dexxies & spamming magic arrow/hally hits. Like someone else said, shouldn't try to change server ruleset just for tournaments. If you don't like em, don't play em.

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

100% agree

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

if you think stam is a huge advantage switch to macing. :roll:
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Kylock wrote: Tournaments are played by people who want to win them usually, so they'll precast gheal if they want to stay alive. It's a cheap method, but it's the same as paralyzing dexxies & spamming magic arrow/hally hits. Like someone else said, shouldn't try to change server ruleset just for tournaments. If you don't like em, don't play em.
the whole point of a tournament system is to have FAIR duels. which means that tournys SHOULD have completely different rules. I.E. no precast healing, no pots, no magic weps, no jewlery

macing is tuff but precasting must go. the stam problem is much less important then precasting healing. ppl giving up in tournaments makes the shard look like a joke imo.

Falx

Post by Falx »

Like I said before, this is how UO is and always has been.

Dont like it? Dont play in no pot tourneys.

Ask Derrick to set up some potion tourneys, problem solved.

Clyde-

Post by Clyde- »

If we dont change anything about the stamina i'd be fine AS LONG AS precasting gheal wasn't allowed. Its total bullshit when you fight a med macer or eval macer and they just hold gheal up the whole time and whack you with qstaff until you can't move. Then they start attacking, its lame as shit. Its near impossible to kill a macer in a no pot tourny when they hold gheal up and can heal through anything...
-cr3w-

Falx

Post by Falx »

in what server, what ruleset, what thing EVER have you heard of not having a spell precast allowed?

Again, THIS IS HOW UO WAS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, your talking about a basic game mechanic in UO, it cant be changed, and to not allow precast gheal is a laff! Either play a macer yourself, or dont participate in no pot tourneys. (which are lame anyways, since we all know none of that shit flys outside of a 6x6 box)

alatar

Post by alatar »

how about you just change the script to allow all the refresh potions you want, just don't make them free-use...
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.