Getting guard whacked outside the guard zone.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Getting guard whacked outside the guard zone.

Post by Kaivan »

nightshark wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
  • Poison ticks are not considered attacks (that is, each tick is not considered you attacking the victim).
I was sure of this one, but didn't mention it because I was certain it would be shut down. Poison ticks shouldn't get you guard whacked.

I don't know if you want to check this one either, because in a way it isn't relevant - but I believe you shouldn't receive a "xxxxx is attacking you!" message on running through a firewall. I'm not sure a firewall should count toward murder counts, period. If I had the bandwidth for downloading the demo there's so much crap I'd test. Once I can afford to change ISPs I will test a whole lot of shit.

edit: firewall, lol... too much 1998 battlenet
I didn't test the fire wall, but I can. However, here is some information about murder counts and fire field spells from the 3/19/99 patch notes:
Energy vortexes and blade spirits will function a lot like the field spells with regards to the reputation consequences. They still attack victims normally, and the caster is completly responsible for their actions. This includes being cast as a murderer should the blade spirit/ vortex attack and contribute to the death of the victim. However, merely running into a blade spirit or energy vortex will no longer be grounds for reporting the caster for murder. The caster will become criminal should someone take indirect damage from such a spell, but much like fire field, they will not be reportable for murder.
nightshark wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Ok, this took a while to find the answer for (had to work through the scripts), but these spells can be set up to have guards be called at any time that they want. For example, it is possible for them to have the spell act as an aggressive action at the beginning (like we see across the board with the demo), or they can have it act as an aggressive action at the moment that damage is done. All it really requires is that they move the variables around to different portions of the script.
What does "can be set up" mean? Any time who wants? Where is the guard check done in the demo? Beginning, end, or both?
When I say set up, I mean physically setting up the script on the server.

As for the guard whack check, it's done at essentially the same time that the animation is played, which is done as soon as the spell is targeted.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Theres a new update to test.uosecondage.com

It incorporates the current changes to guard zones which are now expected to go live.

While we have identified a few limitations in the way guard calling works in this patch vs. OSI, the overall accuracy level of this patch is 10 fold above what we have currently. The question of calling guards across long distances will have to remain future work for now.

The primary changes that were published last night and this evening:
  • Poison "ticks" are not attacks, and you will not be guard whacked solely due to them. You can be guard whacked if you poison someone in town, on the initial application of the poison (be it by spell or weapon)
  • Creating a Firefield directly on top of somone will make you eligible for a murder count; but having someone walk into your firefield will not.
  • There is no LOS for calling guards.
  • In order to call guards on criminal, you must be a witness to the crime.
    • this generally means that you actually saw the message "You see Davy attacking Ringo" or "You see chumbucket trying to steal a mandrake root from your mother"
    • As always, anyone may call the guards on a murderer in town
  • Paralyze and debuff will make you eligible for a murder count
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

Kaivan wrote:a victimless crime such as looting a corpse.
You don't really consider looting a blue corpse to be an victimless crime, do you?
"In case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and good night."

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

i haven't read this thread yet but i will.

i will say that in my experience, guards who were called outside the zone would often teleport up to any murderer in LOS and whack them too, no matter how many there were. it was EASY to get guard whacked back in the day.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Matty wrote:i haven't read this thread yet but i will.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Scenario 2: A player recalls right after an explosion is cast on them and calls guards once the explosion hits while standing in guards.

Again, in this scenario, the explosion damage is assessed in town, and as such, so is the criminal action. When the witness check is done, the attacker is very far away from the criminal action and will not be killed.
Please describe "very far away" because i've been killed many times when I can not even see the person that ran to the guard zone and I am not standing in a guard zone and am at least an entire screen out of the guard zone. Perhaps i'm not understanding?
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

From page 8:
Kaivan wrote:Again, in this scenario, if the attacker can put more than 25 tiles distance between the victim and himself before the explosion goes off, when the victim calls guards, the criminal will not be punishable because he is more than 25 tiles away from the crime (I point out this scenario because it happened regularly during UO:R and any knowledgeable player could get out of range of guards and never get guard whacked).
Last edited by nightshark on Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Interesting. I'll have to go pace that off sometime and see how far it is.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro